Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2005, 07:19 PM
Caitlin R. Guza

Default Film Major/Minor

I'm currently a theatre student, but I would love it if Drew had a film program too! I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate having the opportunity to take film classes, even if they aren't interested in it as a career choice. GREAT IDEA!!!
Old 10-30-2005, 07:43 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

Wow...someone got together a bunch of people and had them post.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:22 PM
Eric J. Zuarino

I would love to see film making courses at drew come alive. i have been looking up film making courses at other schools, too, but i dont know if drew would ever accept their credits.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:20 AM
Megan E. Hassenger

Film at Drew would draw in so many more applicants for the University. This campus already has such a great theatre program, but to add a film program, even if it's just a club to start with, would be even better.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:39 AM
Ryan J. Crowley

As a senior, that's one thing I was saddened about was they didn't have such a major or minor here.

If all of you are really that interested then get a petition started and write up a proposal; if enough students and faculty show interest in something of that nature for the deans to consider it economically worth it, then Drew could well have a film major in the future. And that is something to tell grad schools: "Dammit, I started a major."

(Random note: this is post 100 for me! Yay!)

So good luck!
Old 10-31-2005, 10:16 AM
Danna L. Gutman

for the above poster - there are actually more film classes at Drew if you look into the other departments. generally about film across cultures. for example next semester there is a class in Russian film offered by the Russian department - you might want to look into that.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:39 PM
Daniel I. Sorenson

I think a film major, or atleast a film minor would be great for Drew U. I think that it would be great for the university and as some have mentioned, it would increase application rates and hopefully start to get this expensive university known!
Old 10-31-2005, 10:37 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

I think President Weisbuch's plan will do more for the University than a film major would.

Last edited by Zachary C. Kanfer : 11-01-2005 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:59 PM
Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary C. Kanfer
I think President Weisbauch's plan will do more for the University than a film major would.
I think it will certainly get the school known more than a film major would.
A film major would just be another major offered, it would not make the school stand out in any particular way. Someone seriously interested in film enough to go to school for 4 years to study it would go to a school which is more well known for its artistic major programs. In order to have a proper film major, there are many factors which will need to be added because they're not currently in place. Thousands of dollars of equipment, at least 5 more professors so that the major can have a variety of courses offered to students, and new computer lab with better multimedia machines designed specifically of that purpose. With new machines and software, you need people to be able to support the machines and software.

With a school already facing financial difficulties, it would take a large amount of students demanding the major in order to make it happen any time soon.

"I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence."
Old 10-31-2005, 11:20 PM
Richard C. Villa

To Zach's last post...

First of all your pessimistic comments are not needed. They are very discouraging and immature. I understand that you may see things realistically but your comments are not helping any.

It is obvious that there are many Drew students who would like to learn more about film making than you think. Adding a film making major to the university will take alot of work, but it would most likely pay off for our education as well as others in the future. Adding a film major to Drew would definitly increase the number of applicants being that there are not enough schools around here that offer film making for a major. After all , this is a liberal arts college isn't it? If this is something that you do not care about, than why are you wasting your time making these negative posts. I also doubt what you have to say about this school having financial difficulties with the amount of money our tuition costs. Your comments are simply not helpful to the situation. If you would like to offer helpful suggestions that would be nice.

Last edited by Richard C. Villa : 10-31-2005 at 11:23 PM.