Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Technology Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2007, 03:19 PM
Matthew D. Ogonowski

Default windows vista

i was wondering...are we getting windows vista at any point in our drew lives? i know it comes out in two weeks but i was wondering if we are ever going to get it? it would be fuckin rad. i was lookin at the site before and it is definitely a techno geeks dream lol.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:29 PM

Default The short answer

Probably.

When? Well, it's gonna be a while. We don't know if it will be on the student laptops this fall for instance. Why, you ask? Software. There's a lot of academic, administrative, and other software that needs to work with Vista before we can go with it (SPSS, Mathcad, GroupWise, etc.) and we're not going to do it until the vendors say it's certified and we do our own testing. This may or may not happen in time for us to include in the image. Right now what we've been hearing means we might just make it, but if anything slips back then it probably won't. We also have to worry about things like device drivers and ThinkPad utilities, which right now don't all exist for Vista.

Then there's the issue of the other laptops. The T/R60s should be able to handle Vista fine (but probably won't be able to run full Aero, and might be a bit pokey with 1GB of RAM, but acceptable to most students). The older computers would probably not run Vista well if at all. If the computer can run Vista we'll probably have an updated image that we develop when we develop it for the fall 2007 laptops, and make that the image we reimage to when people need it.

Then there's the issue of which Vista. We'll be licensed for Vista Enterprise, which doesn't have some of the media features of Vista Ultimate. We need Enterprise to integrate fully with the campus network (and that's a Microsoft limitation, having nothing to do with our use of Novell stuff.) I'm hoping all of this gets figured out in the next few months as more people start playing with Vista, but it's hard to say what will be possible with what at this point.

So, if you want to run Vista on your own laptop, have a great time, really. We're not going to be able to help you right away, and some things aren't going to work (not just Drew stuff but other software you might have.) I've personally played with it a little bit and it does look great, and seems superficially easier to use, but it was like having a really fast car that could only go around in circles, since applications are still hard to come by and I wasn't able to test any enterprise integration since our infrastructure isn't set up for it yet.

If I were a betting man, I wouldn't expect widespread Vista adoption at Drew or any other big place until 2008.

Last edited by Mike Richichi : 01-15-2007 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Junior Drewid

Matto,

Have you seen Pogue's review?

Get the original.