Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students > Current CLA students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2005, 02:03 PM
Benjamin R. Shedlock

for those of you like myself who grew up with Apple, I suggest the mac mini. For about $500 plus monitor, keyboard and mouse, you get basically a full scale, tiny (2x9x9) desktop computer. I need it to get my elegant apple fix. Windows makes me feel like I'm some sort of Huxley-esque delta...

As for typing, laptop keyboards suck (though I did do my final 38 page paper for history this year on one). I just took my friend out to Best Buy and he picked up an external, wired keyboard/optical mouse combo for 40 bucks! My brother, a seasoned college student, swears by this method.
cheers!
Old 07-28-2005, 02:22 PM
Drewid

One issue though, if you bring your own non standard machine (non drew laptop), you will recieve no support from the CNS helpdesk. You might find someone who knows computers whose willing to help you on their own time, but CNS will not touch a non standard computer. Of course finding help will probably be somewhat more difficult with a mac, but thats a matter of preference. There are also various resources online for finding help.

http://depts.drew.edu/cns/support/policy/nosupport.php

"I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence."

Last edited by Kevin P. Egan : 07-28-2005 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:06 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin R. Shedlock
As for typing, laptop keyboards suck (though I did do my final 38 page paper for history this year on one).

The ones on the drew computer are really nice. It's a full size keyboard. The only thing it doesn't have is the second set of numbers, all the way to the right, but you can hit a button or two and switch it so that you can use other keys as a number pad. And there is the regular set of numbers above the qwerty key line. I actually like this keyboard more than regular keyboards, because there's less action of the keys. I find it easier to type.

although, I do have an external mouse. but that's just my preference.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:11 PM
Gary A. Hochman

If you do want to get an external keyboard though, I recommend a "college student friendly" one, such as this: http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/5a7f/ It is water/spill proof, easily cleaned, and rolls up pretty small. However, I will admit that it takes a little getting used to.

Last edited by Gary A. Hochman : 07-28-2005 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:46 PM
Matthew J. Stuart

Post laggggg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew L. Schaffer
I'm bringing my desktop. I figure that I'll probably just leave the desktop plugged in and transfer work off of it, I find it really hard to write long pieces on laptops... plus I like video games.

As for the switch/router thing I think that you can get wireless switches but they're different from routers. Switches don't do as many awesome things as routers (like DHCP... I think), they just split the signal up to be sent to different computers. Or at least that's what I've been led to believe.

If you like video games, you may find that you will lag quite a bit. I found that attempting to play any online game during times when a lot of people were using the network was next to impossible. Unless you use it in the middle of the day or very, very late at night, you may encounter problems. If that happens, leave your dorm room door open and socialize!Just a heads up!
Old 07-28-2005, 08:15 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

that's why you bring your computer to class and ...

I mean, "oh."
Old 07-29-2005, 03:18 PM
Benjamin R. Shedlock

yea, I realize I get no support, but, given that my earliest memories involve playing dungeons of doom on a 9x9 inch, b&w screen on a one piece, 1985 vintage, mac, and then using them all through up to the mini, I'm confident I can handle that. I don't expect them to manage my crap. Thanks for the "heads up" though!!
cheers!!
Ben
Old 07-29-2005, 03:30 PM
Andrew L. Schaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew J. Stuart
If you like video games, you may find that you will lag quite a bit. I found that attempting to play any online game during times when a lot of people were using the network was next to impossible. Unless you use it in the middle of the day or very, very late at night, you may encounter problems. If that happens, leave your dorm room door open and socialize!Just a heads up!

Thanks for the heads up. It's also nice knowing that they don't block games. At my brother's college (dickinson) they apperently throttle all internet traffic except for normal web browsing.

Anyone else bringing full desktops? We should do lan games.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:49 PM
Benjamin R. Shedlock

I'm in: Diablo 2, Starcraft I, and II (expansion) and Warcraft III. That's what I'm bringing. Get me interested in something else and I'll probably buy it.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:54 PM
Andrew L. Schaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin R. Shedlock
I'm in: Diablo 2, Starcraft I, and II (expansion) and Warcraft III. That's what I'm bringing. Get me interested in something else and I'll probably buy it.

I was thinking more along the lines of UT2k4, half life 2, those sorta games. But hey, I'll dig out diablo 2 and Broodwar and bring em anyway... I do miss those games.