Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Announcements & General Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2005, 07:15 PM
Luis M. Gallegos

Default Garden of Eden

So, i've read the section of the Bible regarding the Garden of Evil, and there seems to be no explicit reason for why God didn't want Adam and Eve to not eat the fruit from the tree of knowledge and good and evil. So, why didn't he want them to eat that fruit? What's the harm?
Old 11-14-2005, 01:22 AM
Amanda L. Brennan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis M. Gallegos
So, i've read the section of the Bible regarding the Garden of Evil, and there seems to be no explicit reason for why God didn't want Adam and Eve to not eat the fruit from the tree of knowledge and good and evil. So, why didn't he want them to eat that fruit? What's the harm?

a mixup, or on purpose?

read paradise lost, it'll confuse the hell out of you while explaining everything, according to milton
Old 11-14-2005, 01:45 AM
Zachary C. Kanfer

wow, it took me several readings of that to even see what you were talking about.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:37 AM
Ranger Cub

Default garden of EVIL???

I only know of a Garden of Eden...never heard of Garden of Evil.

God's request of Adam and Eve not to eat the fruit is just a metaphor for how we humans are self willed and fell from grace and why there is sin in the world etc etc....besides if we accept God as creator and Father then I guess the real answer from Him is "because I said so"
Old 11-16-2005, 01:40 PM
Luis M. Gallegos

hahaha, okay, I guess that was something subconscious sneaking in there? I honestly meant the Garden of Eden. Although the Garden of Evil is kinda interesting.... But my question was for Eden, not evil.

Whoops.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:42 PM
Luis M. Gallegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maureen Tauriello
I only know of a Garden of Eden...never heard of Garden of Evil.

God's request of Adam and Eve not to eat the fruit is just a metaphor for how we humans are self willed and fell from grace and why there is sin in the world etc etc....besides if we accept God as creator and Father then I guess the real answer from Him is "because I said so"

Because he said so. If God is all-knowing and all-powerful, then what threat do we pose by being self-willed and knowedgable about good and evil and such things?
Old 06-07-2006, 03:17 PM
Ranger Cub

Default nature of God

If you believe in the trinity, the God of the old testament aka God the Father is wayyy different from Jesus the Son. I always had a problem relating to a father that would allow his Son to suffer like Jesus did. (Hey its one of the many things I plan on asking about when I get to heaven LOL)

A couple of thoughts occur to me. First of all I don't think we can take the bible stories at face value. They were written by uneducated people trying to explain the unexplainable nature of God and the universe. So did Abraham really try to sacrifice his son or is it merely an attempt to show Abrahams complete surrender to God and the rewards that come from living ones life that way?

It also just occured to me that God asking Abraham to sacrifice his son Isaac is really just a pre-cursor of what God himself did for us. In other words God doesn't ask us to do anything He wouldn't do Himself.

I always struggled with why Jesus had to suffer so much. After much contemplation, the conclusion I have reached is that it's because of us. We are thick headed, stubborn, people. The bible refers to the Jews as "stiff necked". When Jesus became human it was completely and so he was destined to die as we all are. I don't think it necessarily meant he had to die in the manner that he did. BUT because God loved us and truly wants to give us another chance (and another and another...) He had to shake us up and give us a dramatic message because face it we just wouldn't have believed it if he just died in his sleep of old age.

I don't expect everyone to agree. This is just my take after lots years.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:45 AM
Ranger Cub

About a year and a half ago I had a discussion about the apple thing with a priest I met while waiting for class in New York; I asked him what he thought the significance of the apple was and why god would have not wanted Adam and Eve to eat it. His reply was that man was created in god's image, everything being the same, other then the knowledge of good and evil. He said that god's plan was to guide man though life helping man with every step, but we choose to give this knowledge to ourselves, leaving us, in god eye, prepared to face the world. So he kicked Adam and Eve out, knowing that they had the knowledge to face the world. So, I guess God would allow his mortal son to make the choice, because his son knows what he is doing.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:23 PM
Ranger Cub

Default adam and eve etc.

That's interesting, I always heard that our free will was a gift from God and that God wanted us to choose Him not to make a bunch of robots who couldn't think for themselves. Hmmmm....
Old 03-31-2007, 11:33 AM
Squirrel

Default Garden of Eden

Jealousy! God was jealous. As in the Tower of Babel story. It's a classic type of pattern in myth. Take CL 136! or CL 25. In fact, if you read the story closely, what the serpent says is the truth! John Lenz, CLassics prof.