uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2005, 12:15 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel
[pipelining] is something the browsers are all terrible at for whatever reason

does tweaking the about:config pipelining prefs (at least in firefox/mozilla) make this better, or does even that not help enough? I've changed them some, (turning pipelining on, changing maxrequests to 8), but if it won't help (especially with the proxy, as there's a seperate pref for proxy pipelining, which I've left alone), then I'll stop fussing with them. thanks.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:39 PM
Amanda L. Brennan

Why is home.drew.edu broken? I wanted to ask but I couldn't figure out how to get here for awhile. forums.drew.edu is an interesting concept that doesn't get much use, huh?

Also, for firefox, my proxy is http://proxy.drew.edu/default.pac
Is there a difference? What is default.pac?
Old 11-09-2005, 12:46 PM
Gary A. Hochman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda L. Brennan
Why is home.drew.edu broken?

Works fine for me
Old 11-09-2005, 12:50 PM

Default It's not . . .

I had to reboot the (virtual) server that that web server was running on last night. If you do a reload in the browser on that page, it should work. My guess is that you have the error page cached locally.

In terms of the proxy and Firefox, I'd just follow the directions that Zach posted earlier rather than worrying about your current settings. That's the same way I have mine set up.

Quote:
Why is home.drew.edu broken? I wanted to ask but I couldn't figure out how to get here for awhile. forums.drew.edu is an interesting concept that doesn't get much use, huh?

Old 11-09-2005, 12:58 PM
Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by John D. Muccigrosso
Dave,

Nice stats in the jpegs. Thanks. What's with the extremely large http portion? Is that AIM or something else using port 80, or maybe large file downloads coming across via http? Also, looks like MS Player is a big chunk too, and BitTorrent is in there.

Interesting stuff.

The stats in the screenshot were based on a thirty second sample of the network taken yesterday afternoon. With such a small sample, you might have something high on the list that someone only used for a few minutes. To get an accurate measure of what's most heavily used we'd have to look at a much longer span of time.

One thing's for sure- HTTP is always on top- Can't think of a time where it hasn't been. It's part web browsing, part file downloads. Some applications may try to use HTTP as a transport but our device does Layer 7 (application level) analysis and is often able to detect that and prioritize it accordingly.

Even looking at thirty days of network use, HTTP and P2P will always show up in the top of the most active protocols list because they're the most consistently used. P2P never slows down, despite the fact that some people think we have it blocked.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:37 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

Quote:

Well, if I had linked the proxy server instructions page in addition to making new screenshots (because firefox does it slightly differently than Mozilla), you could have read that /default.pac turns the proxy on only when you're off-campus, and only for certain sites. It won't do anything if you're on-campus.

Yesterday, I turned the proxy on for my firefox (no default.pac, so it's doing something now) and it seems to be faster. I haven't really done any testing, but it seems to be nice. And, the more people that turn it on for on campus, the faster everything goes for everyone. Which is very nice. So, at this point, it seems as though turning setting it to proxy.drew.edu is the way to go to make it faster, both for you and others.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:25 PM
Noah C. Rosenfield

i have come across about 3 sites which don't work in mozilla but do in firefox since i've been here. i can't remember two of them, i only remember that mozilla was an "unsupported browser" and firefox worked fine. however, the other one happens to be myspace! certain pages and forms refuse to work on Mozilla but will work just fine on Firefox. A more specific example is the song upload feature. Mozilla refuses and myspace constantly returns an error message while Firefox does the job.

also, thanks for the proxy set-up. i'm about to test it now. we'll see if i can break the 8KB speed barrier this time.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:27 PM
Noah C. Rosenfield

sruvey says......BOOYAH. that's muuuuuuch better. 321KB/sec, quite nice.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:47 PM
Junior Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by David J. Wilson
One thing's for sure- HTTP is always on top- Can't think of a time where it hasn't been. It's part web browsing, part file downloads. Some applications may try to use HTTP as a transport but our device does Layer 7 (application level) analysis and is often able to detect that and prioritize it accordingly.

Even looking at thirty days of network use, HTTP and P2P will always show up in the top of the most active protocols list because they're the most consistently used. P2P never slows down, despite the fact that some people think we have it blocked.

Well, P2P clients never sleep, do they? :-)

I'm still a bit surprised about http. I can imagine daytime, but I'd have thought that there were times when it would slow down. OTOH, video and audio can stream on port 80. And does AIM still drop back to port 80 when others are too sluggish? That would still not be much bandwidth though.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:30 AM

Quote:

default.pac is a symbolic link (basically in UNIX systems you can make pointers to other files). Presently it points to full.pac. This file tells your browser to use the proxy for all internet sites when on-campus and for Drew library sites when off-campus. If necessary, we can change the symlink to point to partial.pac at a moments notice. partial.pac does proxy for library stuff only and does nothing when on campus.

I set it up that way when I first installed the proxy because we didn't know how it would respond to all of the campus normal web traffic. We preconfigured Drew supplied browsers to use defaultpac. The idea was that if we had a problem with system load on the proxy server, we could switch everyone who hadn't change the default to the "partial" PAC file. Anyone who had explictly configured the proxy for full or partial would still get what they had asked for, however.

That being said, we've never had a load problem on that box, so I've never had to make that change.