Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Gripes
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2012, 08:38 PM
Young Squirrel

Thumbs down The Commons

Is it just me or is the food in The Commons already abysmal? The bread that they had tonight seemed to be at least two days old as I had to drench it in olive oil, so that I would not break my teeth on it, and the pasta was so undercooked that I felt as if I was eating shoe leather. I could not even identify some of the other stuff that was being served tonight. I have had negative opinions regarding the food at The Commons ever since I started here in Fall 2008, but it just seems to have gotten so much worse this past year.

Has anybody else noticed the same thing?
Old 01-26-2012, 03:13 AM
Ranger Cub

yup!! every year it gets worse
Old 01-26-2012, 03:43 PM
Squirrel

ehhh, i thought it wasn't that bad.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:01 PM
Junior Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilan Ponimansky
The only real way to change that is to boycott the commons. Its not so difficult to remove the meal plan if you bring your parents and show that you can be provided for.

Or you could tell the service staff in attendance that the pasta is under cooked and it needs to be redone. They will listen if you ask (politely). If they aren't given direct feedback, they won't know there is an issue (just like in a restaurant). Try it and see what happens. You might be pleasantly surprised. PS Drew's food is great compared to a bunch of other NJ colleges!
Old 02-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Junior Drewid

It's really unfortunate that the cafeteria quality is so poor, as you describe. It's definitely an issue that the student body needs to collectively stand together on or else it won't be addressed. It's good that you are at least able to feed yourself outside of the cafeteria.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Squirrel

I can understand how students may feel regarding Aramark food but Aramark has been trying to do better. Plus, I hear students say that they could find food cheaper, but I also hear them say they have to find a way to get there. In the summertime it may not be a problem to go into town and pick up a bite to eat but in the winter, staying on campus is always been a plus.
As students write down what you would like to see changed. Submit it not just to the chef but to those higher up. Make sure everyone in the chain of command is aware of the changes you would like to see. Ask about having once or twice a week food trucks to come on campus that way it gives you some food diversity but on campus.
Working with a department instead of just complaining about it is always better. You can complain all you want but if you do nothing else but complain how is that helping the situation. See if students can get together a student food committee that works closely with the chef and Aramark on menus and maybe even with the execution of food.
Remember, not everyone can afford to go off campus and wouldn't it be better to help make the food situation better rather than just boycotting it? If the university said your on your own for meals, then that would be something else you'd complain about.
Working together students and staff is what will make things happen. They can't happen if you won't work together.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:01 PM
Junior Drewid

Nicely put, Tricia!