Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Technology Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2008, 08:12 AM
Jennifer A. Fox

Default reading drew mail in gmail

I'm having sporadic problems accessing my Drew account (service call to CNS pending) and would like to send all of my email to my gmail account, which I'm having no trouble accessing. I've currently got a groupwise rule to forward all messages, but would like to avoid cluttering up my Sent mail folder and don't want a distracting forward arrow next to every message so I can tell at a glance if I have in fact replied or truly forwarded a message.

It appears that groupwise doesn't allow pop3 access. Is this correct, or is there a setting I can change that will allow gmail access? Has anyone figured out a way to access Drew email via gmail other than by forwarding?

Alternatively, if there is a way to set up a rule that forwards messages without putting a copy in the Sent mail folder and without changing the status of the message (possible in, yes, you knew this was coming -- Eudora...), that would work, too.

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer A. Fox
I'm having sporadic problems accessing my Drew account (service call to CNS pending) and would like to send all of my email to my gmail account, which I'm having no trouble accessing. I've currently got a groupwise rule to forward all messages, but would like to avoid cluttering up my Sent mail folder and don't want a distracting forward arrow next to every message so I can tell at a glance if I have in fact replied or truly forwarded a message.

It appears that groupwise doesn't allow pop3 access. Is this correct, or is there a setting I can change that will allow gmail access? Has anyone figured out a way to access Drew email via gmail other than by forwarding?

Alternatively, if there is a way to set up a rule that forwards messages without putting a copy in the Sent mail folder and without changing the status of the message (possible in, yes, you knew this was coming -- Eudora...), that would work, too.

Thanks!
WebAccess does not allow you to create a rule with multiple actions. However, it is possible to create such a rule and set Send options to not create an item in the Sent Items folder from the GroupWise Client. Since GW rules run on the server-side, once this is set up with the GW Client it will continue to work even if you use WebAccess or some other means to access your mailbox.

See ITS' documentation for best practices regarding a forwarding rule.

IMAP access to your mailbox is available. POP3 access to Drew's GroupWise system is not available. This is not a GW limitation, but is Drew's policy. (and was with our two previous mail systems as well--last time we allowed POP3 was over 10 years ago.)
Old 08-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Daniel M. Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Axel Larsson
POP3 access to Drew's GroupWise system is not available. This is not a GW limitation, but is Drew's policy. (and was with our two previous mail systems as well--last time we allowed POP3 was over 10 years ago.)

I really appreciate having IMAP access to my mailboxes, and if I had to choose between the two, find IMAP to be much more helpful than POP from an end-user perspective, but I am curious as to why Drew chooses not to implement POP3? Is it less secure? Is it just a pain to support for synchronization reasons? Is IMAP just better for most purposes and having both would not be a good use of resources?

As I said, I'm delighted to have IMAP and have found it to be much better than POP, but I don't have any idea why it might be preferable as a matter of IT policy. Can anyone enlighten me?

Peace,
Daniel Lawson
Assistant Professor of Economics
Drew University
Old 08-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Ranger Cub

POP3 and IMAP aren't really comparable in the way they treat mail in the same way that GroupWise email cannot be compared to gmail in the way they treat mail. POP3 is just like your mailbox in your front yard. When the server receives a message it puts it in your mailbox and POP3 clients download it, and in many cases delete it - in fact the default for many POP3 clients was to delete messages after they were downloaded. IMAP on the other hand, treats your mail as you would if it was on your desk. It implements folders and basic status flags and tracking (have you replied to a message? have you opened a message?). You can sort emails and put them in folders or put them in a recycling can just as you would sort mail once it's inside the house. In POP3, things like the trash can and folders are all implemented on the client side, so if you have a folder on your computer at home it won't exist by default on your computer at work. POP3, as a protocol, is very easy to implement since its only using a few commands and is essentially a one-way protocol - I suppose that's why it's still used so much. If you aren't interested in maintaining folders or flags between workstations then POP3 is fine, but IMAP gives much more functionality for not much more of a price resource wise. At the same time, programs like Eudora, which were written as POP3 clients originally and later added IMAP support, can do some pretty cool stuff on the client side because they're handling all the work with the mail without having to deal with a server; I should say that IMAP clients can do all the same things as POP3 clients, but the way they talk to the mail server is totally different so it's a bit harder to implement. As a matter of IT policy, if your organization needs to maintain volumes of mail in a central location - as many of Drew's departments do, or if you want to be able to access your mailbox in multiple locations without having to recreate your folders and mailbox for every location - which is essential for many if not all of Drew's users, or if your mail server natively supports folders and flags which you want preserved in all the locations you use your mail - as GroupWise does, then IMAP is the clear choice. If on the other hand you're just downloading bulk mail and then processing, filing and sorting it entirely on the client side, as you would in an autoforward to GMail, then POP3 would be adequate.

Last edited by Jonathan B. Reams : 08-07-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel M. Lawson
I really appreciate having IMAP access to my mailboxes, and if I had to choose between the two, find IMAP to be much more helpful than POP from an end-user perspective, but I am curious as to why Drew chooses not to implement POP3? Is it less secure? Is it just a pain to support for synchronization reasons? Is IMAP just better for most purposes and having both would not be a good use of resources?

As I said, I'm delighted to have IMAP and have found it to be much better than POP, but I don't have any idea why it might be preferable as a matter of IT policy. Can anyone enlighten me?

Peace,
Daniel Lawson
Assistant Professor of Economics
Drew University
When we first switched from our legacy email system (a product called All-In-One that ran under OpenVMS--users logged in through a terminal session) to an IMAP server with Netscape as a client we made the decision to not enable POP3. This was for a variety of reasons:
- Because of the nature of our previous system, users were accustomed to having all of their mail located on the server. We did not want to move to a model where the mail was stored locally at the client, particularly because the server-based model was more appropriate for a roaming user population that might want to use comptuer labs or a laptop in addition to their personal desktop machine.
- POP3 would have introduced support difficulties related to mail synchronization.
- At the time (1998), there were a wealth of POP3 mail client that were--for lack of a better word--highly deficient when it came to security. Many did not support SSL. Almost any of the decent mail clients which supported SSL with POP also supported IMAP.

Today the reasons are different. There are still support concerns with POP3, but probably the most significant reason (which was not a concern in 1998) is that POP3 bypasses the GroupWise retention and purge flags because it assumes that mail is being manged at the client. This would provide a loophole in the event we were directed by legal counsel to implement a litigation hold for an account. It would allow a user to circumvent the deletion restriction.

Last edited by E. Axel Larsson : 08-07-2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

You can't get to your drew email through pop, but you can get to gmail through IMAP. Go to Settings>Forwarding and POP/IMAP, and enable IMAP. Then go into Groupwise and add your gmail account (settings info). Once it's added, drag your emails from drew into the gmail folder.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Squirrel

Default rewriting "to:" field

Gmail allows us to send from multiple address. But much of this functionality is determined by the account to which the email was sent. By using a forward rule in the groupwise client, the "to:" gets rewritten as the address to which the email is being forward, not the address to which it is originally sent (@drew.edu).

This means everything arriving in the gmail inbox seems as if it was originally sent to gmail. When we hit reply, gmail defaults to your gmail address as the sender address and we must manually change it to our drew address.

The question: Is there a way to forward the email to gmail or any other address and keep the "to:" address as @drew.edu.

Regards, adawson.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Dawson
Gmail allows us to send from multiple address. But much of this functionality is determined by the account to which the email was sent. By using a forward rule in the groupwise client, the "to:" gets rewritten as the address to which the email is being forward, not the address to which it is originally sent (@drew.edu).

This means everything arriving in the gmail inbox seems as if it was originally sent to gmail. When we hit reply, gmail defaults to your gmail address as the sender address and we must manually change it to our drew address.

The question: Is there a way to forward the email to gmail or any other address and keep the "to:" address as @drew.edu.

Regards, adawson.
When you create the forward rule, make sure that the Message Text and all of the other fields, subject, etc. in the rule are blank. Only leave the destination gmail address in the To: field.

A Forward rule forwards the message as an attachment. If the "outer" container message contains no content, GroupWise strips it as it leaves the GroupWise system, leaving the original "inner" message intact as is. However, if there is contnet in the outer message then it is preserved. The trick to getting what you want is to make sure that there is nothing in those fields in the Forward rule.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:15 PM
Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Axel Larsson
When you create the forward rule, make sure that the Message Text and all of the other fields, subject, etc. in the rule are blank. Only leave the destination gmail address in the To: field.

A Forward rule forwards the message as an attachment. If the "outer" container message contains no content, GroupWise strips it as it leaves the GroupWise system, leaving the original "inner" message intact as is. However, if there is contnet in the outer message then it is preserved. The trick to getting what you want is to make sure that there is nothing in those fields in the Forward rule.
Greetings,
Nope, afraid this doesn't work. When all the other fields are empty (which, upon checking, they already were) the to: address still appears as the address to which it was forwarded (gmail) and not the address to which it was sent (drew). This is peculiar, as when working in a previous groupwise environment I could set up this forwarding rule to gmail (which I use as a hub for all my emails) and it would appear in my inbox as being sent to the original address (the groupwise account).

Maybe some server-side setting?

Allan.
36 Madison Aveune
Madison, NJ, 07940, United States.

Phone: +1.973.408.3292 / Fax: +1.973.679.2821
Old 10-12-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Dawson
Greetings,
Nope, afraid this doesn't work. When all the other fields are empty (which, upon checking, they already were) the to: address still appears as the address to which it was forwarded (gmail) and not the address to which it was sent (drew). This is peculiar, as when working in a previous groupwise environment I could set up this forwarding rule to gmail (which I use as a hub for all my emails) and it would appear in my inbox as being sent to the original address (the groupwise account).

Maybe some server-side setting?

Allan.
Confirmed. This does appear to be a behavior change in either one of the hot-patches for GroupWise or our anti-spam appliance (barracuda) which sits in front of GroupWise. We're looking into it.