Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students > Current CLA students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2006, 06:09 PM
Jacqueline DiLorenzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary C. Kanfer
The specs of the computers can be seen here. You're getting Windows XP Professional, Microsoft Office (including most, if not all of the extras you don't get basic Office), and various smaller stuff, like the business-level email client, cd burning software, etc.

And I just went to the lenovo site, and quickly customized a computer. Even without getting all the specs the same (the CPU was still slower), it cost over $2400. And that didn't include all the support you get from CNS.

How about Photoshop? Haha.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:27 PM
Drewid

Photoshop is available in the computer labs down at CNS, but I think they still CS (Ver 8).

"I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence."
Old 08-02-2006, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin P. Egan
Photoshop is available in the computer labs down at CNS, but I think they still CS (Ver 8).

It will be the newest version when we upgrade the lab later this summer.

If we were able to make Photoshop Elements available to students, would people find that useful?
Old 08-02-2006, 08:38 PM
Gary A. Hochman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Glickman
I don't know about you guys, but this is just crazy. It's not like college costs an obscene amount of money, and we're required to get their computer at hmm... at least $800 more than other computers on the market, but paying for printing? I had always thought we didn't have to. I was planning on saving my papers to a disk and printing them out at the library or computer lab. Now I have to buy a printer and ink?

I've been talking to my friends about everything you have to pay for at college, including laundry, and the ridiculous amount of money books cost, and such. Colleges are seeming REALLY greedy to me.

Just to be able to afford tuition is hard enough. Honestly, you have to be either really poor and get financial aid (or cheat on your taxes), or you have to be really rich and have money pouring out of your pockets.

And where do average middle to upper middle class Americans fit? No where.

Maybe when I get to Drew I'll amp up my school government political interest, get involved, and change this. Because it's starting to make me angry even before I get to college.

Sorry for the vent session, I'll end now before I write a novel.

I was actually on the computer committee when the change was made to stop providing printers. For me there were a couple reasons why I thought it made sense. The printers that were being given out really were not made to survive life in the res halls. Even by the end of my first year, quite a few of my friends had printers that were no longer working. Plus with printers you have a bunch of different options. Some people just want a simple inkjet, some want an all-in-one, and some want laser (while the same "different tastes" argument can be made with computers as well, Drew has a reason to standardize computers, but standardizing printers doesnít provide much benefit). So in my mind, providing printers was wasting people's money by giving out printers that may not meet their needs and tended to be decently fragile.

On the issue of free printing in the library, the problem was that too many people took advantage of it. People would print huge files that they only needed a page of because there was no cost to them. There was just too much waste going on and it was really hurting the library budget.

As for the computers themselves, as has already been mentioned, you really are getting a very good deal (I can't stress the value of the accidental damage protection enough).

Finally, this past year I got pretty well versed in the university budget from serving on the expenditure and allocation committee. I know the price tag seems really high, but Drew isnít being greedy....a university just happens to be pretty expensive to run (think about how much the university has to pay in energy bills with the way pricing is these days). Also, a large portion of the tuition cost goes right back out the door as financial aid.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:20 PM
Jacqueline DiLorenzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richichi
It will be the newest version when we upgrade the lab later this summer.

If we were able to make Photoshop Elements available to students, would people find that useful?

Definitely! At least I would...

But considering how many people have digital cameras now, I think it would be useful, at least for resizing and recoloring, adjusting color balance, etc. How is Elements different from the regular version?
Old 08-02-2006, 10:38 PM
Dia O'Neil

mmmm photoshop. i have 7.0 and like it better than the CS2 i use at work. i never liked the additions they made in CS really. god i could NOT live without that program. i'm finding it hard enought to live without flash. ahh well.

as for elements, if you're used to the full photoshop package, you will find it HIGHLY disappointing. but if you just want it to resize and tweak pictures, yeah sure, have at it.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:53 PM
Jacqueline DiLorenzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dia O'Neil
mmmm photoshop. i have 7.0

Oh yeah? Did you pay for it?
Old 08-02-2006, 11:09 PM
Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dia O'Neil
mmmm photoshop. i have 7.0 and like it better than the CS2 i use at work. i never liked the additions they made in CS really. god i could NOT live without that program. i'm finding it hard enought to live without flash. ahh well.

as for elements, if you're used to the full photoshop package, you will find it HIGHLY disappointing. but if you just want it to resize and tweak pictures, yeah sure, have at it.
I loved 7, and still hold on to an installer file in case I need to go back to it. But I do like some of the improvements made to filters and the preview functions before applying them.

"I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence."
Old 08-02-2006, 11:30 PM
Jennifer Stapelfeld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Glickman
I don't know about you guys, but this is just crazy. It's not like college costs an obscene amount of money, and we're required to get their computer...

Ughh, I know what you mean Jess. I bought a brand new Dell laptop last year as a freshman. It works perfectly and my parents bought me a really good one. Now, I'm transferring to drew for my sophomore year and they want me to buy their computer. I filled out the computer exeption form, but it was denied. That's ridiculous. I can understand what a hassle it is for freshmen, but for transfer students its just unbelievable. I bought my computer based on my old school's recommendation, and though I know it may not totally mesh with the drew system, I'm sure it will work FINE. And if it doesn't, I'll be the one to suffer.

I'm not spending tons of money on ANOTHER computer when I already have one that works perfectly.

grrrr. I will not give in!!!
Old 08-03-2006, 01:24 AM
Junior Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richichi
BTW, a new MacBook of similar specs costs as much or more than the Drew laptop (depending on model), has a smaller, lower resolution screen, and doesn't come with any sort of accidental damage protection.

It does have that OS X going for it though.

A bunch of us actually have Macs at Drew, so don't feel left out, if that's your preferred platform.

John Muccigrosso
Chair, Department of Classics