Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > Theo Students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2009, 12:46 AM
Squirrel

Unhappy An Issue of Concern

Hello fellow Theo students,

As a strong supporter of LGBTQ rights, I recently have been messing around on the internet and came across a surprising discovery.

Of the Organizational Contributers to the "Yes on 8" campaign to ban same-sex marriage in California this recent election, 1.2 million dollars, one of the largest contributions, was made by an organization called Fieldstead and Company. I went on their website to find out more information, and came across disturbing information. Fieldstead and Company ALSO gave Drew University a grant (the amount unknown to me) to support Drew's "Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture" series.

As a person who studies gender and sexuality of the NT, and attending Drew for the strong support of this research by its faculty, I was surprised to find that an organization such as this would fund Drew. Now, granted, this grant, I think, was several years ago, it does raise and interesting question about who is supporting the programs that you and I take advantage of?

I don't mean to start anything big with this discovery, just to make you think, ask questions, and I only to ask one thing. If you support LGBTQ rights, please do not purchase any of the books of the Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture series. I hate to take money from Drew, as obviously I support Drew's programs, but I (and hopefully you, too) cannot support a project that is supported financially from a company that so blatantly (and to the 1.2 million dollar extreme) opposes some of my fundamental beliefs.

Just thought I'd share my discovery.

Sincerely,
Christina
Old 01-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Junior Drewid

I'm not sure I understand. Is this organization controlling Drew's programs in some way?
Old 01-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Christian Ciobanu

Default Re

Hi, I do not think this organization has any sway over Drew's policy because the grant was given to Drew's Theological School a few years ago. Therefore, I doubt that anything can be done now.

Despite the organization's negative views on LGBQT issues, it is a prominent Christian organization. It co-sponsored with "Food for the Hungry International, held in Thailand, Zimbabwe, Ecuador, and the Philippines; support for Watts Christian School, an inner city school in Los Angeles, California; and an international photo exhibit and book on the victims of war in Nagarno-Karabagh. Among current projects are support for music education for elementary students in public schools in Orange County, California; sponsorship of "Caravaggio: The Final Years," an exhibition at the National Gallery in London and funding for the Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture, twenty-eight volumes of patristic commentary on the Bible to be translated into seven languages, e.g., German French, Spanish, Russian, Arabic, Hindi, and Mandarin Chinese."

Last edited by Christian Ciobanu : 01-04-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:09 PM
Ranger Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Ciobanu
Among current projects are [...] sponsorship of "Caravaggio: The Final Years," an exhibition at the National Gallery in London
That the organization sponsors an exhibition of Caravaggio's works is kind of interesting, considering that many of his paintings are very homoerotic.