Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Technology Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2008, 11:34 PM
Kristofer W. Keyser

Default removal of novell for seniors

Hi.
I'm a senior about to graduate ,and I would like to remove all of the Novell ZenWorks, keyaccess, etc,etc from my computer. I imagine the function they serve is only specific to being on Drew's campus, and as such, I'd like to get them off my computer and thus improve its performance. Is there a specific way this should be done to minimize potential damage to my computer, or can I just uninstall everything using add/remove programs?

Thanks,
Kris Keyser
Old 05-07-2008, 03:46 PM

There is a specific way to remove the Drew customization from your computer, doing that incorrectly could lock you out of your own machine inadvertantly.

The easiest way for you to undeploy your machine is to drop it off at the CNS Helpdesk once you are done with all of your papers and finals. We've got a huge backlog of computers to process right now, but we'd be able to ship your computer back to you once undeployed over the summer.

There is also a faster way to undeploy your machine, by having it re-imaged with an undeployed image that will be done hopefully later today. Back up everything you want to keep (papers, MP3s, pictures, other files), and then have it re-imaged at the helpdesk.

Finally, if you feel you are comfortable handling undeployment yourself, you could contact the CNS Helpdesk for the steps. We'll be open through the 14th, and re-open the 19th.

Good luck with finals!

the Enterprise Technology Center
Old 05-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Lauren J. Kane

Is there a way I can get a CD/DVD of the drivers/programs to be able to reimage the computer myself + the directions on how to remove novell. I would like to have this in case my machine needs reimaging in the future.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren J. Kane
Is there a way I can get a CD/DVD of the drivers/programs to be able to reimage the computer myself + the directions on how to remove novell. I would like to have this in case my machine needs reimaging in the future.

We don't have driver CDs per se--usually just an original factory image which would now be woefully out of date. The best bet if you ever reinstall your OS is to go to Lenovo's website and download the drivers (actually you download the System Update utility and it takes care of the rest.) That way you're sure to get the latest ones anyway.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:41 AM
Joseph J. Melnick

I was planning on reformatting my computer once I finished up with school and I was wondering if, having purchased the drew laptop, have a licensed copy of one that we are entilted to?

That question might be a bit confusing. I guess what i'm asking is there a boot CD that I could have to reformat the drive or at thevery least a serial key so that I don't need to purchase another copy of XP if I want to reformat.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:23 AM
Joseph J. Melnick

still wondering about this... any help?
Old 05-13-2008, 05:07 PM
Ranger Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph J. Melnick
I was planning on reformatting my computer once I finished up with school and I was wondering if, having purchased the drew laptop, have a licensed copy of one that we are entilted to?

That question might be a bit confusing. I guess what i'm asking is there a boot CD that I could have to reformat the drive or at thevery least a serial key so that I don't need to purchase another copy of XP if I want to reformat.

There is a Windows XP Professional OEM key on the bottom of your computer which you can use to install Windows XP with. I don't believe that there are CD's available for you here, although one may have come with your computer in the accessories pack. Unfortunately, we can't give out the CD or product key that CNS uses since that's volume licensed. Your best bet might be to call either microsoft or lenovo and ask for media. Explain that you have a valid product key but that you don't have the media for it, they might be able to send you a cd.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph J. Melnick

I contacted our Lenovo rep who directed me to this website:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...id=MIGR-4M7HWZ

We recommend that you have your computer reimaged with the undeployed senior image, then make a base backup using Rescue & Recovery so you have a snapshot of your laptop including the Microsoft Office Suite, etc. Please feel free to call the helpdesk or myself if you have any questions.

Last edited by Betsy Black : 05-14-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:57 AM
Amanda L. Brennan

Can we still come in over the summer to get Novell taken off? I totally forgot to do it this week.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda L. Brennan
Can we still come in over the summer to get Novell taken off? I totally forgot to do it this week.
Certainly! You can stop by in person, or ship your laptop to us. The helpdesk re-opens on Monday, and will be open from 9 AM to 5 PM through the summer. Give us a call, and we'll provide you with all the details.

the Enterprise Technology Center