Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students > Current CLA students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2005, 05:51 PM
Marla B. Rosenfeld

Cool Language/Placement Testing

Hey all, just wondering if anyone knows if we have to take a placement test for a language we would like to take, even if we aren't taking it this semester. Is there a placement test for Hebrew or Chinese?

On a separate note, does getting into Chem 6A vs. Chem 6 do anything special for one trying to get into med school--to they really look at an advanced class vs. a regular class from freshman year???

Any info would be helpful!!
Old 08-07-2005, 08:22 PM
Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marla B. Rosenfeld
Hey all, just wondering if anyone knows if we have to take a placement test for a language we would like to take, even if we aren't taking it this semester. Is there a placement test for Hebrew or Chinese?

On a separate note, does getting into Chem 6A vs. Chem 6 do anything special for one trying to get into med school--to they really look at an advanced class vs. a regular class from freshman year???

Any info would be helpful!!
I dunno, but if you like a teacher who really likes chem, take 6a. You'll get Alan Rosan, and he has an unhealthy obcession w/ chem. In orgo, he'll read from a german guys diary, then ask if any of us know german, only to show the thought process of the guy who figured out the structure of benzene.

"I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence."
Old 08-07-2005, 09:44 PM
Benjamin R. Shedlock

Default too obvious?

I mean, this is gonna sound stupid, but, if we're taking a completely new language, arabic in my case, we don't have to go through any placement, right? And do we have to take a test for the/a language(s) we've been taking in high school just to do a test?

thanks

cheers
Old 08-08-2005, 01:22 AM
Christopher J. Carpenter

Here's what I'm wondering...

I took German in high school my freshman and sophomore year- but quit after that because my school's german instructors were absolutely awful and the class was ruining my GPA.

Even in middle school I had bad german teachers so obviously I most likely haven't learned what normal high school german students should have learned. Thus I'll tell you right now that taking a placement test will be a laughable task for this german student as my score will most undoubtedly be unspeakably low.

Can I just skip that painful exam which will only show how little I retained and simply enter the german I course???

This is provided I can change my schedule. my parents made me sign up for Basic German III I think and tell you the truth- I'm extremely scared!
Old 08-08-2005, 02:13 AM
Zachary C. Kanfer

You can definately change your schedule. And I'd say, take the test anyway. It's pretty short. You might be pleasantly surprised, but at least you'll have something to tell your parents when they ask why you took german I.

and you'll be in the right class, too. that's always a bonus.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Christopher J. Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary C. Kanfer
You can definately change your schedule. And I'd say, take the test anyway. It's pretty short. You might be pleasantly surprised, but at least you'll have something to tell your parents when they ask why you took german I.

and you'll be in the right class, too. that's always a bonus.
Wow, I never even considered the consequences of what my <i>Parents</i> would say upon noticing the German I thing. Hrm... Well I still maintain that they would rather me be enrolled in a class where I can be somewhat challenged and perform well then a class where I'm overly challenged and perform poorly. (Trust me, I do NOT need a high school german repeat.) Thanks for the advice Zachary.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:31 PM
Saman Asheer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin R. Shedlock
I mean, this is gonna sound stupid, but, if we're taking a completely new language, arabic in my case, we don't have to go through any placement, right? And do we have to take a test for the/a language(s) we've been taking in high school just to do a test?

thanks

cheers

Yeah, no placement if it's completely new, you just register for the intro course. (I'm in it!) And no, you don't have to take an exam for a language that you won't be taking in college, even if you took it in highschool. The placement exam is just to see what section (intro or advanced) you get in to.

p.s. I'm not really an authority or anything, but I just felt like replying to your message since no one had AND because I saw you were taking Arabic and I was excited because I'm taking it too, and I don't know a whole lot of people who are!
Old 08-08-2005, 11:00 PM
Meghan E. Anderson

Because taking Arabic is the cool thing to do, right Ben?
I'm excited for it but very very scared. Can we start a support group?
I'd appreciate it haha.

With love, hope, and anticipation,
Meghan E. Anderson
Drew '09
Old 08-09-2005, 01:42 PM
Benjamin R. Shedlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan E. Anderson
Because taking Arabic is the cool thing to do, right Ben?
I'm excited for it but very very scared. Can we start a support group?
I'd appreciate it haha.

With love, hope, and anticipation,
Meghan E. Anderson
Drew '09
Yes, Meghan, It is! Definitely start a support group- I'm in. Maybe we could go commisserate at TOE-- the only café I've ever seen named after one of the most disgusting parts of the body!!! Go us!
Old 08-09-2005, 01:40 PM
Benjamin R. Shedlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saman Asheer
Yeah, no placement if it's completely new, you just register for the intro course. (I'm in it!) And no, you don't have to take an exam for a language that you won't be taking in college, even if you took it in highschool. The placement exam is just to see what section (intro or advanced) you get in to.

p.s. I'm not really an authority or anything, but I just felt like replying to your message since no one had AND because I saw you were taking Arabic and I was excited because I'm taking it too, and I don't know a whole lot of people who are!
Alright!! More arabic people!! I've been looking for all of you!! And thanks for responding to my message. Great, can't wait, it should be hellagood!
(I've always wanted to say that!)
Cheers,
Benjamin