Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students > Current CLA students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2006, 07:01 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

Wow, I bought my loft for about that much, and it's higher.

Of course, I have to set it up on my own, but I get to keep it.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:31 PM
Matthew Ogonowski

yea i mean it is economically wiser in a sense to buy your own, but do you really see yourself using it outside of the college experience. i mean then in a way it's money and time wasted because after senior year it's kinda useless.

excpet maybe as firewood haha.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:51 PM
Alicia E. Lutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Glickman

no i know that i just mean that, as of yesterday or whenever i posted that, the form was not yet on the site. and as far as i know it still isn't.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:32 PM
Benjamin R. Shedlock

As for when they can be oredered, You can do it more or less anytime. A guy on my hall decided he wanted one a few weeks into the year, and they came and did it. It was only 20 bucks more. You'll have to clear space if you have them come in later, but that's not a big deal. If you're not sure, I'd suggest doing it that way.

Yeah, I ordered mine today, too. It's fun because you get to make jokes to your parents about your "lofty ambitions" or, the opposite, your intention to "get high" every night.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:05 AM
Zachary C. Kanfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Glickman
Do you remember where you bought it by any chance?

No, but I think the website I ordered it from went down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Ogonowski
yea i mean it is economically wiser in a sense to buy your own, but do you really see yourself using it outside of the college experience. i mean then in a way it's money and time wasted because after senior year it's kinda useless.

I don't see it that way at all. Let's say it cost $50 more the first year. I got it sophomore year, and used it junior year, and will use it senior year. For junior and senior years, it cost nothing. Cost of the drew loft: $180/year. Now, it would only be more cost-effective if I could take that extra $50 I spent the first year I had it and invested it in something that returned 500% profit per year. Since you won't find that (and have an at-all-acceptable amount of risk), yes, I consider it economically wiser an all senses.

Now, it does take time to put up, and I have to do it. It takes maybe two hours to put up, and one to take down. My father helps me put up the bed, and I take it down on my own. That's five man-hours total. $180/5 = $36/hr. Now, I don't make $36 an hour, so it's better for me to spend the time setting up the bed and saving the money than working to get the drew bed.

Also, I can sell it senior year. I don't know what I'll get (or that I won't pass it down to my sister), but $50 for a professional loft in good condition wouldn't be outrageous. And the original cost of the loft - $50 brings the cost down to the cost of the Drew bed.

I'm not saying it's the right choice for you, but it certainly was for me.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:03 AM
Mary Richmond

Okay, if you DO loft your bed, how the hell do you get up to your bed? Like, climb up the side, or what?
Old 08-01-2006, 01:15 AM
Emily Smykla

yep, it's like a bunk bed but without the lower bed.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:31 AM
Benjamin R. Shedlock

I had my desk in front of the rungs. That was problem. I'm tall, so I just developed some upper body strength going to bed every night.
Other friends of mine had more intelligent solutions, including step ladders, chairs, other furniture, and what have you.

And a grand tip of the hat to Zach for the brilliant analysis.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:11 AM
Zachary C. Kanfer

On most bunk beds there are rungs on the side you can climb up. I've also done the same thing Ben has and just had my desk right next to it.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:39 AM
Raven Brockriede

my roomie and I BOTH got lofts~!!!!!!
i'm happy!
SPACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol...

29 days!