Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-01-2005, 12:28 AM
Kelley A. Blessing
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I am a threatre fanatic and am considering theatre as a possible major. However, my other favorite performing arts genre is film and I would really love to see a lot more courses offered here at Drew in film. Being able to take film as a possible major or minor would definately be a huge advantage, especially in such a liberal arts and theatre focused school. I know that personally, I would love to take courses in film and would even consider it as a minor or potential major.
I would definately join a film club but would certainly love to see film offered as a major/minor!
~Kelley Blessing
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-01-2005, 12:39 AM
Katharine G. Chambers
 
Posts: n/a
Default Let's get a film major!

I would love to have a film program at Drew! I agree that it would be a wonderful addition to the school; a new program can only improve the university, not harm it. The recent abolition of the SAT requirement has reinforced the idea that Drew is a true liberal arts college and film is an extremely important art form in our modern culture! I understand that there might be funding issues involved, but perhaps we could at least start by doing a joint film program with FDU (which already has the proper equipment).

A film program would be an excellent addition to an already strong university and would help to draw even more interesting and diverse applicants.

If you are interested in a film major, want to take a few film classes, or simply want to support those want the program, PLEASE keep posting and get involved in the fight for the film program!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-01-2005, 01:19 AM
Laura I. Cloak
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I definitely agree that film would be a great addition to Drew's current art programs, obviously there are a lot of people that would be interested in it, myself included. With such good theatre and art departments, it only makes sense to have film too! Even if it couldn't start out as a major right away, it definitely seems like there is enough interest and support to get something started.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-01-2005, 01:20 AM
Miranda E. Leiggi
 
Posts: n/a
Default

i agree with katie. even if we can't get our own film program here yet, a joint one with FDU would be a good idea. it would also help to generate interest with the applicants to see that we have a film major. then with more interest, the major could be built up
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-01-2005, 02:39 AM
Zachary C. Kanfer
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C. Villa
First of all your pessimistic comments are not needed. They are very discouraging and immature. I understand that you may see things realistically but your comments are not helping any.

I hadn't known that being realistic is immature.


Quote:
It is obvious that there are many Drew students who would like to learn more about film making than you think.

I'd like to learn more about rock climbing, and I bet there are more that would want to, but I'm not going to do anything about it.


Quote:
Adding a film making major to the university will take alot of work, but it would most likely pay off for our education as well as others in the future.

I don't think a film major would be bad for the college. However, I have more to say about this later.


Quote:
Adding a film major to Drew would definitly increase the number of applicants being that there are not enough schools around here that offer film making for a major.

All these are colleges just in New Jersey that have either a communications major that has a concentration in film/broadcasting studies, or something similar. Nevermind other states. This isn't exhaustive, just what I could find quickly:
Quote:
After all , this is a liberal arts college isn't it? If this is something that you do not care about, than why are you wasting your time making these negative posts.

Isn't your post a negative post? I do care about this University, but I think it's dumb for this topic to be approached in this way. Also, postCount++.


Quote:
I also doubt what you have to say about this school having financial difficulties with the amount of money our tuition costs.

First, this wasn't my post. Secondly this major would add a lot of financial stress on the University. Proper equipment, professors, and studios would be needed. That doesn't come cheap.


Quote:
Your comments are simply not helpful to the situation. If you would like to offer helpful suggestions that would be nice.

I don't see how many posts have been helpful, either. No one has offered to see President Weisbuch about this, or do anything, in fact. It seems as though someone has gotten a group together to post, without offering any solutions. I sincerely doubt that any major or minor will be added because of community.drew.edu, but if someone actually had a plan, instead of just complaining, that might get something done. It seems to me to be slactivism, and that doesn't really get anything done.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-01-2005, 03:31 AM
Kevin P. Egan's Avatar
Kevin P. Egan Kevin P. Egan is offline
Drewid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C. Villa
To Zach's last post...

I am going to assume that the entire post is directed to my comment as Zachs really are not pessimistic in any way. He does not put down the film major, he simply offers his view that President Weisbauchs plan might be better. It just seemed like the majority of your response was in fact in reference to my comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C. Villa
First of all your pessimistic comments are not needed. They are very discouraging and immature. I understand that you may see things realistically but your comments are not helping any.
If an opinion is realistic in nature and related to the subject at hand, is it really 1. not helping or 2. not needed? I do not see my comment has being especially immature, I meant to express my opinion that developing a new major can be difficult, expensive, and for it to happen, there needs to be a large demand. If I failed in my endeavor, I am sorry, but I do not see immaturity in expressing an opposing opinion. If my comments were discouraging, then it should inspire you to develop a stronger argument for your viewpoint. And finally, since my comments were realistic (as you admitted), then I must object to your opinion that they were not helping any. I personally feel that having additional and contrasting viewpoints to your own is not a hindrance, they in fact help by revealing difficulties which may lay ahead or weaknesses in the argument. Having more opinions which are realistically grounded is ideal instead of relying on a single opinion and discounting all others as immature and unhelpful.
__________________
I have been touched by his noodly appendage.
Be Touched

"I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence."
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-01-2005, 09:58 AM
Mark A. Tauriello
 
Posts: n/a
Default

To Zach....

You are being immature. For example one of your posts said " Wow...Someone got a bunch of people together and posted". Please explain to me how that isn't immature.
Like someone stated, you obviously are not interested in supporting the Drew students that are trying to get a film major here at Drew. So why are you even bothering even posting. Like you said earlier, if you REALLY want to learn about rock climbing, and you are PASSIONATE about it, then why don't you try to do something about it then.
Also you say that no one has said anything to help. That may be, but at least they are supporting a film major/ minor. With support as well as the large amount of us students who want a film major, it is possible that it may happen. You do nothing but leave comments that don't help to the situation. I don't want to have an arguement back and forth in this forum. All I am saying is that you obviously don't take an interest in this topic, and it seems that you are doing nothing but discouraging this.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-01-2005, 02:53 PM
Gary A. Hochman
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C. Villa
I also doubt what you have to say about this school having financial difficulties with the amount of money our tuition costs.

Without commenting on whether or not there should be a film major, I just wanted to say that Kevin isn’t really off base with his comment about expenses. A lot of students seem to go around with the attitude that “I pay $40,000 so I should get ….” and think that the school has a bunch of money floating around just waiting to be spent. First off, Drew’s tuition is not $40,000. The sticker price for 2005/2006 is $31,671. Now you can get to 40k if you throw in room and board ($8,412), but you can’t really consider that money that can be spent on academic programming. Further, the average student does not pay $31,671. The average Drew student is only paying somewhere around 65% of tuition and fees. The fact of the matter is that running a University is pretty expensive and the University is dealing with a pretty tight budget (Just think about how much more money we will have to spend on utilities this year than was expected). The point Kevin made about a film major being very expensive to add is pretty accurate. I could easily see it costing 6 figures to get it started when you include all the additional salaries and equipment it would entail, and I can tell you for a fact that Drew simply doesn’t have that money just lying around.

Last edited by Gary A. Hochman : 11-01-2005 at 03:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-01-2005, 03:07 PM
E. Axel Larsson's Avatar
E. Axel Larsson E. Axel Larsson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Madison, NJ
Posts: 303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary A. Hochman
Without commenting on whether or not there should be a film major, I just wanted to say that Kevin isn’t really off base with his comment about expenses. A lot of students seem to go around with the attitude that “I pay $40,000 so I should get ….” and think that the school has a bunch of money floating around just waiting to be spent. First off, Drew’s tuition is not $40,000. The sticker price for 2005/2005 is $31,671. Now you can get to 40k if you throw in room and board ($8,412), but you can’t really consider that money that can be spent on academic programming. Further, the average student does not pay $31,671. The average Drew student is only paying somewhere around 65% of tuition and fees. The fact of the matter is that running a University is pretty expensive and the University is dealing with a pretty tight budget (Just think about how much more money we will have to spend on utilities this year than was expected). The point Kevin made about a film major being very expensive to add is pretty accurate. I could easily see it costing 6 figures to get it started when you include all the additional salaries and equipment it would entail, and I can tell you for a fact that Drew simply doesn’t have that money just lying around.
This is absolutely right. The other thing to keep in mind is the relative age of the University (and specifically the CLA, which is young compared with the University as a whole) as compared with some of our peer and aspiration schools that have a similar tuition. The age of the college reflects directly on the size of the alumni base, which affects the quantity and size of donations we receive, and that directly affects the size of the endowment.

Many students (and having been a student myself not to long ago, I'll count myself among them) assume there is a lot more money available than there actually is.
__________________
E. Axel Larsson
Systems Architect and Director of the Enterprise Technology Center
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-01-2005, 03:20 PM
Paul R. Coen's Avatar
Paul R. Coen Paul R. Coen is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Madison, NJ
Posts: 140
Default

I'd also point out that the faculty have to approve new programs, not just in concept, but in terms of the content and focus. Getting significant faculty support is really the key. It's worth noting that the College faculty rejected a Communications major on at least one occasion that I'm aware of.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.5.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Drew University is not responsible for the content of posts made on this site. All posts and comments reflect the opinion of the author.