Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2006, 03:28 PM
Dia O'Neil

Default Hindustan!!

Not really much to say. I just got my acceptance letter from CIEE. I officially have five months left in this country before jetting off to India for a semester.

I was trying to figure out how to say that all in Hindi, but my brain's so fried that I completely forgot the correct tenses needed.

[I'm a little excited].
Old 07-31-2006, 11:38 PM
Benjamin R. Shedlock

Pretty sweet deal! What part of India is that that you're going to? And where did the hindi come from? I wasn't aware Drew had anything like that...
Old 08-01-2006, 09:11 AM
Dia O'Neil

Hyderabad. It's in the state of Andhra Pradesh, on the south-east coast, right above the tsunami major-damage area. I won't be near the coast myself, but it's probably just a train ride away

And yeah, Drew doesn't have anything like that. Which is okay, because I learn better on my own. I've been teaching myself Hindi for the past...two and a half months? I started winter of my freshman year, though, and just didn't have a chance to pick it back up until this summer. I'm probably at a proficiency level now that would've otherwise taken me a full semester in a class. I REALLY want to place into the intermediate Hindi class they offer at Hyderabad. I'll also be learning Telegu, which is another reason why I would like to have a basic knowledge of Hindi.

That plus, if I get lost at the Delhi Airport, I can ask for directions

And hey, you're trying to go to Cairo, right? That's awesome. Would have totally been my second choice, and I'm kind of mad that the DSL is right when I'll be in India [except that...I'll be in India, so I can't be TOO upset]. I'm going to teach myself Arabic next, actually, and REALLY want to get myself over to Egypt eventually. It's like every bellydancer's dream. Auuugh. Missed the DIS, too, except that I don't regret going to Greece for a second. The Mediterranean is wonderful. You'll have an amazing time.

Last edited by Dia O'Neil : 08-01-2006 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:03 PM
Benjamin R. Shedlock

No, I'm praying that I get to Cairo. The DSL is totally not targeted at sophomores, and I'm sure that the rest of the applicants have buckets-full better qualifications than I do.

I'm impressed that you did the Hindi on your own. I tried starting arabic that way a number of times, but the furthest I got was the alphabet.

Is the university you are going to study at an American one, or are you just getting thrown into the fire?
Old 08-02-2006, 01:34 PM
Dia O'Neil

Bah, give it a try anyway. The DIS trips are supposedly reserved for sophomores, and yet I had two seniors and a couple of juniors on mine. And assuming you get good recommendations and write a good essay [and the travel alert goes away] I doubt you'll have any trouble getting into a good program

The University of Hyderabad is an Indian institution. Just call me a pyro I guess...heh. I'll be studying with Indian graduate students, actually, although the way Indian universities are set up it will be the academic level of senior year in college here. At least they give us on-campus housing. Another program I was looking at just sent students to Delhi and told them to find their own apartments. Although, with the prices what they are in India, it's easy to get a really swanky, really nice apartment for about $60 a month.

Arabic is such a beautiful language. And even though you didn't get any further than the alphabet, it's really helpful to be able to read the language when in a country that uses a non-roman alphabet for everything, especially when all of the signs are in a strange scrawling script. My rudimentary knowledge of Greek was the only reason I could find my street while in Athens [that and, well, the fact that we were two blocks away from the parthenon helped a bit...]
Old 08-03-2006, 12:47 PM
Benjamin R. Shedlock

That's encouraging. Although I'll tell you that the one annoying thing was te LACK of recommendations... they specificially asked us not to have one. I figured that would have been my one level playing field *shrugs* whatcha gonna do?

So have you gotten practical experience with your hindi before?
Old 08-03-2006, 01:27 PM
Dia O'Neil

oh, egh, that's annoying. although sometimes teacher evals hurt more than help. im convinced that my advisor wrote that i only wanted to go to india to play dress up with saris [which, it turns out, is largely true - but they don't need to know that]. at least that's what he threatened to do

if by practical experience you mean chat with other speakers, then yes, but far too little. i have several friends who know hindi, but i haven't really had a chance to speak with them a length. it should be easier back at school. there are two grad students and a woman at the snack bar who are just DYING for me to get better so that they can adequately poke fun at me :-p
Old 08-10-2006, 02:23 PM
Benjamin R. Shedlock

How did you decide what books to use to study and such? I found it really hard to, on my own, pick something that was useful. For something like Arabic, though, it only took me a little while to find a good book. Is Hindi more difficult to find resources for?
Old 08-10-2006, 02:55 PM
Dia O'Neil

nah, hindi's the national language of india, and even though the majority of people DON'T speak it, you can still find plenty of movies, books, and music in the language. finding stuff for learning gujarati, bengali, and any south indian language aside from tamil is what's difficult. most things seem to be in either hindi or punjabi - at least what is widely available to a foreign audience.

as for how-to books, i just surfed around and looked at reviews on amazon and the like, finally settling on a program with good reviews. i use the "teach yourself" book and audio CD, and had a hindi speaking friend look it over for me. she was impressed with its validity, and i can speak pretty good hindi, so i figure it worked out well enough. i'll probably use the same company when i decide to have a stab at arabic, because it works well for me.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:55 PM
Benjamin R. Shedlock

You're such an international person, what with your hindi-speaking friend and all....... my roommate last year was Indian...... *shifty eyes*