Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Technology Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin K. Tokarski
soo.. the laptop comes with a trial of a virus scanner? or can we just put our own?

I use eset nod32 smart security, I really like it! It uses very little of the computers resources.. very protective.
The first-year notebooks will come with F-Prot 6, which is the University's standard virus scanner.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:17 PM
Junior Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan B. Reams
As good as the New York Times may be when it comes to world and US news, I have yet to read an article in the Times about computing that doesn't devolve into an Apple commercial in the first few paragraphs.
Please. Read almost anything by John Markoff that mentions Apple. The guy's been anti-Cupertino for decades. His latest is on Jobs' health.

It's only with OS X and the iPod that the Times has been giving Apple some good press...along with hiring David Pogue.

Couldn't be that Apple's amazing commercial and design successes have anything to do with the recent positive coverage, could it?
Old 07-26-2008, 08:37 PM

We install F-PROT for Windows, which has a new version that's pretty good. You can install another virus scanner (either additional or instead) but you would want to make sure it's updating automatically (which we do for the one we put on).
Old 07-26-2008, 09:27 PM
Ranger Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by John D. Muccigrosso
Please. Read almost anything by John Markoff that mentions Apple. The guy's been anti-Cupertino for decades. His latest is on Jobs' health.

It's only with OS X and the iPod that the Times has been giving Apple some good press...along with hiring David Pogue.

Couldn't be that Apple's amazing commercial and design successes have anything to do with the recent positive coverage, could it?

No, it couldn't actually. If you read the articles and know anything about the way Windows/PCs and Mac OS X/Macintosh computers developed you would see that there are several articles in the Times that have gross errors about the history of the two products and a strong bias that approaches advertising. They have absolutely nothing to do with Apple's amazing commercial and design successes. Suggesting that Windows Vista is really version 12 and is based directly on Windows 1 has nothing to do with Apple's amazing commercial and design successes. Writing an article about bloatware that ends with a link to pcdecrapifier.com has nothing to do with Apple's amazing commercial and design successes. Nothing in either of those articles has anything to do with Apple's amazing commercial and design successes. If they had talked about the differences in the design and structure of the two operating systems that led to Apple's amazing commercial and design successes or perhaps discussed why apple computers came with less trial software and how that may lead to Apple's amazing commercial and design successes, then yes you would be right. Perhaps they could talk about how Microsoft designed Windows NT, which through incremental changes evolved into Windows Vista, and how that process may have led to an overly complex piece of software on slower computers, then they could have compared that to Apple's amazing commercial and design successes. Unfortunately they don't. They are just embarrassingly poorly researched articles. This doesn't have anything to do with being anti-Cupertino or anti-PC; this is about bad journalism.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:57 PM
Benjamin K. Tokarski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richichi
We install F-PROT for Windows, which has a new version that's pretty good. You can install another virus scanner (either additional or instead) but you would want to make sure it's updating automatically (which we do for the one we put on).

Umm..

I'll just go along with whatever you guys suggest.. I could get nod 32 smart security at any time, its no biggy if the year runs out or whatever.. It updates almost daily I believe.

I'm somewhat technologically savvy. I just stay out of the pc vs. mac debates. theyre both good in my opinion, just mac doesnt let me play as many games.. and i'm a gamer.. so..

I could have both on a mac system, and run that dual boot.. I actually heard vista runs better on a mac.. lol. Never actually tried it though, nor am I willing to part with the money to conduct my own research on that theory.

Whats the battery life expectancy of the new drew laptops? And cooling... Does it keep cool? I'm going to be getting a cooling pad anyways.. If there are any suggestions, I'd gladly hear them!

I recently had my laptop, after 6 months of use, the motherboard fried out. Horray HP! Thankfully, its under 4 year warranty.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:54 AM
Ranger Cub

I'm not sure how the installation for fprot is handled these days with the new version of Zen. In the past, fprot is force-installed or force-updated whenever the zenworks application loader starts (when your computer boots up). While it is physically possible to get two anti-virus installations going at the same time, I think it'd get pretty annoying.

In my experience the Lenovos can get pretty toasty depending on what you're doing with them. They won't freeze up or anything unless there's something horribly wrong, and it's usually only the CPU/GPU that have any heat problems, the mainboard is usually pretty solid in this area, but they can run pretty hot.

I've got a Lenovo laptop that's roughly equivalent to the Drew computer from two years ago and I consistently get about 4 hours of runtime off of a full battery charge. I've seen results all over the map though. The batteries on some individual computers die in the first year and some last all through Drew and beyond. It depends on how well you take care of it and a lot of luck.

I can promise you that CNS will repair your fried out mainboard if it ever gets fried! So no worries! I think the Drew computer experience will be what you make of it. Some people come in expecting the computers to be bad and then they have all kinds of horror stories that are usually just user damage with a bit of bad luck. On the other hand, my Drew computer from 2003 is still chugging away; even it's battery still works!
Old 07-27-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin K. Tokarski
Umm..

I'll just go along with whatever you guys suggest.. I could get nod 32 smart security at any time, its no biggy if the year runs out or whatever.. It updates almost daily I believe.

I'm somewhat technologically savvy. I just stay out of the pc vs. mac debates. theyre both good in my opinion, just mac doesnt let me play as many games.. and i'm a gamer.. so..

I could have both on a mac system, and run that dual boot.. I actually heard vista runs better on a mac.. lol. Never actually tried it though, nor am I willing to part with the money to conduct my own research on that theory.

Whats the battery life expectancy of the new drew laptops? And cooling... Does it keep cool? I'm going to be getting a cooling pad anyways.. If there are any suggestions, I'd gladly hear them!

I recently had my laptop, after 6 months of use, the motherboard fried out. Horray HP! Thankfully, its under 4 year warranty.

One of the advancements that they tout on every model revision of the ThinkPads is improved cooling. The T400 in particular has a cooler running processor than the T61 (which was correspondingly cooler than the T60 on which I'm typing this) and improved fan design and cooling airflow. In fact, the fan on the T400 is even quieter than other T-series fans we've seen.

We're not going to solve the PC vs. Mac debate here. We don't try to. We're always looking at how to provide the services we do in the best way possible, and so far the single platform and standard laptops has had the best overall value and has helped students develop the technology skills they'll need after college. Plenty of people I know go through our program and end up using Macs at their work, grad school, or for personal use, and they seem to handle it just fine. My personal opinion, and I use and have used Windows, Linux, and Mac OS, is that there are far more similarities than differences, and most of the differences aren't necessarily in the platform itself but the applications that run on top of it, and which are best where is unpredictable (although Windows may have the edge since so much more software is built for it). I'm probably somewhat abnormal in this regard.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:24 AM
Benjamin K. Tokarski

soo is there a cooling pad that you'd recommend?
Old 08-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Daniel M. Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by John D. Muccigrosso

Some of it, I'm sure, but claiming that Macs don't have trial versions of software pre-installed is just false. I've run into problems with the trial version of office or iWork launching instead of the real ones when I double-click documents that should be associated with the real software.

Any of the four new Macs I've used over the years have had less bloatware than the new Dell, Toshiba, or Gateway computers I have also used at various points in time, but bloatware is still an ugly part of reality even on the Mac. The Times misreporting this shouldn't be because of some great design accomplishments on Apple's part.

Peace,
Daniel Lawson
Mac User and Assistant Professor of Economics
Drew University

--
Diaereses prevent diphthongs;
Support diacritics awareness.