watch out, #2

your adversary is on the up-and-coming.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:15 AM
Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golly Tabatabaie
watch out, #2

your adversary is on the up-and-coming.

Man, your rough. Though I guess its your perogative how much you demand from your husbands, at least you give fair warning to them.

In terms of the internet usage issue, a few friends have come to me for answers (because they dont read this board), mostly I've been giving them the file sharing response. File sharing programs try to suck up as much bandwidth as possible to download things etc....

But it seems in the past couple of days specifically, a lot more people have been complaining to me about the aim disconnect thing.

As I said, right now its just a minor annoyance (to me at least), but members of the community (many of whom do not use file sharing software) are being negatively affected. Is there anyway to get a message across to those who do not read this board and instead rely on complaining to whoever will listen (I over hear a lot of "I pay blah blah blah for this college and I get a crappy internet connection etc...)that file sharing software is a part of the problem?

"I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence."
Old 11-07-2005, 09:47 AM
Junior Drewid

I suspect that our watchful network crew can easily tell which ports are getting the most traffic and therefore which internet activities are using the most bandwidth (google "bittorrent ports").

But shutting down specific ports in order to improve internet access via others may not be the most popular thing to do either. (Still, we already have a firewire set up for many ports <1024, don't we?)

Which is not to say that it doesn't happen on other campuses. Try googling "campus ban file sharing bittorrent".
Old 11-07-2005, 09:49 AM

Default Control

Well, to be fair, everything's slow. But the fact is what was a reasonable amount of bandwidth two years ago is no longer such; and the chief suspect is downloading of large files (not even music but movies nowadays). There's also a phenomenon where video and audio streams (online radio stations, CNN, etc.) are higher bandwidth than they used to be.

So it's mostly a case that the same amount of people are attempting to download 10x the data than they used to. We're obviously tuning down filesharing like BitTorrent in favor of interactive applications like Web surfing and live streaming, but we've reached the limit of how effective we can be by doing that.

I have at least anecdotal evidence that spyware-infected computers (and if you're doing filesharing, you probably have spyware, sorry) would actually feel slower than ones without spyware. This is probably because when you do normal things like surf a Web page, your computer is making other connections to other servers as well, and those are slowing the whole thing down. So cleaning up the spyware should help a lot. This may also stop some file sharing packages from working. Everything's a tradeoff.

So yes, to support even all "legal" use we need more bandwidth. But turning off all the stuff that people shouldn't be doing anyway, and dealing with your spyware, well, it wouldn't hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John D. Muccigrosso
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that since the problem is with our connection to the internet, students might use less of it, that is, turn off all filesharing software.

Or is it exactly this software that's runnig so slow and causing the complaints?
Old 11-07-2005, 09:52 AM

Default Sure

We're effectively shutting stuff down by how much we have to limit it so that things like the email can get through.

I'm not particularly interested in banning BitTorrent because we're finding that legitimate companies are using it to distribute, say, open source software, and it's very effective for that. Any of the file sharing protocols potentially have legitimate uses, so we try not to ban outright. We have in the past where it's just gotten completely unmanageable.

Not only do we firewall, but we're now using private addressing which effectively blocks things like Microsoft file sharing, Web servers, etc.

Our traffic shaping device gives us all sorts of pretty graphs and charts. Perhaps if we can find a few that would help people understand we'll put them up here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John D. Muccigrosso
I suspect that our watchful network crew can easily tell which ports are getting the most traffic and therefore which internet activities are using the most bandwidth (google "bittorrent ports").

But shutting down specific ports in order to improve internet access via others may not be the most popular thing to do either. (Still, we already have a firewire set up for many ports <1024, don't we?)

Which is not to say that it doesn't happen on other campuses. Try googling "campus ban file sharing bittorrent".
Old 11-07-2005, 11:14 AM
Amanda L. Brennan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin M. Giza
Alas, Drew loves to make us pay for things that not all of us need or want (i.e. our sparkling meal plan service). </threadjack>

lol@mealplan. I really hope this whole being served at your table twice a week thing isn't mandatory. I would much rather my tuition be spent on the internet and stupid plans like this.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:14 PM
Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda L. Brennan
lol@mealplan. I really hope this whole being served at your table twice a week thing isn't mandatory. I would much rather my tuition be spent on the internet and stupid plans like this.
Well I dont think it is mandatory (as the student pays for the service at the time they swipe their card). However, to me, it looks like a frivolous service. I would quote something from The Acorn , but their website has apparently been down since september 1st. I think I remember them saying that better food would acompany the at table service, it just seems that there could be a better use of time for those who would carry food to someones table. It is not an incredible energy expenditure to get up and get your own food.

But this is getting totally off topic for the forum.

"I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence."
Old 11-07-2005, 03:34 PM
Gary A. Hochman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin P. Egan
Well I dont think it is mandatory (as the student pays for the service at the time they swipe their card). However, to me, it looks like a frivolous service. I would quote something from The Acorn , but their website has apparently been down since september 1st. I think I remember them saying that better food would acompany the at table service, it just seems that there could be a better use of time for those who would carry food to someones table. It is not an incredible energy expenditure to get up and get your own food.

But this is getting totally off topic for the forum.

I think the food delivery part of this comes from the fact that steak/crab legs etc take time to cook, so they don't want to make you wait up there while it is cooking. If they were to work it as they do with the Grill currently where they put it out and you go up and get it, I have a feeling your tasty steak might somehow no longer be there by the time you go to pick it up, if you get my drift.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:52 PM
Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary A. Hochman
I think the food delivery part of this comes from the fact that steak/crab legs etc take time to cook, so they don't want to make you wait up there while it is cooking. If they were to work it as they do with the Grill currently where they put it out and you go up and get it, I have a feeling your tasty steak might somehow no longer be there by the time you go to pick it up, if you get my drift.
Hmmm, I always have wondered why my mushroom omelettes tend to sprout legs and walk off as I am heading towards the grill....

Old 11-07-2005, 06:48 PM
Elder Drewid

nice job guys