uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2006, 09:46 PM
Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raquel V. Cedeno
Jennings, Webb, King? haha
Webb is really nice, she'll stop you in the halls and ask how you're doing. She is always willing to help you w/ material. King (I assume you mean Baldwin King) is a lab prof. He's got an accent that can make it hard to understand what he's explaining and can move pretty quick through the mechanisms on the board. But he's pretty nice and is helpful if you're confused.

"I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence."
Old 08-23-2006, 09:58 PM
Raquel V. Cedeno

awesome thanks everyone!
Old 08-23-2006, 11:04 PM
Benjamin R. Shedlock

Drew's a small place with generally small classes. If you went here for the size, you get what you pay for. I have friends at bigger places that haven't never spoken one on one.... Even if you don't like a professor, this is a definite advantage. The circumstances surrounding the professors are excellent.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:39 AM
Evan L. Kimberly

thats a tricky question. i'd personally be concerned with how many people have rated the professors. if a professor has a terrible rating but has only been looked at by two people, i wouldnt take it that seriously. now if he was looked at by twelve....

as a side question, who do you have?
Old 08-24-2006, 08:48 AM
Dia O'Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin R. Newell
I just went to ratemyprofessors.com and basically 3 out of my five professors are considered horrible. How seriously should I take this site.

eh, whatever. i dont put much stock into rate-my-whatever websites. i have found that people generally only vote if they hate a professor so much that bitching to their friends doesn't satiate the rage. also, a poor rating can often mean that the professor just gives a lot of homework [which is NOT a mark of a bad professor]. and honestly, every professor is different to every person. there's only one professor at drew that i honestly can't stand, and i know people who adore him. so, like everything in life, a professor being good or bad is totally subjective and dependent on the person taking the class. so don't completely dismiss a professor simply because a few people voted negatively for them on a website.

that said, i WILL say that asking around about a professor is definitely a good idea if you're ambivalent about whether or not to take a certain class. it's better to rely on friends, though, rather than a website, because you know your friends and what they do and don't like, and thus are more able to properly [and fairly] judge whether you will like a professor. ALSO, you're not going to be able to avoid some bad professors. while almost every professor i have had has been phenomenal, every school has its bad eggs. try and pick them out the best you can. drew definitely has more good professors than bad ones. in two years i can count at least three classes that have truly changed me. i'm not talking just "oh wow now i look at that differently" but actually challenged and reformed some of my core beliefs and goals in life. that's pretty impressive that one person's teaching could do that, you know?

...and if you ever get a chance to take a class with prof. butler, prof. cassady, prof. hala, prof. smith-wright, prof. liebowitz, or prof. boglioli, DO IT
Old 08-24-2006, 10:41 AM
Raquel V. Cedeno

well either way i will be finding out whether i like them myself verrry soon. freaking out haha
Old 08-24-2006, 10:47 AM
Meaghan E. Bratichak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dia O'Neil

...and if you ever get a chance to take a class with prof. butler, prof. cassady, prof. hala, prof. smith-wright, prof. liebowitz, or prof. boglioli, DO IT

i double the recommendation on boglioli... and i'll add jamieson, kuntz, and yordan
Old 08-24-2006, 02:11 PM
Emily Smykla

FYI: Drew made Princetonreview's "Teachers Get High Marks" category on their best schools list this year. We're #19
Old 08-24-2006, 02:46 PM

I wouldn't take ratemyprofessors.com too seriously. I think it's worth looking at, not for ratings but for what people say if they do. I find I can tell the people who are giving a bad rating because they got a bad grade from the ones who have more carefully considered criticism of an instructor. Even then large amounts of salt are required, for positive and negative ratings.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:56 PM
Henry W. Coates

I'd like to direct everybody here to take a class with Dr. Cole. His ethics classes are some of the best classes offered at Drew, hands down. He also talks with a southern accent, and is secretly a very big fan of Japanese movies.