Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2008, 04:28 PM
Lindsay A. Williams

Post Breadth Requirements

How do they work? My brain cannot manage.

Last edited by Lindsay A. Williams : 10-29-2008 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Kelly A. Shugrue

The basic idea is that you have to take 8 credits (2, 4-credit courses) from each of 4 divisions of the CLA: natural/mathematical sciences, social sciences, humanities, and arts/literatures.
What this means:

Take the natural/mathematical sciences division for example. The departments you can choose from are as follows:

biology, chemistry, mathematics and computer science [note: mathematics and computer sciences is one department], and physics

So, you could take a chemistry course and a physics course (must equal 8 credits combined) and that would fulfill the requirement for natural/mathematical sciences.
Or, you could take a math or comp sci course and a biology course, and that would fulfill the requirement.
The only rule is that you can't take 2 courses from the same department and get rid of this requirement, for example - 2 bio courses won't fulfill the requirement, just half of it.

Same goes for the other divisions, just with the departments that are listed on the page for breadth requirements that you talked about in your post.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:35 PM
Jonathan I. Amira

Following up on that -

Social sciences would include anything from Psychology, Political Science, Sociology, Economics and Anthropology

Humanities would include anything from History, Philosophy, Religion, and Classics

Arts and Lit would include - English, Music, Art, Theatre Arts and any lit. courses offered by the language departments

You also need to do 8 credits of language - 4 credits in a language course (grammar-based) and 4 credits of language in context (literature-based)

Talk to your advisor on seeing if any courses you're interested in can fulfill any of these requirements. For an extra bonus, check out some of the off-campus programs or DIS programs for a real learning experience. The registrar is also usually really flexible if you decide to fulfill gen. ed. through community college over the summer.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:43 AM
Lindsay A. Williams

Thanks, guys

I have it all figured out now - and my advisor did send me that handy-dandy worksheet. I probably should have asked before posting, I just thought those sheets were something someone had made up for personal use - not that they were widespread XD
Old 10-30-2008, 09:38 AM
Junior Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan I. Amira
Following up on that -

Social sciences would include anything from Psychology, Political Science, Sociology, Economics and Anthropology

Humanities would include anything from History, Philosophy, Religion, and Classics

Arts and Lit would include - English, Music, Art, Theatre Arts and any lit. courses offered by the language departments

You also need to do 8 credits of language - 4 credits in a language course (grammar-based) and 4 credits of language in context (literature-based).
A few clarifications,

1. Your advisor should able to explain all this and answer questions.
2. Some departments (like mine) offer courses that meet requirements for two areas (e.g., humanities and literature). Conversely not all courses in these depts meet the same requirement.
3. The foreign-lang requirement is actually for three semesters, one of which may be a language-in-context course. There is no explicit requirement for LIC.