Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Technology Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2008, 10:59 PM

Yes, but that doesn't explain how an email message came in to the system using the fully-quallified name. Someone or somethng would have had to have known about that address...

Have you received any mail addressed to jmuccigr.emppo1.drewdom@drew.edu before?
Old 03-27-2008, 11:01 PM
Junior Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan B. Reams
Actually that IS your account name. If you look closely you'll see your name, followed by the post office you're on, followed by the drew domain name. Think of it as a mailing address; if I sent you a post card at "John D. Mucciogrosso - Drew", I would not only get the post card back, but probably a snarky note from the post office asking why I presumed that they would know who and where you were from just "Drew". Fortunately, the GWIA is smart enough to be able to translate the internal addresses of user.post office.domain@internet domain into something the rest of the world can use and remember. This is pretty common on corporate email systems.
I know the difference, but in actual fact jmuccigr@drew.edu is my email address, and the other is just internal routing. Time was jmuccigr@Drew.edu pointed to this crazy "daniel" machine, now it points elsewhere, yet my email address by any reasonable definition has ever been the same (ok, ever in this case is 10 years).
Old 03-27-2008, 11:04 PM
Junior Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Axel Larsson
Yes, but that doesn't explain how an email message came in to the system using the fully-quallified name. Someone or somethng would have had to have known about that address...

Have you received any mail addressed to jmuccigr.emppo1.drewdom@drew.edu before?
I don't think so, but if it was delivered to my inbox along with the other mail I would likely not have noticed.

More important to me is why this other address is being treated as a valid alternative address by the system. When I log in, it's as jmuccigr, so it seems to know who the person is to whom this address is assigned.

A bug, I'd say.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John D. Muccigrosso
I don't think so, but if it was delivered to my inbox along with the other mail I would likely not have noticed.

More important to me is why this other address is being treated as a valid alternative address by the system. When I log in, it's as jmuccigr, so it seems to know who the person is to whom this address is assigned.

A bug, I'd say.
GroupWise knows that jmuccigr is a shortend version of jmuccigr.EmpPO1.DrewDOM. The Barracuda has no idea that is an alias. It knows nothing about GroupWise. It's just a gateway and will create a quarantine box for any valid address that GW accepts.

It's not a bug at all, since it's a valid GroupWise address. The question then is how'd that address get out there and be used outside of Drew. That's a question I can't answer without knowing more about the message that was captured into quarantine.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:47 AM
Squirrel

Default Logged out at random

Does anyone know why Barracuda repeatedly bounces folks out of a session, stating Invalid Username or Password. The usernames and passwords are correct - leaving them filled in as they are and just clicking on the Login button will successfully log one back into the session, but as soon as the person tries to execute an action, they're bounced out to the same error screen again. This may happen repeatedly and then spontaneously stop, may not happen at all through several successful actions, or may occur so persistently that the user gives up.

Anyone know why or how to make it go away?
Old 03-29-2008, 12:50 PM
Junior Drewid

OK, so since I deleted the quarantine message, how do I get back there?
Old 03-29-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny Palmieri
Does anyone know why Barracuda repeatedly bounces folks out of a session, stating Invalid Username or Password. The usernames and passwords are correct - leaving them filled in as they are and just clicking on the Login button will successfully log one back into the session, but as soon as the person tries to execute an action, they're bounced out to the same error screen again. This may happen repeatedly and then spontaneously stop, may not happen at all through several successful actions, or may occur so persistently that the user gives up.

Anyone know why or how to make it go away?
I have not seen this issue before. How are you logging into the Barracuda? Logging in to iChain by going to https://spam.drew.edu/ in your browser or using the "tab" in WebAccess? or clicking a link in a Quarantine report?
Old 03-29-2008, 09:41 PM
Squirrel

Quote:
I have not seen this issue before. How are you logging into the Barracuda? Logging in to iChain by going to https://spam.drew.edu/ in your browser or using the "tab" in WebAccess? or clicking a link in a Quarantine report?

Really? It's been happening to a number of users in the library, too. I'm logging in to iChain by going to https://spam.drew.edu. I rarely use WebAccess, and haven't used it at all to access Barracuda.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny Palmieri
Really? It's been happening to a number of users in the library, too. I'm logging in to iChain by going to https://spam.drew.edu. I rarely use WebAccess, and haven't used it at all to access Barracuda.
I thought I had an idea what might be causing it (and a possible solution), but if your description of how you are logging in is accurate, that just contradicted it unfortunately.

Are you certain the behavior is occuring when you go to https://spam.drew.edu/ and log in yourself at the Drew-branded uLogin screen? As opposed to clicking on the link in the Quarantine report in your email and being logged in to Barracuda automatically? (thus bypassing the iChain login)
Old 03-30-2008, 01:10 AM

Quote:
I thought I had an idea what might be causing it (and a possible solution), but if your description of how you are logging in is accurate, that just contradicted it unfortunately.

Are you certain the behavior is occuring when you go to https://spam.drew.edu/ and log in yourself at the Drew-branded uLogin screen? As opposed to clicking on the link in the Quarantine report in your email and being logged in to Barracuda automatically? (thus bypassing the iChain login)
Also going to https://spam.drew.edu/cgi-bin/index.cgi (or more to the point, bookmarking that URL), would be another way to do it. That would give you Barracuda's own login form and bypass the iChain login.

They key thing I need to know is if you have an active iChain session at the time you are seeing the problem, or are you only seeing the issue when you are not logged into iChain.

If the latter is what is happening, I may have an idea what is causing it and a possible solution...