Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Faculty & Staff Forums > Faculty and Staff Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Squirrel

Default University Club

Who agrees with me that erecting what amounts to a wall in the Commons to separate the faculty and staff from the students sends a bad message? During the construction of the new Ehinger Center, we may be sacrificing the use of the University Club, but the students are sacrificing a lot more by doing without the UC. Can we not eat lunch in the same room with them? Those who agree with me, let's eat lunch in the main part of the Commons rather than behind the wall.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Young Squirrel

Default lunch in peace

I am teaching three classes, holding 4.5+ hours of office hours per week, and advising 45 students. I would like to eat my lunch with my colleagues in relative peace and privacy. My students know where and when they can find me--I prefer that lunchtime not be one of those options.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Squirrel

Default About lunch

I'd like to thank both Alan and Tina for posting about this issue. For me, a new problem has arisen -- namely that because I can relate to both perspectives on the issue, it feels like no matter where I choose to sit, I'll be taking sides. This is simply not the case. In my opinion, it's really just lunch, and I enjoy eating with my staff and faculty colleagues, without having to worry about whether my choice of a table makes a statement or not. Thanks for your understanding, and see you at lunch!
Old 09-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Squirrel

Default University Club

Yes, it's really just lunch and you should just enjoy it, regardless of where you choose to sit. It's not about the people who eat the lunch. I wish they could have found a way to reserve/suggest a section for faculty and staff without putting up an opaque barrier that, at least, to me, sends an awful message. I've been eating in the main section, at a table with faculty or staff colleagues, and no one has yet come over to interrupt me with business or questions. I think the students like to enjoy their lunch in peace as well. I was once at an institution where everyone ate lunch in the same dining room, and people of all kinds generally ate with their friends without interruption. The culture here has been a separate University Club, which didn't bother me when it was in a separate location, but does bother me when it involves erecting a wall in the students' dining room and then walking through the main section in order to recede behind the wall. (If they erected a wall in the University Club and said that only presidents and deans could eat behind it, ...)
Old 09-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Junior Drewid

Default Club?

My long-standing view of this has to do with another aspect of the issue: Why a club at all? Can't we just have a faculty/staff dining commons? And one that serves lunch past 1 pm?

When I was in school, special groups (like language tables) could meet with faculty in their dining commons, which was very nice and made the event feel special.

(That said, I can understand both sides of this, and tend to agree with Alan that building a wall was perhaps unnecessary.)

I await the Acorn coverage.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Squirrel

Personally, I just want a place where I can eat lunch in (relative) peace and quiet without needing to talk shop unless I want to. The price is right and the food is decent. Beyond that, I just don't have strong opinions on the matter.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:48 PM
Squirrel

Default University Center - Is it really that serious?

As like everyone else I can understand both sides, however being both staff and student, I don't think students really want to go over to their professor during lunch and hold an indepth conversation.

If the feeling is that there needs to be some kind of separation then have a shorter wall/separation where faculty/staff can still enjoy their lunch but still not give the feeling like "we don't want to have anything to do with you while we are eating!".

The University Club always seemed to make many of us feel like belonging to the University Club was being a part of an exclusive club. If you couldn't afford it or didn't have someone who was a "member" to bring you in as a guest then you couldn't come in and eat. By putting up a large wall, your doing the same thing - aren't you? The only difference is your not asking for fac/staff to pay a membership fee to eat there.

Since we are getting a new and better location, I don't see why we all can't eat in the same location. However, if you want to be able to satisfy those who want to be separated, then put up a short wall/separation. You can always put up a really nice sign that says "Faculty/Staff Dining Lounge" - this way students are aware that the faculty/staff sit there. If you are approached during lunch, you can always politely tell the student you would be happy to discuss their concerns during your office hours. However, I don't think you will have to.

I think by erecting an entire wall sends a message that I don't want to know you while I'm eating. Seriously, it's just lunch and aren't we suppose to show the students that we are all part of this great community? How are we doing that if we can't even share a space to eat? Just my opinion.