Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Gripes
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2009, 10:43 PM
Sarah G. Davie

Default Aren't we supposed to have wireless in all the dorms?

Brown doesn't have it yet, but I vaguely remember getting an email last week saying it should. hmmmm.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:34 PM
Ranger Cub

I thought it did for some reason? I thought they all did, but I think the T/B lounge does.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:12 AM
Ranger Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah G. Davie
Brown doesn't have it yet, but I vaguely remember getting an email last week saying it should. hmmmm.

Try making sure you're wireless radio is on first, and then connect to the Drew server. If it doesn't work you should probably give the Telecom a call.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudi A. Jones
Try making sure you're wireless radio is on first, and then connect to the Drew server. If it doesn't work you should probably give the Telecom a call.

Not Telecom, the Helpdesk, 3205.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Ranger Cub

Quote:

Have you tried turning on the wireless switch? A little wireless light below the screen (next to the power lights) should light up when the switch is on. If the switch is in the on position and the light is not lit, pressing Fn + F5 should bring up a dialog where you can enable your wireless.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:23 PM
Squirrel

Default Yes!

I was out checking today and everywhere in brown (ok, I didn't check the laundry room) should have a usable wireless signal.

There was an issue I fixed on Monday afternoon that might have made it hard to get a signal in some places, but right now? Everything was covered.

If you're still having problems, give the helpdesk a call at x3205.

Chris Stave
CNS
Old 09-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Sarah G. Davie

Ok so I have wireless now, and it's an OK signal [2 bars] in my room, but if I want to use the internet cable in my room it won't work - now I can only use wireless, even if I want to use the internet cable and don't want to keep reconnecting every time I turn my computer on. Can I fix this?
Old 09-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Squirrel

Yes! if you have a dead network jack, give the helpdesk a call at x3205!
Old 09-16-2009, 10:11 AM
Ranger Cub

Quote:
Ok so I have wireless now, and it's an OK signal [2 bars] in my room, but if I want to use the internet cable in my room it won't work - now I can only use wireless, even if I want to use the internet cable and don't want to keep reconnecting every time I turn my computer on. Can I fix this?

Sarah, do you have one of the new Drew computers? If so, I've noticed that, if you have the wireless switch on the front of the computer turned on (so that you can get wireless connections), the computer automatically defaults to wireless access, even when you are plugged in with an Ethernet cable.

When you want to use the cable to connect to the Drew LAN, turn the wireless switch off, plug in your Ethernet cable, log off, and then log back in to your computer (making sure that you are using the ON CAMPUS login, no Off Campus).

Try this out before calling the Helpdesk about your Ethernet jack. Of course, any time that you want to get wireless you will have to remember to turn the switch on the front of the computer back on before it will connect.

If you need help with any of this, please come down to the Student Technology Education Lab - basement of Brothers College, right across the hall from the CNS Helpdesk. You can also call for assistance at ex. 3003.

Krista

Last edited by Krista White : 09-18-2009 at 08:40 AM.