Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Gripes
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2006, 06:48 PM
Megan E. Hassenger

Default Messed Up Housing

There are no longer lounges on many of the floors due to the overcrowded dorms...unacceptable!

Last edited by Megan E. Hassenger : 08-30-2006 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:59 PM
Amanda L. Brennan

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
Old 09-02-2006, 01:46 AM
Zachary C. Kanfer

So what are you planning to do about it?
Old 09-02-2006, 10:55 AM
Laura A. Billet

It's one of the sacrifices thats been made because you have such a big class. I'm not complaining because the upperclassmen dorms have fewer RAs now =P
Old 09-02-2006, 10:59 AM
Young Squirrel

It's not all (or that many) lounges... For example, I know on Riker 2nd/3rd (dorm number changing from different counting methods) we still have both lounges. And the pool table. Oh, and more furniture. Which actually makes a lot of sense.

I believe it's the Tolley/Brown floor lounges (they've been made into triples), Hasleton and Baldwin... There are still plenty of places to lounge on the Drew campus.

Last edited by Patricia M Brabant : 09-02-2006 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia M Brabant
I believe it's the Tolley/Brown floor lounges (they've been made into triples), Hasleton and Baldwin... There are still plenty of places to lounge on the Drew campus.
And it could have been much worse. Those Tolley/Brown floor lounges weren't made into triples my freshman year... they were made into quads. That was painful.

the Enterprise Technology Center
Old 09-02-2006, 08:35 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia M Brabant
It's not all (or that many) lounges...I believe it's the Tolley/Brown floor lounges (they've been made into triples), Hasleton and Baldwin... There are still plenty of places to lounge on the Drew campus.

_Every_ lounge in Tolley has been turned into a triple. I don't know about Brown, but I don't recall seeing any there either. So, for everyone in Tolley-Brown, the only lounge they have is the Tolley-Brown lounge, which isn't conducive to studying, really. That's a big change.

And Russ, ouch about those quads. I can't imagine living in one. Or, rather, I just don't want to.

Last edited by Zachary C. Kanfer : 09-02-2006 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:46 PM

Default One in each building, I think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary C. Kanfer
_Every_ lounge in Tolley has been turned into a triple. I don't know about Brown, but I don't recall seeing any there either. So, for everyone in Tolley-Brown, the only lounge they have is the Tolley-Brown lounge, which isn't conducive to studying, really. That's a big change.

And Russ, ouch about those quads. I can't imagine living in one. Or, rather, I just don't want to.

Actually, they did the same thing in 1987 - with one difference. The info I have indicates that there's one floor lounge left in both Brown and Tolley - they didn't even leave that in '87. Oh, and up until 1991 or 1992, those little Holloway singles off a tiny common room? Those were doubles. Not even wide enough to unbunk the beds. My sister-in-law lived in one - she and her former roommate still avoid each other at reunions. I expect there are going to be more issues for Res Life and the student affairs folks to deal with - triples can be pretty tough, since you're trying to get three strangers to get along.

Assuming the info I have about the lounges is correct, we're planning on putting wireless access points in most remaining lounge areas. We've got to get final count and order the equipment. We don't have the budget to cover wireless for entire residence halls (and putting in widespread 802.11b/g support now with high-speed 802.11n right around the corner probably isn't a good investment), but we can at least make sure lounges and common areas are covered. The most complicated situation is Riker, due to to the small lounges scattered around. Some areas (The T/B lounge, Welch/Holloway lounge) already have wireless.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:50 AM
Zachary C. Kanfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. Coen
The info I have indicates that there's one floor lounge left in both Brown and Tolley - they didn't even leave that in '87...

Well, I don't recall seeing any during handout when I was walking around Tolley-Brown, but I seem to recall I had some other things to do...

Which rooms supposedly are still lounges?
Old 09-03-2006, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary C. Kanfer
Well, I don't recall seeing any during handout when I was walking around Tolley-Brown, but I seem to recall I had some other things to do...

Which rooms supposedly are still lounges?

I don't know, which is why I didn't specify rooms. Last information I had, Telecom wasn't asked to convert all the lounges - there was one left in both Tolley and Brown. The situation might've changed -- the info is from a bit more than a week ago. I expect we'll find out for sure in a day or two, since we need to order wireless access points.