Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2005, 04:18 AM
Elder Drewid

Default Now that we've all seen RateMyProfessors.com...

Do any of you have advice when it comes to professors?

Is there anybody that you thought was an outstanding teacher?

How about a horrible one?

Okay, short of actually pointing out anything really mean about specific profs, does anyone have an opinion on the best teachers for their major? What about a style of learning? Who gives out the most homework? Who doesn't care if you never show up to class? Kidding about that last one.....sorta...

I found quite a few Drew profs listed on RateMyProfessors.com, but is that site really accurate?
Post it!!
Old 08-08-2005, 11:04 AM

I'm not sure how valuble it really is. I hadn't really looked in a long, long time, but you need to remember it's a self-selecting sample, and people often are more likely to complain than post postive things in that situation. That being said, it's probably more likely that the positive reviews are fair than the negative. And there's nothing saying that someone actually had a professor, took a class, or only reviewed once -- in most cases, you don't need a login on their site to post a review. I'd also look at the dates of the reviews. A bunch of old reviews, or ones that were clumped up in time might be a sign that something else is going on. Obviously, these are very small samples, in addition to the self-selection problem, so I'd view most as anecdotal information rather than a "rating".

Given the self-selecting nature:

1) Comments, if they are articulate and balanced (rather than personal attacks) are often more valuble than the actual rating.
2) If I were looking at ratings, and didn't have any background information, I'd probably discount reviews by students who complained about a professor or a particular course being difficult. A class is supposed to be work.
3) If positive feedback indicates that a professor offered challenging material, it's likely the sign of a good reviewer -- they're looking at what they learned in the class, not their grade.

Last edited by Paul R. Coen : 08-08-2005 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:11 AM

Default On, on the full disclosure front . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. Coen
didn't have any background information

In addition to working at Drew, I'm an alumnus of the college -- 1991. And "back in the day" a full load was five, 3-credit classes a semester.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:38 PM
Dia O'Neil

i worship most of the english department. martha butler, the resident linguistics teacher, is god. ask anybody who knows me - she is known only as god, or perhaps the "master teacher". basically you either love her or hate her. i love her. because of her i read linguistics theory books for fun and enjoy them. because of her i spend my time dissecting persian morphemes and reconstructing sentences. because of her my room shall be decorated in indo-european root words on bright green poster board. however, all of that could also have something to do with the fact that i am a huge and hopeless dork.

i also enjoy jim hala and gerry smith-wright. i haven't had prof. hala in class, but he is probably going to be my advisor. gerry is AMAZING, hilarious, and a really fair grader. she and i always bantered after class and i became a sort of messenger between her and martha since i had their classes back to back and helped them make fun of each other :-P

deb liebowitz is also fantastic. oh my god. she's not going to be here this year but if you EVER have a chance to take intro to womens studies with her, DO IT. prepare to have your ass kicked academically but you will also learn so much that your head hurts. plus you get to do cool projects, like analyze videogames and play them for research, hehe.

i think that's about it for the rave reviews. i haven't ever had a teacher that i have particularly disliked, but i certainly have heard stories.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:45 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

Some of the comments are really funny. "When will we play Ping Pong Again?!?!?!??" or "Overall poor professor with even worse hairstyle."
Old 08-09-2005, 01:47 AM
Amanda L. Brennan

I second Dia on both Jim Hala and Martha Butler. I'm pretty sure they're my favorite people in the universe. Prof Hala is amazzzinggggg in class and he's totally captivating. And Prof Butler is so so so funny and so intelligent. And her wardrobe is simply fantastic.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:13 AM
Dia O'Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda L. Brennan
I second Dia on both Jim Hala and Martha Butler. I'm pretty sure they're my favorite people in the universe. Prof Hala is amazzzinggggg in class and he's totally captivating. And Prof Butler is so so so funny and so intelligent. And her wardrobe is simply fantastic.

like the butterfly stockings? also, first day of class: "i'm going to hand out the syllabus and then pee. you don't have to take notes on this."

and, one of my favorites:
"your mother was fucking the milkman! see, it's not funny if it's not clever." - martha
"i don't know, i thought it was pretty funny." - matt
"that's because a teacher broke a language taboo! i'm on to you!" - martha

i can't believe i missed one of her classes. although i had a...good reason. heh.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:24 AM
Elder Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dia O'Neil

"your mother was fucking the milkman! see, it's not funny if it's not clever." - martha

So is it sad that I know exactly which joke she's talking about?
Old 08-09-2005, 10:13 AM
Dia O'Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golly Tabatabaie
So is it sad that I know exactly which joke she's talking about?

wait a minute, you mean there was a method to her madness? and here i thought that was a martha original...lol.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:43 AM
Amanda L. Brennan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dia O'Neil
like the butterfly stockings? also, first day of class: "i'm going to hand out the syllabus and then pee. you don't have to take notes on this."

"i don't know, i thought it was pretty funny." - matt
"that's because a teacher broke a language taboo! i'm on to you!" - martha

i can't believe i missed one of her classes. although i had a...good reason. heh.

OH MY GOD. yes.yes.yes. dia. i cannot wait for the fall. tuesdays are going to be the best days of our lives.