Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students > Current CLA students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2005, 03:09 PM
Jenna L. Scandone

Default Two Questions..well three

someone probably asked this before but i dont think anyone gave a specific answer.

do you HAVE to bring a printer if you are planning on using your laptop only? or can you just plug into a printer anywhere around campus when you need to print something.

secondly, ive heard the plugs are really inconvinient, and even if you have a surge protecter, wires arent that long, how are you supposed to plug things in cuz they probably wont reach a surge protector on the floor or if you have a lamp cliped on your bed it wont reach the surge protector on your desk. someone explain. im sure it works im just confused

oh and what do we need for classes? like notebooks or file folders or calculators? any specifics.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:54 PM
Gary A. Hochman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna L. Scandone
do you HAVE to bring a printer if you are planning on using your laptop only? or can you just plug into a printer anywhere around campus when you need to print something.

There are not just printers anywhere on campus you can plug into. There are various places where you can print things on campus, but there is a cost associated with them. I suppose you don't HAVE to bring one, but if you don't you will either have to pay to use a printer in one of the labs or the library (though I am still not sure the exact workings of the library printing policy since it is being changed), or be constantly asking to borrow someone else's. Your best bet really is to bring a printer.

Quote:
secondly, ive heard the plugs are really inconvinient, and even if you have a surge protecter, wires arent that long, how are you supposed to plug things in cuz they probably wont reach a surge protector on the floor or if you have a lamp cliped on your bed it wont reach the surge protector on your desk. someone explain. im sure it works im just confused

There are a fair number of outlets in various locations around the room. Additionally, it is not hard to find a surge protector that has a 6 foot cord. With a 6 foot cord on the surge protector I have never had a problem where I couldnt plug something in (and I've lived in every 1st year hall except Tolley). Once you figure out where you want everything, it shouldnt be too hard to find a way so that everything can be plugged in.

Quote:
oh and what do we need for classes? like notebooks or file folders or calculators? any specifics.

It depends on what classes you are taking. If the class requires a calculator, they will tell you that. As for taking notes, I personally use my laptop, but most people just use a regular notebook. If you get one that has a little folder in the front for handouts you get in class, you'll be all set. Or, you could also go with a 3 ring binder.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:02 AM
Dia O'Neil

i'd bring a printer, or at least talk with your roomie so that one of you has one. sure you might get a lot of people asking to print stuff off, but i have found that, if you're cool with it, then they're cool with pitching in money for ink later on so yeah - make sure that you have one at your disposal, ESPECIALLY because the library is starting to charge this year. ugh.

as for cords...trust me, your room will be so small that length won't be a problem [haha]. in all seriousness, i only had an issue with my fan because my bed was bunked and it was more an issue of there being no place to put it more than there being no plugs. get surge protectors and the cords on your appliances should be long enough. and this is from a tolley perspective to complement gary's input.

classes...don't worry too much. have a big notebook to take notes [or use your laptop, which can become tedious sometimes i have found] and a few folders, binders...you'll figure out which classes need which by the end of the first week or two, and anything extra can just be used in the spring. also, the university bookstore has pretty much everything you need [assuming you only need one or two things...DONT do all of your shopping there unless you like being broke] and there are stores in madison and on route 10 if you can find an upperclassman cool enough to cart you around pens and pencils seem to disappear quickly, though, so i recommend having a bunch of them around. oh, and scissors and tape. and a glue stick. i never would have believed how convenient my glue stick would become...hah.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:42 AM
Amanda L. Brennan

GLUE STICKS 4 LIFE!!

And don't forget a stapler, to staple all your papers together. Best thing I ever brought to college. And crayons. But that's just because I like to color.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:26 AM
Elder Drewid

Heheheh, okay if I plan my supply list according to you two I have: glue sticks, swingline, crayons.

Looks good!
Old 08-17-2005, 12:31 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

you'll probably need paper.

unless you want to glue staples to crayons, that is.

which would be modern art, I suppose, so you could make millions of dollars and drop out of school to make more art and make more money.

so no paper, then.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Dia O'Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golly Tabatabaie
Heheheh, okay if I plan my supply list according to you two I have: glue sticks, swingline, crayons.

Looks good!

hey, by the time drew's done sucking your life and savings away, you're gonna be happy for even THAT much

or maybe i just spend too much money on chinese food...
Old 08-18-2005, 01:53 AM
Amanda L. Brennan

Dia, packs of elmer's glue sticks were on sale at walmart for about 50 cents a pop this summer. Crayola crayons, a quarter. It was very hard getting myself to go into the walmart, but once I did....man, it was so worth it. I love cheap.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:21 PM
Jenna L. Scandone

dont get me started on coloring supplies. when i was in disney world with my choir this year, i bought a coloring book, cuz im in love with them, and the only colored pensils around cost 2 dollers more than the coloring book itself. apparently those colors are blessed by the mouse.

thats my story