Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Gripes
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2010, 12:55 AM
Ranger Cub

Default Air conditioning in Riker

Does anyone else think it might be good for Drew to turn it off on the nights when the temperature outside is less than 60F? Just for the eight or so hours that it's cool outside?

I need long pajamas and multiple blankets at night to stay warm in my room, and there are probably people in the non-air-conditioned residence halls sweating uncomfortably. Something is wrong here.

Right now it's 48F outside, and Riker's air conditioning is on. There is something wrong here. There has to be a way for Drew to fix this so that everyone is (or most students are) comfortable at night in terms of the temperature of their rooms. :/

Would any Riker resident here have a strong objection to having Drew turn off the air conditioning during the night this month and turning it back on in the morning?
Webmaster, Drew Alliance
Old 09-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Ranger Cub

I would object just because I feel like they wouldn't remember to turn it back on...though honestly, my roommate and I get hot during the night with the A/C the way it is, with two fans running in the room as well. One room in our quad seems to get colder than the other, for whatever reason, and every time my roommate and I have tried opening our windows, they detach from the window altogether, which is a bit of a deterrent (along with the noise from the townhouses). I agree with you that everyone should be relatively comfortable, and that's Drew's own fault for not putting A/C in all of the dorms on campus, but I think it's a lot easier to bundle and warm back up if you're cold than to try and cool down in a stuffy room if you're too hot. I get your point, but having AC was one reason I wanted to live in Riker, so I personally would object.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:49 PM
Young Squirrel

Default A couple quick tips

Check the thermostat control in your Riker quad. You can adjust the temperature to make it warmer / colder. It should be in one of the rooms if not in all of them? Also, check the air vents because the positioning of the grating is adjustable can make all the difference in HOW the air gets out into your rooms.
(PS I have never lived in Riker)
Old 09-08-2010, 10:17 AM
Junior Drewid

Its controlled by the smaller of the rooms btw. Also Riker has the issue of the air only goes up and down by so much despite what the thermastat says. So since they really only drop to 70 its more likely that your just getting the extra chill from the cement blocks they built with retaining the cold/heat. So there isn't much you can do. I know once the heat comes on full swing it blasts and you'll prob have to open the windows in riker to cope with the temp.

But yeah as a riker 1 resident I can say our quad gets toasty as is some nights via the floor so we're already getting heat from pipes and the folks below us.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:20 AM
Young Squirrel

Default Riker Air Conditioning

There are individual temperature controls within each quad that allows the residents to have the flexibility of adjusting the temperature within a four degree range of 70-74 degrees. As the temperatures drop at night, the air conditioning should not be circulating if the temperature in the room drops below the thermostat setting. If you feel there are specific problems with a quad, please do not hesitate to call the Facilities Service Response Center at extension 3510.

-Facilities Management
Old 02-23-2011, 04:27 PM
Squirrel

Supposedly 69 degrees is where one should set the thermostat all year round. That allows for the fact that body heat helps heat the room in the winter and keeps people from broiling in January.