Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students > Current CLA students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2006, 05:16 PM
Elder Drewid

Of course I'll get you your crunchies

I'll see what I can find as far as your lactawafflewhatevers.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:04 AM
Erin Carroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Smykla
Actually, no, Tolley Brown rooms are different than Welch rooms which are different than Holloway rooms. When I was an incoming freshman, the OC posted walkthrough videos of what each of the dorms' rooms looked like, do these still exist anywhere?
I couldn't find any videos, were they on the OC site or Drew webpage?
Old 08-10-2006, 02:56 AM
Benjamin R. Shedlock

Try reslife
Old 08-10-2006, 07:50 AM
Gary A. Hochman

They were indeed on the OC website. Ive still got the originals on my computer somewhere, I'll have to go digging around when I get off of work tonight.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:37 PM
Jhanzelle Francis

would u recommend doing steps 2 and 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary C. Kanfer
You have several options:
  1. You can bunk the beds, putting your roomate's bed on top of your bed. To do this, you need four pins (free from reslife [I think reslife]), and some strong people to help you.
  2. you can flip your bed, if you have the bottom bed, with higher posts. this will raise the bed about two feet off the ground, allowing you to put more stuff under it.
  3. you can buy bed raisers. They raise the bed about 8 inches up.
  4. combine step 2 and 3.
  5. You can get the Drew lofts. They raise the bed about three feet, I think. They cost (IIRC) about $100, and it it set up for you.
  6. You can build your own loft. It needs to meet the specifications from reslife, which aren't online (or I just can't find them). Basically, if built of wood, the posts need to be 4" by 4" (which I don't believe the beds are, interestingly), and the wood needs to be treated so it's not a fire hazard. There's more, but those are the most important ones. This takes the most time. You need to build it, transport it, set it up, and take it down yourself.
  7. Buy a loft. Still needs to be sturdy, and such. You set it up yourself. I bought a loft from a website that I don't believe is up anymore. It cost about $200.
Lofting works great for me. It allows me to have a couch under my bed. That's a lot more space in any room.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:46 PM
Dia O'Neil

that's what i do. takes the least effort and provides a fair bit of space.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:30 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

No, I'd recommend option 4 instead.

Seriously, though, it's a really good idea. If you're going to flip it, you might as well spend like $10 on risers and get a bit more room. Some people bring cinderblocks instead. It's quite easy. I forget how the freshman dorm beds are set up, so I don't recall what (any?) tools you need to flip them.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:26 PM
Mary Richmond

Yeah, I got to take a look at the dorms in Brown the other day, and I'd say bunking or lofting is a MUST for those dorms. There's no space otherwise! Yeah, my roomie and I are bunking it since we're both too cheap to buy the lofts. lol.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:51 PM
Benjamin R. Shedlock

I wouldn't say it's a must. There might have been 3 or 4 lofts on my floor last year. Bunking provides a lot of space. This isn't going to be as big as your bedroom, so don't try (unless you're harry potter and you live under the stairs). It helps, but don't feel compelled to do it because it seems like you don't have much space. That's just the way dorm rooms are.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:58 PM
Emily Smykla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin R. Shedlock
I wouldn't say it's a must. There might have been 3 or 4 lofts on my floor last year. Bunking provides a lot of space. This isn't going to be as big as your bedroom, so don't try (unless you're harry potter and you live under the stairs). It helps, but don't feel compelled to do it because it seems like you don't have much space. That's just the way dorm rooms are.

Yeah, actually I lived in Tolley my freshman year, and most of the people on the floor DIDN'T bunk or loft and we got along just fine. Here's a photo of my room...it was a little cramped, but we got along just fine. You just have to decide what is essential to bring and what isn't, and utilize the storage space you do have.

Keep in mind that Tolley and Brown rooms are basically the same in terms of size, floor plan, etc.