Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Gripes
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2005, 04:18 PM
Noah C. Rosenfield

Default Bandwidth Distribution

I am really disappointed in the fact that all online gaming gets little to no bandwidth. Net Enforcer, or whatever it is they use, really screws me over. I was told it was put in during the Napster era to stop all the bandwidth usage from that, but that's done now! Napster doesn't exist anymore, so don't you think it's time for a new system? Even during times when the overall campus usage is low I can't get a decent connection. It's always laggy. I think this is dumb. Why don't we get something new?
Old 10-12-2005, 04:44 PM
Amanda L. Brennan

Yeah...I've been suffering major MapleStory withdrawals. and the LJ community posting about their awesome adventures doesn't help at all. I'm so excited to go home tomorrow.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:44 PM
Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah C. Rosenfield
I am really disappointed in the fact that all online gaming gets little to no bandwidth. Net Enforcer, or whatever it is they use, really screws me over. I was told it was put in during the Napster era to stop all the bandwidth usage from that, but that's done now! Napster doesn't exist anymore, so don't you think it's time for a new system? Even during times when the overall campus usage is low I can't get a decent connection. It's always laggy. I think this is dumb. Why don't we get something new?

Hi Noah,
Sorry if you are disappointed, but I want to at least clarify some things. The NetEnforcer is the new product, purchased & integrated this year. What we had during the Napster days was a product called Packetshaper by Packeteer. In the months leading up to acquiring the Packetshaper, the internet had become completely unusable, much like what would happen if we turned off the NetEnforcer now.

As you have said, Napster doesn't exist anymore- at least, not in the same way. But BitTorrent does. And Gnutella, Blubster, Ares, eDonkey, Soulseek and many many others.

Believe it or not, we're constantly trying to find ways to improve service and optimize the NetEnforcer in the way it best suits the entire Drew community.

Now for the important part. We do not actively limit bandwidth and reduce priority for anything except P2P programs, such as with the examples I listed above. We do however try and guarantee a certain level of reliability to mission critical applications like EMail, Web, DNS, IM even, and any kind of online learning resource. There may be times where these applications are being so heavily used that lower priority classifications like Games would not have as much bandwidth to work with.

Let's just say, I wouldn't be so quick to blame Drew's network whenever something on the internet is slow. Even on an average day like today, I've been monitoring our connection and we've had plenty of free bandwidth available for the better part of the day. If I started up an online game right now, provided there was a clear connection from here to the remote server (-- keep in mind you can go through 10-20 hosts to get to a remote site, each of which can lag your connection, or the remote site itself could just be lagging), there's no reason why it shouldn't work fine- There's plenty of bandwidth for it, and no restrictions in place that would reduce the quality or speed of the connection.

Hope I answered some of your questions and concerns. Like I said we are always trying to improve the way the NetEnforcer is configured and to make the most out of our internet bandwidth.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:14 PM
Elder Drewid

mmmm...bittorrent....i mean what? who said that?

anyways, the obvious solution to your problem, noah, is to come game at golly's house. yay for golly's house!
Old 10-12-2005, 08:38 PM
Amanda L. Brennan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golly Tabatabaie
mmmm...bittorrent....i mean what? who said that?

anyways, the obvious solution to your problem, noah, is to come game at golly's house. yay for golly's house!

do you have internet yet?
can i come over?
Old 10-12-2005, 09:09 PM
Gary A. Hochman

Quote:

1. If you think that just because Napster is gone that no one on campus uses file sharing programs you would be sorely mistaken.

2. Online gaming, while something I enjoy as well, is not the primary purpose of the campus network. First and foremost it is supposed to be an educational resource. That being said, I wouldnt imagine providing a lag free gaming experience is real high up on the priority list.

I'm pretty sure that there are a lot more restrictive ways that the network could be set up, so personally I'm not itching for a new system. It isnt like games are currently completely unplayable either.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:14 PM
Noah C. Rosenfield

well, i don't know the inner workings of drew's network. however, i do know that attempting to play halo 2 on xbox live has become utterly impossible. as you said, there should be plenty of free bandwidth, but alas it doesn't seem to exist when i call upon it for gaming.

and of course i know that p2p programs are abundant these days. however, i don't think that they are currently causing nearly as huge a bandwidth consumption as napster did, so equating the two doesn't seem quite right to me. as far as the primary purpose of the network being for education, well, of course it is. i never said that lag free gaming should come first. it would just be nice to be able to continue to use the console, games, and subscription which i've paid for already. and finally, when it comes to the games being completely unplayable, i'm not quite sure i can agree with that based on what i've had to deal with these past few days.

hopefully the situation will improve this weekend when most people head back home. if i still can't seem to get a decent connection (mind you all i want is decent. i'm not asking for perfection) i'm going to be rather disappointed.

it just seems silly that i can use the internet for non-educational purposes (downloading random videos, files, games) and have a transfer rate of 150KB/sec, but when i want that same bandwidth for gaming it just isn't there! a third of that would be more than satisfactory, but it just isn't there.

on a side note, there isn't some compatibility issue with Xbox Live and Drew's network is there? because if there is all this available bandwidth like david said, how come Xbox Live is so laggy?
Old 10-13-2005, 11:16 AM
Junior Drewid

Default Wow!

Seems like there's a lot of high intensity use of the network going on. No wonder I'm getting unaccustomed delays with database searching and blogs and so forth. (Yeah, yeah, I'm spoiled. I came from Lehigh, which has 5 T3 connections and another connection to the Internet2 network. On the other hand, Lehigh's network would slow to a crawl just before and after dinnertime everyday when everyone was tapping the network.) Busy busy busy people out there, huh?
-- Jenne
Old 10-13-2005, 11:32 PM
Noah C. Rosenfield

GOD DAMN! i was told what the problem is by someone who seems to know.

it's the upload cap they have in place. THAT'S the problem. man, i knew there had to be something other than general network use.

and as for the purpose of the cap, i was told that it is to keep people from being able to run servers on campus. this is a perfectly legit concern.

however, i think that we could definitely find a compromise here with whoever is in charge of the bandwidth cap. unfortuneately i have no idea what the cap is set at. but i can almost guarantee it could be raised to something which would make gaming more possible yet keep it unfeasable to run a server. anyone else agree with me on this? and does anyone know who we need to talk to about getting the cap raised???
Old 10-14-2005, 12:21 AM
Zachary C. Kanfer

Quote:
it just seems silly that i can use the internet for non-educational purposes (downloading random videos, files, games) and have a transfer rate of 150KB/sec, but when i want that same bandwidth for gaming it just isn't there! a third of that would be more than satisfactory, but it just isn't there.

however, when you're downloading files, you're generally not downloading the file for hours at a time. When you're playing Xbox online, you are downloading for hours.

also, the upload issue. Although, I'm not sure how symmetric the network is.