Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Technology Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2008, 03:09 PM
Squirrel

Default Internet at home

When I'm at home and logged on to my computer I gain access to the internet through a Local 2 connection. That connection regularly drops for hours at a time. I have questions. Why does this connection seem to override my internet service and router? Is this some kind of program that IT installed on the computer? If I must use it then I'd like it to be reliable. Is that a possibility?
Old 12-15-2008, 06:36 PM
Squirrel

Default Home Internet connection

We have nothing to do with your home Internet connection. If the connection drops regularly, you should speak to your Internet provider. You are free to select any Internet provider of your choice.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:07 PM
Squirrel

You are quite right. I am still needing more reliable internet service but this time it is my home provider that's the problem.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:20 PM
Squirrel

I'm now out of state and found that despite connecting to the network I could not open any servers, by that I mean I could not open any drew web sites or my usual yahoo. It took days of experimentation - I am not computer savvy as anyone might have guessed - before I understood the role of access connections on my computer in facilitating full connections.

I wish someone in IT had moved beyond deflecting blame to constructive engagement with helpful suggestions.

It was not just my home provider that was a problem. There were settings I could change on my laptop that would have brought relief to the problem and forestalled later ones. That kind of helpful conversation I didn't have and desperately needed.

Can you be encouraged to have more probing conversations, even with irascible old codgers like myself, rather than simply telling me that it was not your fault. You may not have had anything to do with my home connection but you could tell me something about my laptop settings - couldn't you?
Old 12-30-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Althea D. Spencer-Miller
I'm now out of state and found that despite connecting to the network I could not open any servers, by that I mean I could not open any drew web sites or my usual yahoo. It took days of experimentation - I am not computer savvy as anyone might have guessed - before I understood the role of access connections on my computer in facilitating full connections.

I wish someone in IT had moved beyond deflecting blame to constructive engagement with helpful suggestions.

It was not just my home provider that was a problem. There were settings I could change on my laptop that would have brought relief to the problem and forestalled later ones. That kind of helpful conversation I didn't have and desperately needed.

Can you be encouraged to have more probing conversations, even with irascible old codgers like myself, rather than simply telling me that it was not your fault. You may not have had anything to do with my home connection but you could tell me something about my laptop settings - couldn't you?
Good afternoon.

This is not an official forum for support. The CNS Helpdesk can be reached when the University is open at 973-408-3205 or via email to helpdesk@drew.edu. The Helpdesk and other administrative offices will re-open on January 5.

Your original message did not indicate that your Internet connection was not working at all, but said that the connection was unreliable. An unreliable connection points to a problem with your home ISP. Your follow-up seemed to indicate that you had reached that conclusion as well.

If you are unable to connect at all, that leads to a different set of conclusions, which might include looking at settings within Access Connections.

Last edited by E. Axel Larsson : 12-30-2008 at 02:50 PM.