Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students > Current CLA students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2006, 12:49 PM
Squirrel

Post classes

have you guys registered for classes yet? here's what i picked (hopefully i'll get all of them):
  • Biology 7. Ecology and Evolution(001)
  • Biology 7L. Ecology and Evolution Lab(002)
  • Spanish 20. Fundamentals of Written and Oral Spanish(002)
  • Freshman Seminar 20. On Being Human: A Convergence of Psychological Perspectives
  • Chemistry 6. Principles of Chemistry 1(001)
  • Chemistry 6L. Principles of Chemistry I Lab(005)
  • Psychology 107. Theories of Personality(001)
Old 06-21-2006, 12:58 PM
Ranger Cub

I haven't gotten registration info yet, but the Theory of Personalities sounds interesting. I studied different theories of personality for the past two years in my psych class and found it really interesting. You'll hopefully enjoy it!

Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws. ~ Douglas Adams

If someone wants a sheep, then that means that he exists. ~ Antoine de St. Exupery
Old 06-21-2006, 04:35 PM
Elder Drewid

Ummmmmm that seems like a LOT of classes.

A lot of the labs that the science dept offers are very reading heavy, not to mention work heavy, and while I admire your enthusiasm, I strongly suggest that you consider dropping one of your classes.

Keep in mind that you're going to be a freshman. As a freshman, you will be busy trying to make friends, join clubs and activities, and just have a life in general.

Just something to think about....
Old 06-22-2006, 08:05 AM
Gary A. Hochman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Glickman
have you guys registered for classes yet? here's what i picked (hopefully i'll get all of them):
  • Biology 7. Ecology and Evolution(001)
  • Biology 7L. Ecology and Evolution Lab(002)
  • Spanish 20. Fundamentals of Written and Oral Spanish(002)
  • Freshman Seminar 20. On Being Human: A Convergence of Psychological Perspectives
  • Chemistry 6. Principles of Chemistry 1(001)
  • Chemistry 6L. Principles of Chemistry I Lab(005)
  • Psychology 107. Theories of Personality(001)

Upper level courses (3 digit course numbers) typically have prerequisites. In this case, Psych 107 requires "PSYC 3, second year or higher standing" (http://www.drew.edu/catalog/cla/cour...107&group=PSYC). Sometimes you can get a professor to waive them, but in this case I wouldn't imagine a professor would waive a class standing requirement for a 1st semester student. Especially given the fact that you have 4 other courses, and two of them have labs, it probably wouldn't be the best idea to also take an upper level course even if they let you. Bio to Chem to Spanish 3 days a week, and then your seminar in the morning and a multi hour lab in the afternoon on the other two days will probably keep you plenty busy for your first semester.

In general, while you don't want to slack off, you don't want to go for a schedule that is too agressive your first semester. It is probably a good idea to go for 4 courses (especially if there are labs involved) and then if you feel like you can handle more, you can always go for 5 in later semesters.

You also want to leave time for things outside of class. At the end of last year I was running a job search for my boss at my internship (wealth manager). Even if a candidate had a high GPA, if there were no outside activities on their resume, they went into the "no" pile.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:35 AM
Young Squirrel

Default Registration Information

All of the information that is sent to first year students is on the Drew website. It is also possible to register online. The address is http://depts.drew.edu/regist/cla/firstyear/reginfo2.php
Old 06-22-2006, 12:18 PM
Gary A. Hochman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Glickman

Thanks for the advice. I took AP Psychology and recieved a 5 which is equivalent to PSYC 3, so I believe that satisfies the prerequisite. I guess my workload really depends on how much work I recieve for my FYS because I have that and the psych class on Tuesday and Thursday, and my day is finished before 12, which to me means I basically have the day off to do work for all my classes. And my day ends at 2 on Monday Wednesday and Friday. When are club meetings usually held? I plan on joining the lit mag (insanity's horse) as I was Editor in chief of my lit mag in high school, as well as a couple volunteer organizations and maybe some academic clubs. I guess you can tell I'm very driven and motivated and I want to be able to take less classes in the spring. I'll see what Drew says during orientation when we go over our schedules. Thanks again.

5 on the AP exam counts as PSYC 3, but the other prerequisite is second year or higher standing, which I believe you would need to have 26 credits for (as a side note, at Drew there are two types of class standing: one based on the number of credits you have and is used when registering for classes, and one based on when you enter Drew which is used for things like housing picks and car registration. So for example, if you come in with a lot of AP credits, you may be able to register for your Fall '07 courses with the class ahead of you, but you would still get assigned a first year housing pick number). If you check out the link Jose posted, section 1a says:

"a. Only lower-level courses (those numbered below 10) and intermediate-level courses (those numbered 10 through 99) with no prerequisites are normally open to first-year students. Unless you have qualified for upper-level work in a foreign language, registration for an upper-level course (one numbered 100 or above) must have the approval of the instructor."

Also keep in mind that even if you can manage a normal homework load from all the classes, a lot of time the problem comes in when you have papers or exams thrown into the mix.

It can definitely be a good thing get classes out of the way early on; my second semester senior year (which was this past semester...I graduated in May) I took two classes, only one of which I actually needed to graduate. However, I'd still recommend only taking 4 classes your first semester so you can get a feel for the new environment. If you find that you are not having any problems, it is easy to step up your course load in subsequent semesters. On the other hand, stretching yourself too thin can drag down your performance in all your classes and really do a number on your GPA. Even people used to taking AP level classes sometimes find they need to completely change their study habits when they come to college.

I'd also say there is no standard time for when clubs hold meetings. It can vary greatly depending on the individual club.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:29 PM
Sun Hee Jung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary A. Hochman
5 on the AP exam counts as PSYC 3, but the other prerequisite is second year or higher standing, which I believe you would need to have 26 credits for (as a side note, at Drew there are two types of class standing: one based on the number of credits you have and is used when registering for classes, and one based on when you enter Drew which is used for things like housing picks and car registration. So for example, if you come in with a lot of AP credits, you may be able to register for your Fall '07 courses with the class ahead of you, but you would still get assigned a first year housing pick number). If you check out the link Jose posted, section 1a says:

"a. Only lower-level courses (those numbered below 10) and intermediate-level courses (those numbered 10 through 99) with no prerequisites are normally open to first-year students. Unless you have qualified for upper-level work in a foreign language, registration for an upper-level course (one numbered 100 or above) must have the approval of the instructor."

Also keep in mind that even if you can manage a normal homework load from all the classes, a lot of time the problem comes in when you have papers or exams thrown into the mix.

It can definitely be a good thing get classes out of the way early on; my second semester senior year (which was this past semester...I graduated in May) I took two classes, only one of which I actually needed to graduate. However, I'd still recommend only taking 4 classes your first semester so you can get a feel for the new environment. If you find that you are not having any problems, it is easy to step up your course load in subsequent semesters. On the other hand, stretching yourself too thin can drag down your performance in all your classes and really do a number on your GPA. Even people used to taking AP level classes sometimes find they need to completely change their study habits when they come to college.

I'd also say there is no standard time for when clubs hold meetings. It can vary greatly depending on the individual club.

wow, i took 5 courses and i didn't even like two of them. There was only one chem6 class, and due to this, i couldn't take economy nor math. would i be able to drop one of them during the orientation? (we probably can, but i'm just making sure =))
Old 06-22-2006, 12:42 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

You do a fair amount of work in the FYS, especially if you do all the readings. I can't speak for all of them, but mine (How Democratic is America taught by Joe Romance, a poly sci professor) involved a lot of reading. Like "here's a book. read it for next tuesday." We also had to write three five-page papers during the semester.

To me, it seemed as intense as a regular course, but with a more specialized topic, almost like an upper level course would be. YMMV.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:05 PM
Heather Greco

Default Did I make a good decision

Everyone was talking about being a freshman and work overload, so I would like to know if I over did it.

Anth 16 MWF 10:00-10:50
Hist 15 MW 11:00-12:15
Spanish 1 MW 2:30- 3:30
FYS TTH 9:00-10:15
Sociology 1 TH 7:00-9:30

There are no labs and the classes can be taken by all freshman. So am I ok?
Old 06-25-2006, 05:52 PM
Emily Smykla

As a first semester freshman, I took 16 credits. This is basically the standard (as someone previously noted, 128 credits over 8 semesters averages 16 credits per semester). Of course, Drew does allow you to take as few as 12 or as many as 20 per semester, as long as you have the 128 in the end. It's really not that difficult to graduate, so don't worry about taking a lot of 20-credit semesters. I've never done it, though I have taken 18, and even 18 was a LOT of work. Add in student activities and/or a part-time job (I work as a tutor about 4 hours a week) and you are going to be constantly busy. I was an AP student in high school so I know it is tempting to schedule in as many classes as possible and put yourself on the overachiever path....I don't really recommend it. What I would say is, if you want to pre-register for 20 credits, that's fine, but DEFINITELY talk about it with your advisor. He or she will probably tell you to stick with 16 for your first semester...I've noticed that a lot of advisors will discourage taking 20 even after freshman year, because it's not necessary in most cases and it's a lot lot lot of stress and work.

Maybe I've just had bad luck, but almost all the classes I've had at Drew have involved major reading and writing (draining a lot of time outside of class), including my freshman seminar (10 page research paper, 2 pagers each week, film viewings, etc). So, sign up for 20 and drop 1 during advising is my word of advice. Feel free to IM me at sparkler911 if you want to talk more. I am a double major too, so I understand your worries.