Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students > Current CLA students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2005, 09:52 PM
Sarah E. Maple

Default Jersey

Hey my name is Sarah Maple and I'm from Belmar... NEW JERSEY!
Check me out of facebook or myspace, under parisnightsky20@msn.com.
holla
Old 06-21-2005, 01:22 AM
Elder Drewid

Hey all, I suppose I should post my hellos too....

So yeah, everyone calls me Golly (or Golli if you want to be really Persian about it...), I'm from DC.
I graduated in '04, and I'm looking forward to Drew in the Fall...

I'm into music, mainly, and all things pertaining to music. Also traveling, writing, languages, going out, things of that nature.

Feel free to check out myspace, (http://www.myspace.com/iceprincess2250)
or hit me up on AIM (IcePrincess2250).

Old 06-21-2005, 01:25 AM
Elder Drewid

Oh yeah -- and to the person who started this thread: it's spelled "fellow".

Old 06-21-2005, 09:53 AM
Young Squirrel

Talking Hey!

Hey everyone, I'm Katie from Worcester, Massachusetts. I'm the only one from my class heading to Drew as a Freshman, although one of my good friends applied and got accepted, but went to Dartmouth instead. Oh well, she'll miss out, lol.

My Big Sis here is Casey Talbot, and feel free to IM me anyone. I'd love to get to know any fellow freshmen.

AIM: Almarealyatule (dont ask, its a different language)

MSN: MoonAngel20@msn.com

I'm on Facebook too, so feel free to look me up as well.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:55 AM
Gary A. Hochman

Exclamation A word of Caution

Hey guys, one of your friendly Orientation Tri-Chairs, Gary, here. Just a word of warning for you. These are public forums that can be viewed by anyone, so you might not want to be posting AIM screen names and other personal details. Instead, if you want to chat with someone, try sending them a Private Message (click the bubble next to their name in a post and select "Send private message...) with your screen name. See you all in the fall!
Old 06-21-2005, 11:08 AM
Elder Drewid

A "Public" Forum is no worse than Myspace or Facebook.

You can also opt to have your screen name show up to everyone by adding it under the User Options (see the little AIM icon in the corner of people's names?). How is typing it out in a thread any different?

Now email is a different story -- often times people set up searches for emails in forums, and then send them spam.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:38 AM
Gary A. Hochman

Actually a public forum is a little worse, at least with Facebook as Facebook requires a valid college email address to access and you can set it so that only people from your school can view your profile and contact information. And yes, you are right that having your screen name show up to everyone is not much different typing it in a thread, but I meant the warning to encompass that as well. If people do not want everyone on the internet to be able to see their screen name, then they should be sure not to put that information out there. Sometimes people get lulled into a false sense of safety with things like these as they assume that it is only members of the Drew community reading it when that is not necessarily true (the same thing happens with livejournals all the time where people put things in it and it ends up being a huge deal because they did not realize how many people could see it). I just wanted to remind people of that. Thanks for the input!
Old 06-21-2005, 11:44 AM
Jack H. Chumley

Default Hello

Hi, my name is Jack Chumley, and I'm from New York City. I am excited and interested in what my future at Drew will entail. I joined the facebook last night but have barely anything in my profile. I plan to major in History, I may minor in linguistics or something like philosophy. I want to be a college History professor. Anyway I would love to chat with you folks, my sn is Jhmc85.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary A. Hochman
Actually a public forum is a little worse, at least with Facebook as Facebook requires a valid college email address to access and you can set it so that only people from your school can view your profile and contact information.

Realistically, once you make that information available to 3,000+ people at your school, there is no reasonable expectation that isn't equivalent to publicly available.

If you don't want something to be available, you shouldn't publish it.

Can you personally vouch for everyone that happens to have a Drew uLgoin account and thus a Drew email address that can be used to get a Facebook account? Trusting 3,000 arbitrary users who have whatever relationship (which may be a very tangential relationship in some cases, contractors, consultants, etc.) with Drew, where you wouldn't want that information to be generally available is a mistake.

I'd generally advise that you either decide to publish certain information or not, but drawing an arbitrary line around Drew (or more to the point, people with Drew uLogin accounts) doesn't gain much in terms of privacy.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:44 PM
Elder Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary A. Hochman
Actually a public forum is a little worse, at least with Facebook as Facebook requires a valid college email address to access and you can set it so that only people from your school can view your profile and contact information. And yes, you are right that having your screen name show up to everyone is not much different typing it in a thread, but I meant the warning to encompass that as well. If people do not want everyone on the internet to be able to see their screen name, then they should be sure not to put that information out there. Sometimes people get lulled into a false sense of safety with things like these as they assume that it is only members of the Drew community reading it when that is not necessarily true (the same thing happens with livejournals all the time where people put things in it and it ends up being a huge deal because they did not realize how many people could see it). I just wanted to remind people of that. Thanks for the input!

ps -- Dear Mods, I think we should cut the 10 character post limit! Love, Golly