Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Technology Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2010, 01:38 PM
Ranger Cub

Default Android IMAP Email problem

I'm having an issue with my Nexus One and the native Android IMAP client. Email coming in from the gwimap.drew.edu server will every once in a while come in dated as if from 12/31/1969. It doesn't seem to do this on my roommate's iPhone, nor does the issue appear in the official Groupwise client. Does anyone else with an Android powered device have this issue? It wasn't a problem on my HTC Hero (UK) running Android 1.x or 2.0.x, only on the Nexus One running 2.1.x.

Anyone else with an Android powered device having this issue should post here, so we can figure out a solution, or at the very least, what the problem is.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:11 PM

Default We just checked it against a Motorolla Droid

That one of us has - the problem does seem to be related to the Drew email lists on his phone, not email generated internal to GroupWise or by other systems (Moodle). At first glance, I can see one potential problem in the Date field on those campuswide email lists that we may be able to do something about.

Not sure that's the problem, but it was the first thing that jumped out at us.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Ranger Cub

The problem is with one of the fields being blank (or zero, whichever you guys use). Apparently time stamps are in seconds from the date 12/31/1969 or 1/1/1970 (the former seems to be our case). If it's zero, it's zero seconds since that date, thereby giving us said date. Apparently, a blank field defaults to zero. If Groupwise can be configured server-side to put a correct date in this field, that should solve the problem.

Did a little digging around on the internet and it appears that there's no client-side fix for this right now, except perhaps to get a new client.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:35 AM

Actually, GroupWise is putting a date in all messages - I've looked at what the GroupWise IMAP server passes out the messages. The messages that come from the Drew mailing lists have a Date: field, but the Date field is missing a timezone offset. That might be enough to do it. That's not a groupwise issue, that's the way that the (non-GroupWise) mailing list server is stamping them and we may be able to fix that.

GroupWise does NOT put a "Received" field in internal GroupWise email - messages sent from one individual user via GroupWise to another. That doesn't cause problems on a Motorola Droid. If the Nexus One is relying on "Received" to find a timestamp and ignoring "Date", there's nothing we can do about that. That's not standards compliant, AFAIK, so I would expect Google to fix it.

If timestamping the mailing list messages isn't the problem with the Nexus One, you'll probably have to wait for Google to fix it. There's really no way for us to change the GroupWise behavior to work around it, and it seems to work fine with every other IMAP client we've seen.