Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Technology Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Nicole D. Entwistle

Default Onling Gaming Issues

Since returning to campus this semester, I've had a lot of problems having a stable playing experience in World of Warcraft. I've been getting very high latency (sometimes as high as 4000) and being disconnected often. I didn't have any of these problems last semester.

I play on a medium to high end desktop so I'm pretty confident that these issues can't be traced back to something on my computer. I've been trying to diagnose my issue by doing a trace route, but I get no response from any of the WoW servers/locations I'm trying to ping ("Request timed out" on every line except the first). Is the Drew firewall causing this? What can I do to try to figure out what the problem is?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice anyone can offer.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:23 PM
Ranger Cub

I played for a little bit when I first got to Drew about a year ago and there was always fairly high latency and a little bit of lag. If you're playing on the wireless network it might be disconnecting you because you're eating up a lot of bandwidth. Have you tried a ground line?
Old 09-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Nicole D. Entwistle

I'm using a wired connection in my dorm room. I didn't have any problems before this semester with high latency so it's particularly frustrating
Old 09-10-2009, 12:51 AM
Ranger Cub

I wouldn't be surprised if they just limit your bandwidth in general regardless of your connection. I know this summer they put in routers in most if not all of the buildings meaning they were working on their connection, they probably don't want a few people slowing it down for everyone else.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:20 AM
John M. Gavin

Default aim..too?

yeah i am having the same problem with aim and caming i will let me on for like a minute or not even then shut both aim and the cam down
Old 09-10-2009, 01:21 AM
Nicole D. Entwistle

Yeah that wouldn't surprise me either. If I am being capped, it'd be cool to know what I'm being capped at and if there is anything I can do on my end to improve my performance. I found an estimate of how much bandwidth WoW uses on average.

6 Kb/s Download = 360 Kb/min = 21 600 Kb/h = 21.09 Mb/hour
3 Kb/s upload = 180 Kb/min = 10 800 Kb/h = 10.54 Mb/hour

Is that very intensive for the network? I'm not really that computer savvy to make that kind of judgment.

Last edited by Nicole D. Entwistle : 09-10-2009 at 01:24 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:50 AM

We didn't put routers in any of the buildings. We put in new switches to replace the old ones, and wireless access points (not routers).

Our traffic shaping appliance doesn't do hard caps. In fact, until the internet connection hits a certain level of use, it doesn't bother interfering with anything. The bandwidth described doesn't seem high.

We'll look into it, but I can say that I haven't seen a lot of latency problems during the day. It's possible that the evening usage is significantly different. If we are hitting the limits, really the only way to fix it is to upgrade the connection.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Nicole D. Entwistle

I don't have many problems if I happen to be on during the day because most people are in classes. The problem is definitely during prime time internet usage. The majority of my play time that I consider important is between 7pm and 1am, so I guess its just a matter of everyone using the internet at the same time. It's just confusing and annoying because, though I've had some instances of poor latency in the past, it has never been as bad as it is now. I had always been able to make adjustments to my play to work around the high latency, but I can't adjust through consistent sluggish transmission, lockups, and disconnects.

Thanks for the response.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole D. Entwistle
I had always been able to make adjustments to my play to work around the high latency, but I can't adjust through consistent sluggish transmission, lockups, and disconnects.

Thanks for the response.

You're welcome - we've been taking a look at some of the network data today, and it does look like we're right at the edge of what our 100Mb internet connection can handle during the evenings. We've got a small priority bump for our servers - so incoming/outgoing email, web servers, etc. can actually function, but that's not much traffic. When we didn't do that, services stopped working, so that's not an option. It wouldn't improve things much anyway.

Remember, we do have more people on campus than we had last year, and it's possible that the current students of all classes are using the internet more than the recently graduated students were. That's a pattern we've seen over time.

Here's the problem - generally, the only way to increase connection speed to pay more. We're looking at our options, but there may not be that many at this time.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:28 AM

Ok, we've identified a potential problem - we've opened up a support incident with our provider, and hopefully we'll get a quick response. If we're correct and we get it resolved, it should improve things.