Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students > Current CLA students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2005, 02:40 PM
Robert Wnorowski

Default Meal Plan

Last edited by Robert Wnorowski : 04-21-2006 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:33 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

Well, for the first few weeks of the semester, you can switch, using a form at the registrar's office. And they're all the same cost, so it's really easy.

19 meals a week means that you have three meals a day during the week, and two a day during the weekend. Now, that's great, if you like getting up extra early for breakfast. Look at your first class. Look at whatever time you'd have to wake up to get there on time. Compare that with 20-30 minutes less of sleep. If that's for you, then great! If not, consider going to the 14 or 10 meal plan. Also, on the weekends, Drew has less workers, so the quality and variety of food goes down. For some, this is a bigger deal than others.
If you're on the 14 or 10 meal plan, you get points on your card that can be used at the snack bar, or to get in to the commons, if you want to go to the commons more times than is on your plan. If you're on the 19 meal plan, you can spend a meal at the snack bar and get a certain amount of money there (I think it's like $4.50 or something, very little for supper).
but, since you can change, you can try it for a week or so, then switch, and then still have time to switch back before they don't let you change any more.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:33 PM
Gary A. Hochman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Wnorowski
I am currently signed up for the 19 Meals a week plan, but I was wondering if that is a wise choice? What exactly are the plans' points for and is it better to have less meals and more points?

I'd say it is probably best to start on the 14 meal plan. I know very few people who use all 19 meals at the commons, and this way you can try out the snackbar, java city, and the space with your points. With the 14 meal plan you get 157 points for the snack bar, and with the 10 meal plan you get 254.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:41 PM
Marla B. Rosenfeld

so, if one is on the 10-meal plan and receives the 154 points, how much is, say, a cup of coffee or a cookie at the java place? what i'm asking is the approx. amt. of points for an item at an outside-of-the-cafe place..
Old 08-07-2005, 07:10 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

I've found that items at drew are slightly overpriced. Nothing too bad, but they could be cheaper. I'm not sure how much coffee or cookies cost, though.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:25 PM
Gary A. Hochman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marla B. Rosenfeld
so, if one is on the 10-meal plan and receives the 154 points, how much is, say, a cup of coffee or a cookie at the java place? what i'm asking is the approx. amt. of points for an item at an outside-of-the-cafe place..

Id say prices are on par, or a little above, prices at similar places off campus. I can't remember exactly, so I may be wrong on this, but Java City is probably pretty similar to Starbucks pricing. I'll check on this tommorow.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:52 PM
Christopher J. Carpenter

Yes, those are just the different options for grabbing something to eat on campus. They probably have slightly different operating hours so depending on what time you have a craving for food- that might decide where you go for the: It's-late-and-I-Don't-Want-To-Do-This-Paper-Snack.

At least I think I'm right, but of course, I could be wrong.

And why have two minifridges in a dorm? Can you share one? Save space?
Old 08-08-2005, 02:44 PM
Dia O'Neil

you will never eat 19 meals at the commons, unless you like having the same thing for every meal. someone mentioned starting with the 14 meal plan and working down to the 10, which i agree with. 14 should be fine, and you might discover, like me, that you really only need the 10. it all depends on your schedule, but 19? you'll definitely be kicking yourself later. i usually only eat weekend brunch and dinner during the week at the commons, occasionally slipping in lunch here and there. get to know your schedule and then you can adjust it accordingly.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:13 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

Aramark's Drew page is here, but it's kind of annoying.

Basically, the commons is your regular cafeteria. All you can eat, open for lunch and dinner (about two hours each) all week, breakfast during the week. You can use meals here, or use points if you're out of meals for the week, or pay money.
The snack bar is a la carte. You can only use points or money here, unless you're on the 19-meal plan.
Java city has coffee and other starbucks-like drinks, as far as I can tell, since I don't go there.
The space is open late at night, only some days of the week, I think. They serve a very reduced menu. chicken fingers, pizza, onion rings, cookies, mozzarella sticks. It takes points or cash.
TOE (The Other End) is a student-run coffeehouse. It has lots of drinks (coffees, teas, sodas) and has desserts (brownies, cakes). Cash only.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:52 AM
Amanda L. Brennan

TOE also has music! and Fun! and Love! and our famous nachos and quesadillas with homemade salsa. mmmmmmmmmmmm.