Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > Student Organizations > On a Different Note
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2007, 01:25 PM
Elyse C. Atkinson

Default Singing women! want to join the best group ever?!

You have to be a girl. You have to like singing. You have to audition because we're starting out the year with 5 people in the group, thanks to the MILLIONS of people who graduated/are going abroad/one transfer.

Auditions will be very soon after we get to Drew!! Look for posters/emails!

I hate seeing this forum dead. Does anyone have questions about the group? auditions? What to sing? want help? please ask. I love helping.

Either post back, or, for a more reliably quick answer, email oadn@drew.edu or facebook message ona different note! friend us while you're at it. we like friends. we want to be your friend.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:07 PM
Kristen M. Bloschak

Yay! I'm a girl! And I love singing! ...I kinda get nervous at auditions though b/c I'm so shy, so I know I'm gonna majorly screw this up and not get in. But, I'm going to try anyway, b/c I know that I've got what it takes.

Um, when and where will the auditions be held?... I'm a commuter first off, so any reallly early morning or late night would be bad for me. And I have 2 night classes too, but whatev, I can skip one one day if it conflicts. So..what do I have to sing at the auditions? Do you give me something to sing?..Make me do scales(pleaseeee no)?... Or do I bring my own songs- and then I guess I need sheet music, and yeah, that'll be tough to find in time. Can the songs be any type, or a specific type of music?.... And what kinds of voices are you looking for?....
Old 08-24-2007, 09:53 AM
Jhanzelle A. Francis

I was wondering, what song should we sing when we audition?
Old 08-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Young Squirrel

Hey, ladies, I can answer those for ya!

Auditions will most likely be held the first weekend after classes start - we're starting off the year with only 5 (count 'em FIVE) girls, so we want to have our auditions as soon as possible and get our new members singing!

As for being a commuter, we've had commuters in the group before, as well as people with night classes. For auditions this may or may not affect you at all. The audition can be short or long depending on how many people come to it, and how far you get in the audition. To give you an example, when I auditioned there were probably around 25 girls there - that's a LOT of people. Needless to say, that audition ran into the evening and took a few hours.

With rehearsals as a commuter, we generally arrange our rehearsal schedule around the schedules of everyone in the group. We rehearse 3 times a week, 2 hours each time. We do add more rehearsals if we need to and occasionally rearrange schedules when lots of members of the group can't make it. An example of that is that we had a lot of girls involved in the theatre department this past year, and for opening nights of plays, majors had to be there to see the show. So we could reschedule a rehearsal to a different night for that.

But regarding scheduling and rehearsals, even though we can rearrange stuff and we try our best to work around everyone's schedules, that doesn't take away from the fact that being in this group is a serious commitment! When we have rehearsal, we have to be on time so we can use all the time we have to make OADN awesome!

(I'm starting to turn this explanation into a novel, sorry!)

Okay, actual audition process. Come with 2 RECOGNIZABLE SONGS prepared. You'll be singing one verse and one chorus from the songs you choose. As much as we love Broadway, we ask that you please don't sing show tunes because we want to hear YOU sing, not a character. Also, making sure that the songs are recognizable is pretty important, because if nobody in the group knows the song you're singing, we can't tell if you're actually supposed to be singing it the way you are. So for song choice, I'd say pick something you're basically positive will be recognized by someone in the group.

Songs are really just one part of the audition. For a general overview of the whole thing:

- We all introduce ourselves, possibly sing something! Yay, singing!
- Round 1: Everyone who came out to audition sings one verse and one chorus of a song of their choice. Once all that singing is done, all the audition-ees leave the room while we discuss, then we come out to you guys with the first round of callbacks.
- Round 2: You sing one verse and one chorus of the other song you prepared. Then, we have some range exercises to do just that - check out your range. It's basically "Ah"s up and down the scale. Then you've got the same deal, auditioners skedaddle, we discuss, and there is yet another set of callbacks.
- Round 3: Blending exercises, which include teaching you a song! Something easy, we promise. After that, we pretty much make the decision about who will be our brand spankin' new ladies.

So that's the audition process!

I wouldn't say we're looking for specific voice parts - not at all, actually. Everybody in the group sings damn near everything. For example, I sing the top part on Angel, and then I sing the very bottom part on Signed, Sealed, Delivered. What you sing really depends on your range, and what parts we need covered at what time.

So if you've survived reading all of that, hopefully I've answered all of your questions! Like Elyse said, if you have any other questions at all, post here again, email us, or Facebook message/friend us! Yay!

P.S. - I know the whole auditioning thing can be kinda daunting (I was pretty much shaking when I was sitting there), but just HAVE FUN WITH IT! If you're enjoying yourself, we're most likely to be enjoying ourselves, too! Yay, singing!

Last edited by Jillian L. Tundidor : 08-24-2007 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:27 PM
Elyse C. Atkinson

Let me just say how much I love you, Jillian L. Tundidor. Can you please take a peeksie back through the old posts from the last 2 years and see how we are THE SAME PERSON?! You're great. I'm so glad we're living together. You will probably hate me by the end of the year because i'm a little obsessed with you.

OK, end Jill-lovefest.

Jill hit the nail on the head answering your questions.

A few little additions: no need to bring sheet music. We ask you to audition a cappella (for the very reason that we are an a cappella group... also, i am terrible at piano and you wouldn't want me trying to accompany you.)

As for hints on what counts as a recognizable song, something I could find playing on the radio is a good choice. In the past we've heard Beatles, Tori Amos (though I, personally, am not very familiar with her, but whatever,) Christina Aguilera, torch songs, motown, Norah Jones, country songs... Please don't sing stuff from musicals/operas/operettas. I love those, and will probably recognize the song, but as Jill said, I'm really looking for you, not a character. Also, OADN doesn't sing that kind of music. We sing pop/rock/stuff like that. Check out our (slightly out-of-date, but still mostly accurate) website for a repertoire list of what we do/have done in the past. http://groups.drew.edu/oadn

Last few things: Please come talk to us at the activities fair. I like being able to recognize faces in the audition already. it helps!

Ask us questions. Yes, I will absolutely help you as best I can. Yes, I will tell you what I think of your proposed audition songs. Yes, if we can find a mutually agreeable time before the audition, I will listen to you sing them and tell you what I think and give you suggestions. Use me. Please.

Yes, auditioning is scary. I'm sorry. I don't want to be scary. It will honestly be way less scary if you come talk to me/email me (or anyone in the group, really... though since I run auditions, I think people are most scared of me) beforehand. Then we'll be friends and it's totally no big deal. I'm really nice. I promise.

No, we can't take everyone in the group. Just because we have to turn you away this time doesn't mean that you weren't just as awesome as the girls we took. It just means that they happened to blend with this particular group, and offered us what we were looking for at that time. I have turned away DOZENS of really good singers and talented performers/musicians. It sucks. I hate doing it. Please don't be too disappointed if it happens to you.

One thing every girl auditioning for OADN should know is that it is VERY common for people to get into the group on their 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th audition for us. Like I said, sometimes we have to turn away talented people. If that's you, PLEASE come back and audition next time. Our group changes every semester (especially this year with people taking semesters abroad.) If we aren't looking for people at the semester, we won't hold auditions. See how it's a win-win for us all? We want people, you come be people. So please, come back if we can't take you the first time. You have the advantage then of knowing the process, seeing familiar faces, and having a better idea of what kind of audition we're looking for, plus (hopefully!) seeing the group perform around campus so that you know what we're about. Basically, you'll be a veteran.

Also, please remember that everybody in the audition room was in your place at one (or maybe 2 or 3) time. We know it seems scary, but we also know you can do it, because we did! ...and we're pretty big wusses.

That being said, I can't wait to meet you guys and hear you sing and welcome you to the group! Being in college a cappella (and especially OADN... not that I'm biased...) presents a WONDERFUL opportunity and can really make your college experience spectacular. Most of my best friends have come from the a cappella crowd, and I can't imagine Drew University with out it.

so now you're job is to ask us questions and come audition!!!
Old 08-26-2007, 12:36 AM
Jhanzelle A. Francis

Whoo hoo!! Auditions!! I'm still tryin to think of songs to sing...but this little novel-esque thing was VERY helpful...thanx!