Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Announcements & General Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2010, 08:21 PM
Ranger Cub

Default World of Warcraft SUCKS. What is EVE Online?

Hey, so if I got your attention, then you're probably familiar with one or both of these title MMOs. Personally, not a fan of the WoW player base as a whole - too many tards (you might be ok). I don't play WoW anymore, though I did for some time before the rapid spread of sheer ridiculousness struck the game. If you don't care anymore and wish to be happy in a bad game, spending $15 a month, then I guess stop reading.

But, I was wondering if you or anyone you know at Drew plays or is familiar with EVE Online, a space-based real-time strategy sandbox style game where the entire economy is player based and all content is group-oriented. It's like a mix of Star Trek, Star Wars, and Mass Effect (for gamers). You can fly around in whatever kind of ship you like, (from frigate sized to Capital class). all skills are trained in real-time (there is no grinding), there is trade, planet colonizing, lots of PvP, etc.

I didn't mean to go off on a tangent, but I can give 3-week free trials to anyone who wants to fly around the galaxy and check it out if interested. The learning curve is fairly steep, and a much older, more mature player base is apparent. Fortunately, because skills do not require active training, it can also be a fairly casual chill game. Shoot me an e-mail at jmaslin@drew.edu, or feel free to flame me for saying that WoW is an awful game.

EDIT: I apologize. These two games shouldn't even be compared because they have separate styles of gameplay. Whereas Wow is probably more action-oriented and formulaic, centered around acquiring epic gear, upgrading epic gear, linear raid performance, and being guided by an achievement system, EVE is probably not that. EVE is more about strategy, tactics, and patience, and largely centered around PvP and sand-box style gameplay that can be overwhelming when unfamiliar with goals. I hope this helps (me). Sorry WoW players.

Last edited by Jordan M. Maslin : 05-31-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Ranger Cub

Yeah e-mail me your character name details, and pick a race that I won't have hostile standings with.
I've been pretty busy with work recently, so I haven't been on much, but I can meet up this weekend probably.

Edit: Oh, almost forgot that this weekend is the Alliance Tournament Eight, which will probably be pretty sweet if you like to watch space ships battling it out with guns, lasers, and missiles-oh my! There's going to be streaming video and blogging, etc. Something worth seeing.

http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=764

Last edited by Jordan M. Maslin : 06-03-2010 at 06:44 PM.