Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Technology Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2006, 11:54 AM
Jennifer L. Woodruff

Default Migrating to GroupWise from Thunderbird

I thought I'd post this here since others may have the same question.....I've been using Thunderbird instead of "regular" Mozilla for about a year and a half (downloaded it from the mozilla site and have no complaints about it). When we migrate, I'm wondering a) how to tell GroupWise to get my data from my Thunderbird profile instead of the 1.5 year old Mozilla profile (since 90% of my email I have saved in local folders) and/or b) if I would simply be able to keep using Thunderbird if I wanted.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer L. Woodruff
I thought I'd post this here since others may have the same question.....I've been using Thunderbird instead of "regular" Mozilla for about a year and a half (downloaded it from the mozilla site and have no complaints about it). When we migrate, I'm wondering a) how to tell GroupWise to get my data from my Thunderbird profile instead of the 1.5 year old Mozilla profile (since 90% of my email I have saved in local folders) and/or b) if I would simply be able to keep using Thunderbird if I wanted.
There are a few ways to migrate your own mail.

For faculty and staff, we have purchased licenses for a product called Transed Migrator. This can move data between a variety of products. For moving your mail on the server, you will do an IMAP4 Server > GroupWise copy. For moving local folders (including those in Mozilla and Mozilla Thunderbird) you will just be able to point the tool at your local profile and it will pull all of that mail into GroupWise. Although we are not supporting these apps, I can tell you that it can also move mail from Outlook and Outlook Express profiles amongst others.

You can also add the GroupWise server to your profile and move your messages by drag and drop. That's how we are going to have the students do it.

Once you've used Transend to move your messages, you can certainly access GroupWise via Mozilla Thunderbird. It does support IMAP, and you can access it that way if you wanted. Of course, there won't be much advantage in doing so since you won't be able to use the calendar and other GW features from within Thunderbird. Also, there won't be as much need for local folders with GroupWise because we are greatly increasing the mail quotas on the GroupWise system. Faculty/staff will have a 1GB quota.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:12 PM
Junior Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Axel Larsson
It does support IMAP, and you can access it that way if you wanted. Of course, there won't be much advantage in doing so since you won't be able to use the calendar and other GW features from within Thunderbird.

Um, could it be that using your preferred e-mail client would be an advantage?

Old 02-17-2006, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John D. Muccigrosso
Um, could it be that using your preferred e-mail client would be an advantage?

Sure, it could, if you don't care about the calendar, etc. You could also use some combination of WebAccess and IMAP to support your needs as well though.

I do want to be clear though in terms of support expectations. The supported clients will be the full-featured GroupWise clients and WebAccess. IMAP is provided as a convenience only. We won't guarantee service levels on the IMAP server component for GroupWise and support is only provided on a "best-effort" basis.

I'm not trying to be negative about it at all.. By all means, use IMAP if you like. I certainly do from time to time, and there are a few folks down here that use it more frequently. I just want to make sure there's a clear statement of expectations.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:04 AM
Junior Drewid

Quote:
The supported clients will be the full-featured GroupWise clients and WebAccess. IMAP is provided as a convenience only.

S'Okay, my client isn't supported now anyway.

It would be nice to see an internet standard like IMAP be officially fully supported though, much as I'm eager to try a shared calendaring system.

Oh, for a nice Drew WebDAV server to publish my iCal calendars on...
Old 02-18-2006, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John D. Muccigrosso
S'Okay, my client isn't supported now anyway.

It would be nice to see an internet standard like IMAP be officially fully supported though, much as I'm eager to try a shared calendaring system.

Oh, for a nice Drew WebDAV server to publish my iCal calendars on...
Nicer still if commercial entities were really developing the IMAP standard.. Problem is, that in the 90s IMAP basically turned into the "University mail protocol." Outside of the academic environment, it tends not to be used for day-to-day stuff, but yet some bare minimum of support is still expected for all mail products, as a lowest common denominator way to interoperate. Most corporate are on Exchange, GroupWise, or Notes, and this is where the feature sets are being developed.

The IMAP4 standard hasn't evolved, and even current clients offer lackluster implementations, not taking advantage of features like server-side sorting and virtual lists to reduce bandwidth needs. About the only mail client that actually spoke a decent dialect of IMAP was Mullberry, and about the only server that ever spoke the full dialect of IMAP commands was CMU's Cyrus server.

Sadly, I think IMAP is relegated to lowest common denominator duty from this point forward, part of every mail server and client, but undeveloped. Even the open-source folks have mostly given up on it, preferring instead to concentrate on fancy AJAX webmail interfaces.

In terms of calendaring standards we're seeing more action, but the space is still developing. vCal is pervasive as a standard for expressing appointments, notes, and tasks as mail attachments, and most mail systems, including GroupWise, will exchange appointments as vCal messages with internet users. vCal just gives you a standard format for these things, but doesn't give you a means of access into a calendar store, so no free/busy search if you just support vCal messages. CAP was an attempt at a calendar store access protocol, but didn't get much traction in the industry.

For calendar store access, things seem to be looking bright for CalDAV, which is WebDAV with specific extensions allowing for atomic manipulation of individual calendar items, rather than just upload/download of .ics files. I think most mail systems are going to end up supporting CalDAV in some form. It is rumored that the next major release of will provide a CalDAV interface to the calendar store. There remains one major problem with CalDAV though, a lack of a standard "discovery" mechanism for calendar URLs. The great thing about SMTP internet email is that in order to send one a message, I just need to know their email address. MX records in DNS take care of finding the mail server where those messages are to be routed. Presently, there is no such standard that can locate someone's calendar URL, so current implementations force people to enter calendar URLs into their address books in order to do free/busy searches.

In terms of publishing out your iCal calendar today, have you tried using the WebDAV server built into NetStorage? If you could get that to work, you could publish the calendar file to your www directory. Of course, this won't interoperate with GroupWise at all, for that, you'll have to wait for CalDAV support...

Last edited by E. Axel Larsson : 02-18-2006 at 12:53 AM.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:19 PM
Jennifer L. Woodruff

Smile

Quote:
Sure, it could, if you don't care about the calendar, etc. You could also use some combination of WebAccess and IMAP to support your needs as well though.

I do want to be clear though in terms of support expectations. The supported clients will be the full-featured GroupWise clients and WebAccess. IMAP is provided as a convenience only. We won't guarantee service levels on the IMAP server component for GroupWise and support is only provided on a "best-effort" basis.

I'm not trying to be negative about it at all.. By all means, use IMAP if you like. I certainly do from time to time, and there are a few folks down here that use it more frequently. I just want to make sure there's a clear statement of expectations.

I'm happy to give GroupWise a try (though I have no need for the calendar feature). Although so far (knock on vinyl) Thunderbird has only crashed on me once in two years (though I admit I am one of those people who knows just enough about software to be dangerous and not enough to be really useful.)

JLWT
Old 07-13-2008, 10:55 PM
Anish Shah

what is the pop3 and outgoing settings to set this up