Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Technology Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2009, 12:41 PM
Ranger Cub

Default Ethernet wall jack issues

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to bring this up, so if I'm in error, Mods can feel free (not that they couldn't anyway) to move this to the correct area.

In the Tolley/Brown lounge, several of the ethernet jacks on the wall only provide "Limited or no Connectivity" when used. Specifically, only two of the four in the TV room nearest the Tolley end of the lounge (near the soda machines) actually provide a connection. Assorted others around the room seem to have the same problem. In troubleshooting, the problem was persistent across multiple machines, and it appears none of the computers attached were being assigned IP addresses.

I haven't seen any other posts on this topic, so I assume that nobody bothered to report this as an issue. I hope alerting someone to this helps it get fixed. Thanks!

-James
Old 09-25-2009, 02:33 PM
Ranger Cub

There's WiFi in the lounges (and the freshman dorms too), so there's no need to use the ethernet cables - maybe they disconnected them because of the WiFi.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:44 PM
Ranger Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A. Matarrese
.... Assorted others around the room seem to have the same problem. In troubleshooting, the problem was persistent across multiple machines, and it appears none of the computers attached were being assigned IP addresses.

I haven't seen any other posts on this topic, so I assume that nobody bothered to report this as an issue. I hope alerting someone to this helps it get fixed. Thanks!

-James

James, I've been seeing two causes for this kind of behavior in the Drew laptops. Some computers will not recognize an Ethernet cable unless the wireless radio switch on the front of the computer is turned off. This could be the issue.

The other cause may be that users are logging on with the "Off Campus" login, even though they are on campus. Even when using wireless, the "On Campus" login option should always be used when you are on campus. The "Off Campus" option should only be used when you leave Drew.

Hope this helps!
Krista
Old 09-25-2009, 04:58 PM

Actually, this sounds like something we need to check - the jacks are supposed to work. I've opened up an inquiry in our helpdesk software for the issue.

Last edited by Paul R. Coen : 09-25-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:21 PM
Squirrel

After examining the jacks in the Tolley Brown Lounge, I am happy to report that all of them should now be working. There were two jacks in one of the interior rooms that were misconfigured and would not work, but those have been fixed at this point.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:06 AM
Ranger Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher L. Stave
After examining the jacks in the Tolley Brown Lounge, I am happy to report that all of them should now be working. There were two jacks in one of the interior rooms that were misconfigured and would not work, but those have been fixed at this point.
Thanks a lot! I figured it was fixable, but without administrator...abilities...not much I could do on my own. CNS keeps rocking it!