uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2005, 03:34 AM
Thomas G. DiLemmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by David J. Wilson
Hi,
We've made some changes today, so could you please casually try a few of the programs and protocols that you've been having trouble with? Specifically the ones that have worked better in academic areas than in dorms. Thanks-
Hopefully testing goes well when we get back. I've said my piece so (crosses fingers).

Thank you for your help David and whoever helped you.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:07 AM
Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin M. Giza
Well, I started off in WoW at a healthy 52ms. This jumped to 354ms. Then 1700ms. Then 4200ms. Then 6363ms.

But I didn't get booted from the server! Hoo-ray!

In addition, PingPlotter read much less packet loss. If you'd like me to post the new charts, I will.

I'll give it another shot late-night, when there's ideally less usage.

After I made that initial post, we noticed that the changes were a bit less than ideal and were in fact making things a lot worse after a short while. I ended up having to go back in to the office around 10 - 11 pm and work on the packet shaper.

In the end I put it back into a similar configuration to how we had it earlier, but with some additional modifcations and adjustments which should hopefully make it work a little better all around. That is of course the hope anytime we make an adjustment to this device, it's just sometimes a bit unpredictable how it will turn out what with the chaotic nature of the internet and such. There are a great many ideas that seem wonderful until they are implemented.

So what I'm saying is, I know it must have been bumpy last night, with only http really working well. We didn't do that on purpose. We are actually trying to make things better, believe it or not, and spend a great deal of time on trying to get the most of the internet connection. Beyond that we are of course attempting to see about increasing our bandwidth in a couple of ways, but until that day arrives, we've got to work with what we have and we are not going to give up.

Justin, still drop by today and we'll test out whatever we can.

Even if not as many students were on campus last night and were potentially not as many users on the internet, we were mostly maxing out our connection the entire time I was at Drew- 90-95% in both directions. This is not actually typical believe it or not, so it would have been a good time to test latency in applications.

Dave
Old 11-22-2005, 11:50 AM
Justin M. Giza

I tried out WoW from 10:30pm to around 4am (hey, I didn't have any work to do, and no one was around). Worked great through and through.

I'll give you a call or something today then, if you'd like me to come in and test.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:55 AM
Noah C. Rosenfield

is WoW just not that bandwidth intensive? is that why you can have a decent session but i get meleed in the back by someone 3 screenlengths infront of me?
Old 11-22-2005, 02:23 PM
Justin M. Giza

I'm pretty sure that WoW, while not overly taxing, is at the least moderately intensive connection-wise. I'm not sure what I would use to actually check something like that, and if anyone has any suggestions, I'd happily look into it.

All I know is, before the changes in the networking, I was averaging 26000ms, and now I'm averaging 800ms midday (yesterday only, can't really test until more people are back), and 50ms from 10:30pm-4am.

Oddly enough, I've always had more issues using online console games on campus, when PC games would work fine. I dunno, maybe it was the timing once again. I haven't really used my PS2 modem in a while.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:52 PM
Drewid

In terms of some random file transfers
I was downloading IBM updates from my room (RDP from the helpdesk) and the transfers were going incredibly slow. I look over and another r40 was also downloading IBM updates. The speed of transfer was much faster, it downloaded a 235 meg file in the time it took me to download 10 megs of the file. I know that the connection from the Helpdesk goes through less jumps than a residential room, but would the number of jumps make such a difference?

"I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence."
Old 11-22-2005, 03:57 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

Yeah...the desk one was downloading much faster at the same time as the other one. It was hi-larious.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin P. Egan
In terms of some random file transfers
I was downloading IBM updates from my room (RDP from the helpdesk) and the transfers were going incredibly slow. I look over and another r40 was also downloading IBM updates. The speed of transfer was much faster, it downloaded a 235 meg file in the time it took me to download 10 megs of the file. I know that the connection from the Helpdesk goes through less jumps than a residential room, but would the number of jumps make such a difference?
Nope.. It has nothing to do with the on-campus connectivity. The on-campus connectivity has very low latency and very good throughput (100mbps to the desktop, 1gbps at the core). You can confirm this by comparing file transfers to on-campus servers from your room vs. the desk.

The issue is how the traffic shaping device (which is between the campus network and our Internet firewall) is partitioning the bandwidth. The device divides the on-campus traffic into different "pipes" based upon the source IP address. For whatever reason, even though the priorities for the different services are the same in the different pipes and there isn't a specific bandwidth allotment for the pipes, the device seems to be dividing its resources between the pipes in a manner that is not proportional to the amount of bandwidth being used by each pipe.

An attempt yesterday to have the device classify the entire campus as one "pipe" in an attempt to equalize things failed, so the configuration had to be reverted (with a few adjustments). This is the issue that Dave is working on.

Best advice for the moment is to configure your HTTP traffic to go through the proxy server. Mozilla should be set up that way by default, and you can set that up in IE as well. Traffic from the proxy server to the internet will be part of the “servers” pipe and that seems to work much better. If the IBM update app doesn't have a specific dialog to plug proxy information into, I'd bet it is probably using the IE settings, so setting up IE to use the proxy should make it do so as well.

Last edited by E. Axel Larsson : 11-22-2005 at 11:24 PM.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:18 AM
Noah C. Rosenfield

i went home and played halo 2 for the first time in months with a good connection and it was a great feeling to be able to kick ass like in the old days. then i thought about going back to the lag of drew and cried. please get this problem rectified and save my spirit before it withers into a dry tumbleweed blowing across the vast expanse of cyberspace.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:54 AM
Noah C. Rosenfield

the time is currently 11:42 on Sunday night and i am enjoying lag free gaming at Drew.... this is a first. whatever you changed, if anything, it worked. maybe it's just because no one is back yet, but if you DID change something, it is AWESOME