Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students > Current CLA students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2005, 04:47 PM
Jessica L. Granek

Default Computer Carrying

Hi I was curious as to how people carry their computers around campus. Do people just throw them in their backpacks or use a special bag or what? Thanks
Old 08-19-2005, 05:02 PM
Gary A. Hochman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica L. Granek
Hi I was curious as to how people carry their computers around campus. Do people just throw them in their backpacks or use a special bag or what? Thanks

I'd say most people use the cases they got with their laptop, but some do use backpacks.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:03 PM
Eliza D. Mills

also, how does everyone tell the computers apart since they are all the same...should i just write my name on it with a sharpie or something?
Old 08-19-2005, 05:11 PM
Christopher J. Carpenter

Default Oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary A. Hochman
I'd say most people use the cases they got with their laptop, but some do use backpacks.

Whoa...wait a minute..back up. We get carrying cases with the Drew computers?

Darn... that means I just threw $40 out the window... *sighs* Thank God I still have the receipt. Lol.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:19 PM
Gary A. Hochman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher J. Carpenter
Whoa...wait a minute..back up. We get carrying cases with the Drew computers?

Darn... that means I just threw $40 out the window... *sighs* Thank God I still have the receipt. Lol.

I don't actually know that for a fact, but cases have been included in every model since I've been here. The CNS guys are pretty active on the board though so Im sure you'll have a definitive answer soon.

Last edited by Gary A. Hochman : 08-19-2005 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:21 PM
Gary A. Hochman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza D. Mills
also, how does everyone tell the computers apart since they are all the same...should i just write my name on it with a sharpie or something?

Well chances are you are always going to know where you left your computer, so most people don't get them confused very often. A simple label would work though.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:21 PM

Yes, the computers come with a carrying case. That's just another part of the amazing value we're able to provide you. We also require the computer to be in its case if it needs to visit the CNS Helpdesk for repairs.

Many people do tend to "personalize" their computer with stickers, paint, etc. The computers also have a plastic window on the bottom designed for a business card that you could put identifiying information in. Furthermore, by default, the computers are configured so only you (and systems administrators) will be able to get full access to them by logging in. So you'll know it's not yours when you try and log in to it. We can also identify the computer both by its serial number and domain registration. I don't hear many problems of people not being able to identify their computers.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:11 PM
Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary A. Hochman
I personally prefer using my lapotp backpack. I perfer to carry the weight over my torso than one sholder, espescially when I also have a school bag full of books competing for space on my back. Also, I like all the various pockets and pouch for peripherals (mouse, power cord, ethernet cord, etc...). The carrying case is good for sure, but I just prefer to have everything in one place.

"I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence."
Old 08-20-2005, 11:22 AM
Jenna L. Scandone

what cords come with the computer, like do we need to purchase cables so we can connect to the internet in our dorms or does a CAT 5 come with the computer? and does the computer come with a USB cable so you can connect to a printer on campus? or would you have to buy one. im on my way out right now, so any info in the next say.....5 minuites would help.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:15 PM
Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna L. Scandone
what cords come with the computer, like do we need to purchase cables so we can connect to the internet in our dorms or does a CAT 5 come with the computer? and does the computer come with a USB cable so you can connect to a printer on campus? or would you have to buy one. im on my way out right now, so any info in the next say.....5 minuites would help.
You are provided with cat 5 cable for connecting ot the network. Since you are not being provided a printer, you will probably not be provided with a usb cable. Most of the publicly available printers on campus are networked and dont require a usb cable to connect to and print to. If you want to bring your own printer, the printer will likely come with its own usb cable.

"I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence."

Last edited by Kevin P. Egan : 08-20-2005 at 02:35 PM.