Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2006, 09:16 AM
Dia O'Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin R. Shedlock
You're such an international person, what with your hindi-speaking friend and all....... my roommate last year was Indian...... *shifty eyes*

hehe, well. i tend to surround myself with people who can culture me. i have a friend who can speak armenian too, and one for every major romance language, and arabic, and hindi/gujarati/bengali/punjabi, and swahili, and jamaican creole, and i'm sure i'm missing something.

although, according to john mcwhorter, the concept of a "language" doesn't truly exist - only dialects do. but this is what i get for reading linguistics books when i am supposed to be on break.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:30 PM
Benjamin R. Shedlock

Looks like we will both be out of the country over the winter, Dia

BTW, what does CIEE stand for?
Old 08-16-2006, 10:03 AM
Dia O'Neil

you got into the cairo program? congrats!! you do realize that means i am charging you with bringing me back something, right?

and CIEE stands for Center for International Educational Exchange. at least, i'm pretty sure it does. heh.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:28 PM
Benjamin R. Shedlock

Thanks!

And what can I scrounge up for the great Dia.

Bearing in mind it may be whatever I can get, given that I'll be spending most of my time in a refugee camp.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:29 PM
Benjamin R. Shedlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dia O'Neil
and CIEE stands for Center for International Educational Exchange. at least, i'm pretty sure it does. heh.

heh heh heh.

doesn't matter what it stands for after you get the letter. Was just wondering because my some non-Drew friends are applying to certain things and might be curious.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:45 PM
Dia O'Neil

Quote:
Thanks!

And what can I scrounge up for the great Dia.

Bearing in mind it may be whatever I can get, given that I'll be spending most of my time in a refugee camp.

that is SO FREAKING GODDAMN UNBELIEVEABLY COOL. no, seriously. i cant even express it. again, were i not going to be in india, i would be in cairo with you. i think it is SO important that people get out there and act instead of just sitting around saying "doesn't the world suck?" really, you have all my respect and well-wishes give yourself a pat on the back, because you're doing what most people are too afraid to get out and do.

and i am so not picky. you could bring me back some egyptian sand and i'd probably do a little dance of joy. i have an odd obsession with foreign coffee and candy as well. but man, if you happen to stumble across a middle eastern dance shop, i would KILL for a good [inexpensive ] silk veil. auuugh cairo AUUUGH MY SOUL ACHES FOR THEE.

so happy for you man we definitely must chat when school starts.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:46 PM
Dia O'Neil

Quote:
heh heh heh.

doesn't matter what it stands for after you get the letter. Was just wondering because my some non-Drew friends are applying to certain things and might be curious.

send them here. they have programs all over. CIEE has been nothing but helpful and prompt, i highly recommend them!
Old 08-17-2006, 11:24 PM
Dia O'Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnie Valdivia
hey guys i dunno if this thread is my territory or if i'm supposed to stay in the 2010 forum but i'm really interested in your conversation haha i really want to go abraod A LOT while at Drew. Ben I didn't think students went abroad until junior year but that's awesome if you get to go to Egypt that is definitely the first place I want to go. Dia are you going to India with a Drew program or an outside source? Can you do more than one semester abroad? Ahh sorry for the rambling i just can't wait to cash in on all these opportunities.

what? a freshman stepping outside of the 2010 forum?? we shall string you up by your toes and have at you with rubber chickens!

nah, hell - post wherever you want. we're glad to talk with you wherever

as for going abroad - DO IT. in fact - DO IT TWICE. drew has these nifty little things called International Seminars (a DIS) and now the thing that ben is going on, the Drew Service Programs. those are new, but very similar to the DIS in that they last for three weeks [correct me if im wrong, ben] and are usually less than $2000 [which is AMAZING], and usually occur during jan term or over the summer. the DIS is actually geared more towards sophomores, and the DSP toward upperclassmen [although ben here is proof that the standards never entirely apply]. the DIS is an academic trip whereas the DSP is a service trip. for example, i went to greece as part of a two-part class on the ancient and the modern, and ben is going to help sudanese refugees. damn, if i could go too, i would.

now, studying abroad for a semester generally IS done junior year, but you dont HAVE to. i know people who went sophomore or senior year, but junior years generally fits best into peoples' schedules/social lives. drew offers some programs itself, mainly to london and brussels and...idk, some other places i wasnt really interested in. it also has approved programs through other schools/organizations, which is what mine is. its a little trickier doing an approved program, but not by much, and if you really want to go abroad but arent a poli sci or english major or dont want to stick to traditional locations, then it's probably your best bet.

as for number of semesters abroad...you CAN go for a year, but remember that that's an entire year you're a) not making any money and b) away from all of your friends/family. if it's for you then GO for it [i wouldnt be surprised if i stay in india for the summer, but we'll see], but remember that going abroad is costly and oftentimes any scholarships you have wont follow you [but go to financial aid and check, because sometimes they do - like in my case]. also, you have to make sure your classes count towards your major/minor requirements, blah blah blah. its a pain in the butt but no more so than most things at college.

i cant stress enough how great going aborad is. do a dis first, then jet off for a semester, and if youre lucky, maybe you can do another dis. college travel offers experiences you will NEVER get going off by yourself, so make the most of them.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:34 PM
Benjamin R. Shedlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dia O'Neil
the DIS is actually geared more towards sophomores, and the DSP toward upperclassmen [although ben here is proof that the standards never entirely apply].

Actually, I think there are at least 2 sophomores on the egypt trip, and considering that the email didn't go out to non-juniors and seniors (at least I didn't get it) that's kind of interesting.

The official acronym for the program is Drew Service Learning (or DSL, just in case it wasn't confusing enough). Yeah it is three weeks (but with a 2 credit, semester long pre-departure course, which I believe the DIS has as well). It's only a pilot program right now, so we'll see if it sticks around.

Actually, Drew will probably make it even easier to go abroad in the future given the ever-increasing class sizes (I swear Drew is using in-vitro admissions. We only want 400 some, but it ends up creeping above 500).

The only REAL caveat is, and I can't stress this enough, if you go abroad, you'll have to bring something back for Dia. Just a heads up.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:17 PM
Dia O'Neil

Quote:
The only REAL caveat is, and I can't stress this enough, if you go abroad, you'll have to bring something back for Dia. Just a heads up.

but i will respond in turn with fabulous gifts OF YOUR CHOICE from the land of curry and rice!!