Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students > Current CLA students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2006, 09:19 AM
Stacy Lewis

Default Printers

Hi everyone,
I'm just curious...we're not provided printers along with our laptops correct? My Dad thought he read somewhere in my massive pile of Drew paperwork that the freshmen got printers and the laptop, but I don't remember there being anything about paying for a printer (and i'm sure we don't just get them free). If we don't, should I bring a printer? Print stuff at library all the time? advice would be really appreciated. thanks!
-stacy lewis
Old 08-02-2006, 09:54 AM
Dia O'Neil

not sure about this year's policies, but the library charges 5 cents a page. after two or three 20 page papers, it gets to be a bit costly/annoying. SO, if drew isn't providing one, i'd recommend investing in a cheap one.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:13 AM

Default Printing

Before 2005, we provided printers as part of the package, but we changed that when it became a separate charge. You may have found some materials that hadn't been updated--or date from before the change.

We do have pay for printing in the library and in the CNS Helpdesk, but many students bring their own printers. We used to get low-cost HP inkjet printers for the students, and they're still cheap although you spend a lot on ink, and we had lots of problems with them breaking down, and it's cheaper to throw them out and get a new one than fixing them. This is just personal opinion and not official policy, but I'd suggest something like the HP LaserJet 1020 (it's a laser printer, black and white, costs a little more initially but you'll save tons on ink since the toner cartridge is good for thousands of pages) or perhaps a multifunction printer/scanner. If you're going to print a lot of photos you might want a 4x6 photo printer as well(although it's cheaper to go to a drugstore or Staples if you can--unfortunately the CVS in Madison closed last year). Basically, any printer that can print black text on 8.5"x11" pages will likely meet your academic needs. You also may want to coordinate with your roommate and only bring one printer, or bring different function ones and split paper and ink/toner.

Some professors are accepting assignments electronically too, nowadays, but you have to ask their policy (many still want printed copies to grade, and they don't want to bear the cost of printing.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy Lewis
Hi everyone,
I'm just curious...we're not provided printers along with our laptops correct? My Dad thought he read somewhere in my massive pile of Drew paperwork that the freshmen got printers and the laptop, but I don't remember there being anything about paying for a printer (and i'm sure we don't just get them free). If we don't, should I bring a printer? Print stuff at library all the time? advice would be really appreciated. thanks!
-stacy lewis
Old 08-02-2006, 12:36 PM
Benjamin R. Shedlock

The library has crappy hours. So do roommates and floormates. Bring a printer, because there will be that (those) night(s) when you're finishing (a) paper(s) at 4 am (if you're lucky) and there will be nowhere else to print it for your 8:45 class. And you won't want to wake up 30 minutes early to go to the library to print it after that little sleep. Moral of the story: Having your own printer makes life easier.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:56 PM
Benjamin R. Shedlock

Well, like you say, no matter where you go, something is going to cost you something.

The problem I had with Drew's computer thing is that my life had been spend on macs before I got to Drew. My parents even bought me a mac mini for HS graduation because they felt bad for me. But Drew does offer free and complete support on your Drew computer, so consider the 800 dollars (yes, it does need to be rationalized) an investment towards the excellent service they do provide. I've never had problems with it. They are great, the computers are the problems.

As for printing costs, you'd probably use them at home anyway. I know I go on photo printing binges now and then, and my wall was covered with stuff I printed last year, so my printer was an important part of staying connected to home. It sucks, yeah, but keep it in perspective. And once you're at Drew the cost isn't gonna matter to you as much once you see what you're getting.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:38 PM

Default Computer and printer costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Glickman
I don't know about you guys, but this is just crazy. It's not like college costs an obscene amount of money, and we're required to get their computer at hmm... at least $800 more than other computers on the market, but paying for printing? I had always thought we didn't have to. I was planning on saving my papers to a disk and printing them out at the library or computer lab. Now I have to buy a printer and ink?

What? Actually, our computer is considerably less than the list price for that model. It's less than the standard educational price -- plus, buying on your own, you can't really get a 4-year warranty with accidental damage protection. The idea is that these computers will still be adequate four years from now - about the only part you'd need to do anything with is replacing the battery as it wears out (should take 2 or 3 years to happen). Plus, you get Microsoft Office, etc. Trust me -- an $800 or $900 laptop is not the same thing as a $2,000+ model -- and that's what you're basically getting. Plus, we can actually support and repair the computers we provide.

And no, you don't have to say it to a diskette. You can save it to your personal network folder - everyone has one.

BTW, cost per page for your average inkjet is 9 or 10 cents -- make sure before you buy you know what the printer costs to run. On our side, $0.05 per page is just enough to cover materials and wear and tear on the laser printers for the library or the computer labs. You very well might save money by printing in the labs or the library.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Same here! All my schools have been Mac-based and I've had my iMac since I was 12, it still runs beautifully (of course I've updated the OS's a couple of times) and its never failed me. My parents were going to buy me the new MacBook too, but then realized the cost of the Drew computer.

BTW, a new MacBook of similar specs costs as much or more than the Drew laptop (depending on model), has a smaller, lower resolution screen, and doesn't come with any sort of accidental damage protection. And the MacBook is considered the consumer-grade laptop; to be fair you need to compare the ThinkPad to the MacBook Pro which is its market and functional equivalent. The ThinkPad pricing is much cheaper then. And yes, I'm including the Apple educational discount (which is around 5%).

We spec what we spec for a very good reason: The things are very reliable (again, you can look at PC magazines and consumer magazines for that evidence, don't rely on me), we have an on-site technician who can repair problems (and now can even do accidental damage repairs; he used to be only able to do warranty work), and a uniform standard means we can focus less on getting everyone's specific computer to work or offering a limited set of services, and can help faculty and students use the devices to their potential. Apple makes some fine machines, but we have an integrated technology program for which the laptop is but one of many parts of providing high-quality support at what is ultimately a value for all.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:50 PM
Jacqueline DiLorenzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. Coen
What? Actually, our computer is considerably less than the list price for that model. It's less than the standard educational price -- plus, buying on your own, you can't really get a 4-year warranty with accidental damage protection. The idea is that these computers will still be adequate four years from now - about the only part you'd need to do anything with is replacing the battery as it wears out (should take 2 or 3 years to happen). Plus, you get Microsoft Office, etc. Trust me -- an $800 or $900 laptop is not the same thing as a $2,000+ model -- and that's what you're basically getting. Plus, we can actually support and repair the computers we provide.

And no, you don't have to say it to a diskette. You can save it to your personal network folder - everyone has one.

BTW, cost per page for your average inkjet is 9 or 10 cents -- make sure before you buy you know what the printer costs to run. On our side, $0.05 per page is just enough to cover materials and wear and tear on the laser printers for the library or the computer labs. You very well might save money by printing in the labs or the library.

What kind of software is installed on the computers? (Just out of curiosity.)
Old 08-02-2006, 05:43 PM
Raquel Cedeno

Thumbs down

Quote:
I've been talking to my friends about everything you have to pay for at college, including laundry, and the ridiculous amount of money books cost, and such. Colleges are seeming REALLY greedy to me.

Just to be able to afford tuition is hard enough. Honestly, you have to be either really poor and get financial aid (or cheat on your taxes), or you have to be really rich and have money pouring out of your pockets.

And where do average middle to upper middle class Americans fit? No where.

I KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL! i think the thing that bothers me the most is that the entire package for drew (including dorms) is close to $50,000 a year so for my family that is ALOT of dough (thank god for financial aid and scholarships). anyways when i went to see my dorm room (brown)...a prison cell came into mind. yea i know i dont have to live on campus but the point is with all that money per year, id expect a little more...i think rennovations are in order for brown and tolley atleast...ok thats just my opinion. exuse the rant but im not the only one with these thoughts...
Old 08-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqueline DiLorenzo
What kind of software is installed on the computers? (Just out of curiosity.)

The specs of the computers can be seen here. You're getting Windows XP Professional, Microsoft Office (including most, if not all of the extras you don't get basic Office), and various smaller stuff, like the business-level email client, cd burning software, etc.

And I just went to the lenovo site, and quickly customized a computer. Even without getting all the specs the same (the CPU was still slower), it cost over $2400. And that didn't include all the support you get from CNS.