Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students > Current CLA students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2005, 04:04 PM
Benjamin R. Shedlock

Default Bike storage

Okay. Here's my dillemma. I have three bikes. I have one for the road, one for training inside, and one for knocking around campus. I am going to bring the road bike no matter what (I've already figured out that I can just hang that sucker from the cieling). Does anyone have any clue as to the ability to hang more than one bike in a room or do they know of on-campus storage for another (maybe 2). These are fairly expensive so I'm not looking to lock them outside.
Thanks!!
Old 07-25-2005, 04:40 PM
Gary A. Hochman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin R. Shedlock
Okay. Here's my dillemma. I have three bikes. I have one for the road, one for training inside, and one for knocking around campus. I am going to bring the road bike no matter what (I've already figured out that I can just hang that sucker from the cieling). Does anyone have any clue as to the ability to hang more than one bike in a room or do they know of on-campus storage for another (maybe 2). These are fairly expensive so I'm not looking to lock them outside.
Thanks!!

Ben,
I hate to throw a wrench into your plan, but according to Daniel's Dictionary (Drew's student handbook), "No decorations may be hung on the ceiling or from the fire sprinkler heads." I've already checked with an RD and have confirmed that this would apply to a bike rack. Now I am not going to lie and say that everyone follows all the rules about how you can decorate your room, however some objects are easier to hide during room inspections than others. A bike rack hanging from the ceiling, I imagine, would be quite hard to hide. Also, you might want to consider your rooommate's feelings. Most of the rooms on campus do not have terribly high ceilings (with the exception of Hoyt), and your roommate might not be too keen on hitting their head every time they move around. I know that the bike rack for Riker is inside, and you could lock your bike up there, but it is still in a common area (right inside the basement entrance).

Last edited by Gary A. Hochman : 07-25-2005 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:04 AM
Zachary C. Kanfer

you could get a loft and then store a bike or two under it.

I bought a loft from Universal Furnishings, and it worked really well. It gave a lot more space than the ones Drew offers (because it's higher), and is treated to be fire retardant, even (which drew requires). It takes about an hour to set up, and a bit less to take down. I'd totally recommend it.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:15 PM
Eliza D. Mills

Default lofts

Hey,
Speaking of lofts, does anyone know if Drew rents them or where there is a good place to get one? I don't want a really tall one but one I could fit a refrigerator and some storage things under. Thanks for any suggestions ! - Liza
Old 07-26-2005, 03:07 PM
Gary A. Hochman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza D. Mills
Hey,
Speaking of lofts, does anyone know if Drew rents them or where there is a good place to get one? I don't want a really tall one but one I could fit a refrigerator and some storage things under. Thanks for any suggestions ! - Liza

We are sending out a mailing tommorow that will have card of one of the loft places in it. Another alternative if you just want to be able to fit a fridge and some other things under it, is to buy cinder blocks and put those underneath the bed. With 2 under each post I was able to fit the largest size fridge that you are allowed to have (4 cubic feet). They are a pain to move, but cost under $10 total.

Last edited by Gary A. Hochman : 07-26-2005 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:37 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

also, the bottom bed of the two can be arranged to be higher off the ground. there's a small amount of labor involved. You end up taking off the brackets, then putting them on upside down. The bed gets raised threeish feet up. Maybe a little more. You'll need two wrenches to loosen and tighten the bolts, though. I'd recommend it if you don't get a loft or bunk the beds.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:33 PM
Jennifer M. Krynicky

Default Hey

Hey everybody! What about leaving for breaks. Its says all personal belongings must be removed. Do they mean EVERYTHING? What if you have a loft as a bed do you have to bring that too? Is there storage on campus what do you do with it when you leave? laterz
Old 07-26-2005, 10:39 PM
Jennifer M. Krynicky

Red face

and what about the tv and and refrigerator?
Old 07-26-2005, 11:42 PM
Gary A. Hochman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer M. Krynicky
Hey everybody! What about leaving for breaks. Its says all personal belongings must be removed. Do they mean EVERYTHING? What if you have a loft as a bed do you have to bring that too? Is there storage on campus what do you do with it when you leave? laterz

The only break that applies to really is summer break, since you have to check out of your room at the end of the year. Any other time you have leave things in your room, but everything has to be unplugged (on some smaller breaks, such as Thanksgiving, you can leave your fridge plugged in). The exception to this being that some halls are used as temp housing during breaks, so while you don't have to take everything out, someone else will potentially be living in your room. None of the first year halls are used for these breaks though.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:55 PM
Benjamin R. Shedlock

so, right, the loft seems like a promising option. Now, what happens to the bed they provide you?