Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Gripes
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2011, 03:20 AM
Ranger Cub

Default Riker Heat

So, how warm does it need to get outside for Riker to turn off the goddamn heat?

Pretty sure I walked back from the suites behind Charon tonight, and it sounds like Cerberus is howling outside my window. If I'd known I'd be crossing the River Styx this semester, I'd have packed differently upon return from Winter break. I've figured Drew was a representation of Hades for a while now but I didn't need the increase in temperature for added emphasis.

But in all honesty, the heat in Riker is fucking stifling. Where the fuck is my tuition money going if we can't even regulate the heat reasonably?
Old 02-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Young Squirrel

why the hell isn't there a like button
Old 02-19-2011, 05:18 PM
Ranger Cub

The heat is turned on and off in a yearly cycle. It goes on one day in all buildings during like Oct/Nov and then goes off in the spring one day. There's no regulation really in any of the buildings and it sucks, but that's how they do it.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:11 PM
Ranger Cub

I'm fully aware, but thanks.

Then perhaps instead of wasting money on fines from the EPA or new flatscreens, why not renovate the heating system so it's at least fully functioning. There's no reason for my room to be stifling, my quadmates' room to be a sauna, and a quad upstairs to be freezing. Maybe if Drew focused their (nonexistent) efforts to suck less on renovating the shit we already have they'd be able to brag about more than one LEED Certified building on campus. For having such an obsession with being "green" it seems ridiculous not to address the inefficient bullshit that's already here before, say, building a new University Center.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:40 AM
Young Squirrel

The heating and cooling in the residence halls is challenging to manage during the spring and fall when the temperatures fluctuate from below freezing at night to, on on occasion, in the 50's and 60's during the day. We try to minimize the discomfort by starting to turn back the heat very early in the morning on the days we expect the outdoor temperature to rise into the upper 50's. The buildings tends to "hold" it's heat for awhile even when the temperature is cut back. At that point we are at the mercy of the outdoor temperature and how long it takes to cool off again. Then we must turn the heat back up again when nightfall approaches and the temperature dip to the 30's and below. I can assure you that the Plant Operations crew tries very hard to manage comfort and temperature within all the buildings. Some are easier to do than others; but we continue to strive to update automated building controls and systems whenever possible. If you are experiencing uncomfortable temperatures, I encourage you to call the Service Response Center at extension 3510. We will do whatever we can to rectify the problem.

- Facilities Management

Last edited by Michael H. Kopas : 02-20-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:09 AM
Squirrel

I felt the need to respond because I found your post to be a bit offensive in that I hope that it will not be read by others who will then decide that such an approach to an issue is an approach that many Drew students would take.

I can appreciate where you are coming from here but, at the same time, I fail to see the helpfulness of both your need to use so many expletives and your tone. I'm all for free speech but at the same time, if you want your voice to be heard and actually have some positive attention brought to an issue which needs to be addressed, you'd be far better off taking a different approach rather than ranting on the forum to people who will simply chime in and that will be the end of it.

You might consider actually contacting facilities and asserting your complaint in a more appropriate manner, wherein those you contact be more inclined to help you if you ask in a way which is not so brash. Also, my quadmates & I called facilities to complain when the air coming through our vents was too cold and after some time the issue was corrected for the most part and it is now comfortable more often that not temperature-wise although there are times on occasion when it is too cool still.

Also, Drew is not "wasting money on fines from the EPA." When an institution is fined by an organizations such as the EPA, it is required to pay said fine or else be brought against more serious charges. It's not as if Drew decided that it would like to spend some of the school's money paying fines, which is what your phrasing implies. You can bring up the issue that the University should have taken the necessary measures to prevent fines from ever having been incurred and then I would see your point, but...

That being said, I can agree that the regulation of heating & cooling in Riker is something that needs to be greatly improved. If you really want something to be done about it, you're better off using your energy to TALK to someone about the problem.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:29 AM
Ranger Cub

I bet you're thankful for the heat today, because I sure am.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:55 PM
Ranger Cub

I actually still have my window open today and have the vents closed in my room. So.

And if you were oblivious to the timestamp on my original post, I wrote it at 2:20 in the morning after having returned to my room intoxicated. However I'd have said the same thing sober, that's just how I speak, so if you don't like it I'd suggest continuing not to interact with me - especially since I found your post unbelievably condescending, bitchy, and an unnecessary response to a post that I think I'd have to be stupid to have hoped anyone would take seriously.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:50 PM
Squirrel

Your second post was at 5 PM, were you intoxicated then, too?

You misunderstood me. Regardless... I find your complaining offensive, not to mention futile, as it gives off an attitude that I believe to be a poor representation of the student body. I was merely voicing that. You clearly have a lot of passion and I was merely suggesting that you actually DO something to make change happen rather than constantly complain so that you don't have to complain anymore & get what you want.

Last edited by Sara E. Stowell : 03-03-2011 at 06:58 PM.