Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Alex K. Frank

Default Jesus Christ!!!!!!!!!

honestly diane, i'm supwised.

Last edited by Alex K. Frank : 07-03-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Susie H. Thomas

Dear Alex and Webmaster at Drew,

Any particular reason for the use of Jesus' name as an epithet? It bothers me, frankly, and I bet i am not alone - especally since it was evidently to no purpose at all.
Yours,
Susie
Old 07-03-2008, 07:55 PM
Squirrel

Freedom of speech is not a free for all...... and people may exercise their freedom of speech in response. The institution you refer to (Drew University) is not just a college but a Theological School as well (where people are preparing for professional ministry among other things), hence expect response when one decides to exercise their free speech in the manner that Alex did. let me make plain he has every right to do so, but you can not then silence the response.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Young Squirrel

Default Amen to that...

Hey Jennifer...great response and it is true. FREE SPEECH is not a free for all and it is certainly not one-sided! If a racist or a sexist came on here bashing people, no one would be calling for Drew to keep their comments posted. Rather, everyone (including those who tout "freedom of speech" every time they speak irresponsibly) would be applauding Drew for removing the comments. We may be free to speak, but our free speech is not without ramification.

Last edited by Todd R. Lattig : 07-03-2008 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:58 AM
Junior Drewid

Hey all, Look as a pagan student leader on campus I don't have an issue with free speech; I also have no issue with religious topics about Christianity or any religion.

However I know I speak for many in saying that if this post was meant in any way as an offensive comment towards Christians then they have every right to petition to have this post removed. I'd expect the same on my end. As such letís leave this one to the web masters to decide on wither or not itís meant to be offensive or not.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:54 PM

There's a difference between what some would consider an offensive comment and one that would constitute hate speech and be actionable under the University's human rights policy. If anyone feels that falls into the latter category, there is a formal process and one can raise the issue with Student Life.

The original post isn't breaking any laws or attacking anyone individually. Some might consider it offensive--or simply juvenile--but in either case, he has the right to speak. Those who are offended have the same right to respond. We won't be silencing anyone today.

Thanks.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:30 PM
Susie H. Thomas

Well, we've had a good discussion of an important topic here (What happened to Alex??). Thank you all, and it's good to see so many Theo School folks posting!

One may have the right to speak, but is it necessarily right to do so? Is it courteous, thoughtful, considerate of others' feelings to use so significant a name so freely and to no evident purpose except to make a remark to someone else? (I thought this forum was to be a public message board, not a private message service...).

Freedom of speech: It's alive and well at Drew on this Independence Day!
Peace!
susie
Old 07-05-2008, 12:57 PM
Daniel F. Willard

god, i love you alex. and actually, im a broom.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Junior Drewid

ďFree speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.Ē
Abbie Hoffman
Old 07-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Clea J. Mahoney

Excellent quote! Thank gosh for somewhat-free speech.