Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students > Current CLA students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2006, 09:38 PM
Brittany Abshire

Default Telephones

Does anyone know if each person in your dorm needs a phone and do we need an answering machine?
Old 08-04-2006, 09:54 PM
Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittany Abshire
Does anyone know if each person in your dorm needs a phone and do we need an answering machine?

Yes, we're required to bring our own phones. The school will provide the phone line.You and your roommate can share a phone. It'll be easier to get a phone that already have an answering machine.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:10 PM
Brittany Abshire

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:23 PM
Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Gbelama
Yes, we're required to bring our own phones. The school will provide the phone line.You and your roommate can share a phone. It'll be easier to get a phone that already have an answering machine.
Drew provides an electronic answering machine that works on the phone line. You dial a number and can get access to your messages, anywhere on campus. I am not sure if a regular answering machine will work on the line (they used to tell us nothing but drew provided phones would work...).

"I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence."
Old 08-05-2006, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittany Abshire
Drew provides you with a voice mailbox and a direct phone number that is assigned specifically to you. You simply need to provide the phone. You should not bring a cordless phone however.

Please see here for the details.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:57 AM
Elder Drewid

Telecom wouldn't give me a campus extension.

Last edited by Golly Tabatabaie : 08-05-2006 at 01:13 AM.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:16 AM
Dia O'Neil

i also recommend getting your own personal phones. you both get your own phone lines that will be with you for the next four years, so there's really no need to share. phones cost like ten dollars these days, anyway.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dia O'Neil
i also recommend getting your own personal phones. you both get your own phone lines that will be with you for the next four years, so there's really no need to share. phones cost like ten dollars these days, anyway.
I would also suggest bringing long phone cord; it's pretty cheap and like coax cable, you never know where the jack is going to be. Last year it was located behind the desk of my roommate, I had to string the cable behind the tv, over the door, and back around to my desk. Another good thing might be some cable wall mounts. They're little plastic clips with an adhesive back that allow you to hang cables on walls.

"I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence."
Old 08-05-2006, 02:29 PM
Jacqueline DiLorenzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dia O'Neil

Each student gets her own phone line? I thought each room had its own extension.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:39 PM
Elder Drewid

Each person is assigned their own extension. You can check your voicemail from anywhere.

Some people end up just using their roomate's phone extension the whole year, but that can be annoying as far as voicemails.