Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Technology Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2007, 09:51 PM
Kevin Domanski

Default AIM Virus

Just wanted to report that an AIM virus has been going around campus. It spreads by sending you a message that states: "Hey can I post this picture of you on Facebook?" with a 'link' to photobucket. If you click the link you get the virus - so therefore please don't click the link We are not exactly which virus it might be but will update as we find out more.

If you have contracted this virus I suggest the first thing you do is update and run F-Prot.

If F-Prot is unable to remove the virus please contact the helpdesk via the phone (x3205), e-mail, or by stopping by.

Just a general reminder: please, if there is a link in the first message that someone sends you via AIM - do not click it until you can confirm that it was sent by your friend.

Thanks,

Kevin @ CNS
Old 09-12-2007, 10:21 PM

Remember, it's always best never to click on or open anything. You know what? If it's really important you'll get some other indicator that it is and you should do something. If you get a random message from one of your "friends" in AIM, that doesn't make any sense with their behavior, and isn't written the way they would, it's probably fake. If it's not, they'll likely follow up with something like "y didnt u clik on my link?" and you can then take action.

Same goes for email. If PayPal or your bank is sending you something in email, and it's really important, you'll get another indicator of some kind. The bank will call or send a letter (you know those? They're made of paper, they are shipped around the country by mail trucks?)

I guess I'm just naturally skeptical, and am and have been outside of just computer things, but I am puzzled by those who feel obligated to click on and respond to everything that comes to them on the computer. A little judiciousness goes a long way.

(p.s.: I IM in complete sentences. Sorry. I touch type.)
Old 09-14-2007, 01:12 PM
Amanda L. Brennan

Why would they link it anyway? Direct connect ftw!