Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Technology Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Lindsay A. Williams

Default Mac + Drew internet = ?

If I get a Mac, will I be able to connect to the Drew internet? Will CNS have to mess with it and put all sorts of Drew clutter onto it? I'll still have my Drew PC from freshman year for the K-drive and Groupwise but I want something that doesn't blue-screen and make noises like a freight train to write my thesis on. Will I be able to just plug it in, or will I need special stuff for the network to recognize it?

(And since apple has a deal right now where you get a free iPod touch with a new laptop for college, will it be able to connect to the wireless?)
Old 08-13-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay A. Williams
If I get a Mac, will I be able to connect to the Drew internet? Will CNS have to mess with it and put all sorts of Drew clutter onto it? I'll still have my Drew PC from freshman year for the K-drive and Groupwise but I want something that doesn't blue-screen and make noises like a freight train to write my thesis on. Will I be able to just plug it in, or will I need special stuff for the network to recognize it?

(And since apple has a deal right now where you get a free iPod touch with a new laptop for college, will it be able to connect to the wireless?)
If you only need internet access, you can just plug the Mac in.

The iPod Touch should work with the wireless as well. You will still be prompted for your uLogin ID and password when you vist an off-campus website for the first time, however.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:

If your computer is really making that much noise, and crashing, you may want to bring it by the Helpdesk. We fix things like that.

And yes, you can plug anything in to our network, and run anything off the wireless, pretty much. We don't restrict it (except for authentication on the wireless). Hope those of you who have them are enjoying your Xboxes and TiVos and such.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:52 PM
Lindsay A. Williams

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thank you both so much! I'm glad to hear that it will work.

And I do know that I can bring my computer in for all kinds of things because CNS is fabulous and helpful and all that. It is perhaps not in as dire a condition as it sounds. I've had it in before and nothing's officially wrong with it - it's just noisy as hell and a bit more of a jerk than I want to deal with on a regular basis.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:59 PM

Most of the rumor sites are reporting new MacBooks and MacBook Pros in September, that will likely be closer in spec to the T400 the freshmen are getting. You may want to hold off if this is a machine you plan on using for a few years. Of course, you're not likely to get the free iPod with the new computer--Apple, in fact, is likely giving away the iPod Touches to help deplete their inventory of computers in advance of the new models coming out.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:13 AM
Junior Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richichi
Most of the rumor sites are reporting new MacBooks and MacBook Pros in September, that will likely be closer in spec to the T400 the freshmen are getting. You may want to hold off if this is a machine you plan on using for a few years. Of course, you're not likely to get the free iPod with the new computer--Apple, in fact, is likely giving away the iPod Touches to help deplete their inventory of computers in advance of the new models coming out.
Apple does this deal every year - anyone who works at an academic institution qualifies, though the advertising is aimed at students - so it has nothing to do with inventory (unless it has to do with inventory every year).

On the new models, it'll be an announcement in Sept, not a release. If you look at the pattern on MacRumors, you'll see that the models come out later in the fall...in time for Christmas, of course.

Many of us use Macs quite happily on campus.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:57 PM
Daniel M. Lawson

Quote:
I'll still have my Drew PC from freshman year for the K-drive and Groupwise

For what it's worth, I usually have no problem connecting to the shared network drives by pressing command-K in the Finder, then connecting to afp://causeway-o.drew.edu/ with my username and password. The shared drives mount in the Finder.

There is a Mac groupwise client, a web interface, and an not-officially-supported-but-it-usually-works-great IMAP interface to your e-mail. If you need to run specific software (say autocad, or SPSS or E-views) that is either Windows-only or else the school's copy is a Windows license, you might need your Drew PC (or to run Windows on a Mac), but there are a number of us who get by just fine without using Windows on a daily basis.

Your milage, of course, may vary. The Drew PC provides a wonderful standardized computer platform that faculty can count on all students having, and sometimes that turns out to be a real feature, but for some functions, there are a number of quite reasonable work-arounds.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel M. Lawson
The Drew PC provides a wonderful standardized computer platform that faculty can count on all students having, and sometimes that turns out to be a real feature, but for some functions, there are a number of quite reasonable work-arounds.

Well put. The issue is that CNS (and ITS to a similar extent) are not staffed or resourced to handle issues outside of the standard systems and packages. We're maximizing our resources with the standard computing platform, while realizing the ecosystem is bigger than what we provide alone. We do what we can, but ultimately focus on the maximum benefit for the majority of people.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:15 PM
Daniel M. Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richichi
Well put. The issue is that CNS (and ITS to a similar extent) are not staffed or resourced to handle issues outside of the standard systems and packages. We're maximizing our resources with the standard computing platform, while realizing the ecosystem is bigger than what we provide alone. We do what we can, but ultimately focus on the maximum benefit for the majority of people.

And you do a darn good job of it. Thank you.