Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students > Current CLA students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2006, 09:41 PM
Matthew Ogonowski

you know to somewhat deviate from this conversation, even though they were pretty good points or rules or whatever, i heard that the new thinkpad t60's have fingerprint scanners instead of passwords as an option.

as unlikely as this is, do ours come with that?
Old 08-04-2006, 10:15 PM
Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Ogonowski
you know to somewhat deviate from this conversation, even though they were pretty good points or rules or whatever, i heard that the new thinkpad t60's have fingerprint scanners instead of passwords as an option.

I think it is wise to deviate from where this topic was going. The T 60's do have a fingerprint scanner, but I don't think it will be setup to replace a set password used to access network resources. You can find out some info about the computer and other news at the CNS Live site.

"I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence."
Old 08-05-2006, 12:02 AM

Default If only it also checked for normal brain activity . . .

Quote:

Yes, but as much as I hate to have to point this out, it's a lousy way to secure access. A fingerprint scanner works whether or not you're conscious and alert - if you've locked your computer (or suspended it), it'll reestablish its connection using the current user - you.

I know we didn't enable the fingerprint scanner by default - I'm not 100% sure the software is actually configured at all - I think I had a conversation that indicated that there were some issues or limitations if it was set up. But it's been a long summer and I may be misremembering.

When you log in, you're not just logging into a local account on the Windows system - your computer is actually in our Active Directory domain, and your "account" - including password - is actually synchronized between (for example) our Novell eDirectory infrastructure and our Active Directory domain. There's a lot going on behind the scenes. That's why you can use the same password across all the systems and software - we're either syncronizing the passwords between the systems (like eDir and AD), or else software packages are talking to either our eDirectory tree or Active Directory domain to do authentication. Anyway, that's why the computer configurations matter so much - we've got a fairly integrated environment, and it's hard to set that up on a computer as a one-off.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:51 AM

Quote:

It has the fingerprint reader, but we decided not to install the software to enable it by default. You can install it if you like, and it does actually support the Novell Client and logging into both eDirectory and AD with your password, but it breaks whenever the Client is updated and then needs to be reinstalled for the integration to work again. Because of this latter issue, we've chosen not to support it.

It's not really as useful as it sounds anyway, more of a gimick. It actually has trouble recognizing fingerprints often, and since it is just simple password storage, rather than being an actual eDir or AD authentication method, it doesn't handle password changes very gracefully.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:56 AM
Elder Drewid

Hey Russ, remind me why I have to post 10 characters per post when all I want to post is this:

?
Old 08-05-2006, 10:21 AM
Dia O'Neil

eek, fingerprint-recognition? that reminds me of a discussion that was going on at the CTRL+ALT+DEL forums about microchipping people for ease in information processing. freaks me out a little when technology starts reading my biodata
Old 08-05-2006, 11:15 PM
Ranger Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Axel Larsson
more of a gimick. It actually has trouble recognizing fingerprints often.
The troubles I have with he fingerprint reader, as far as it not recognizing the fingerprints is you have to scan your finger at the same pressure, if your fingertips are dirty, if the plate on the scanner is dirty, or if your fingers are in anyway cut (even a paper cut) it won't read. So, in the long run using the scanner is a mix between technique and keeping your fingers clean and safe. Though the scanner stores all 10 fingerprints or if the scanner fails you can still use the CTRL+ALT+DEL option
Old 08-06-2006, 08:12 PM
Benjamin R. Shedlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. Coen
Looking at it one way, library printing wasn't free, it just wasn't being charged for. The library was closing in on spending $20,000 a year on materials and printers or printer maintenance - and it had grown rapidly, with little sign of slowing. It was eating into money the library needed for other things - like having public machines that were reasonably up-to-date, or other library resources or services. The question isn't whether to spend the money, it's whether to spend the money on one thing or another. Trust me - budgets are tight enough to mean that there are opportunity costs to every decision.

Plus, the library gets screwed at every turn. Why aren't the hours long enough? Electricity and staffing. Hell, they weren't even allocated funding for shelving. The way I see it, in a pinch, a couple bucks to print a paper won't kill you. The library is something that is worth supporting this way. If I had to pay to use athletic facilities, that would be a different story.

I empathize with the cash strapped(because I am one of their kind), but you'll find you don't print from the library much anyway. PDFs and that sort of thing have made paper less and less relevant.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:21 PM
Benjamin R. Shedlock

Sorry for the out-of-left-field post. I was internet-less for three days and and didn't notice this whole extra page...

A friend of mine got the T43 (last year's upgrade) with the scanner (He goes to another school). He showed it to me once and it didn't work until the third time. Not only that, but sometimes it didn't work after he got out of the shower.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin R. Shedlock
Sorry for the out-of-left-field post. I was internet-less for three days and and didn't notice this whole extra page...

A friend of mine got the T43 (last year's upgrade) with the scanner (He goes to another school). He showed it to me once and it didn't work until the third time. Not only that, but sometimes it didn't work after he got out of the shower.

What didn't work, the computer or the scanner?