Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Technology Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2005, 12:13 AM
Squirrel

Default Bypass the Blackboard menus?

Is there a way to get to Blackboard files through NetStorage (or through something like NetStorage)? I want to upload PowerPoint slides so they're available to students in my course (and these Web page menus are driving me crazy).
Old 09-08-2005, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Burd
Is there a way to get to Blackboard files through NetStorage (or through something like NetStorage)? I want to upload PowerPoint slides so they're available to students in my course (and these Web page menus are driving me crazy).
Nope. NetStorage is a front-end for the various NetWare volumes. The BlackBoard content repository is completely separate, and it does not expose a WebDAV interface or anything along those lines..

Why not just upload the files using NetStorage to the course webspace on K: and link to them from Bb, instead of trying to store them in Bb itself?

This also keeps files off the BlackBoard server which is not in the SAN, and is constrained space-wise to the hard drive on that server, so large media content can quickly consume space there.

We also recommend that files be stored on the NetWare Cluster because that service is set up in a fault-tolerant way, with multiple servers, and a multi-path SAN connecting those cluster servers to the SAN disks. Hands down, the most reliable, most performant way to share files at Drew will be to use the NetWare Cluster. Even the NetStorage front-end is set up in a fully redundant fashion...

The same cannot be said for BlackBoard, which is a single-server only configuration. This is not so much because we don't want to make it fault-tolerant, but more so, because unlocking the necessary features in the BlackBoard requires an Enterprise Edition license, which is cost prohibitive at the present time.

... but I digress.. The short answer is.. If you want to store files, I recommend using the Novell file services. BlackBoard is useful for a number of things.. For file sharing, it is not the best tool for the job, however.

Last edited by E. Axel Larsson : 09-08-2005 at 03:50 AM.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:27 PM
Squirrel

How do I link to the file on my K drive? I tried https://webdav.drew.edu/oneNet/NetSt.../Chapter01.ppt, but then I got a page-not-found error.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:14 PM

Quote:
How do I link to the file on my K drive? I tried https://webdav.drew.edu/oneNet/NetSt.../Chapter01.ppt, but then I got a page-not-found error.
Looks like you omitted the /reserve/ directory in between MATH-7-002 and Chapter01.ppt in that URL.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:41 PM
Squirrel

Now we have a problem with multiple sections of the same course. I can think of a few ways to solve the problem. But I wonder what's the most elegant way...
Fran Trees and I teach Calc (Math 7) Sections 1 and 2. We use the same BlackBoard course, but we have different folders on the K: drive. So if I put something on the K: drive with a link from BlackBoard, Fran (and her students) can see the link, but they can't download the file.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Now we have a problem with multiple sections of the same course. I can think of a few ways to solve the problem. But I wonder what's the most elegant way...
Fran Trees and I teach Calc (Math 7) Sections 1 and 2. We use the same BlackBoard course, but we have different folders on the K: drive. So if I put something on the K: drive with a link from BlackBoard, Fran (and her students) can see the link, but they can't download the file.
You can assign rights to one of the course folders to both course groups under .FA2005.courses.Drew