Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students > Current CLA students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2006, 04:36 PM
Jacqueline DiLorenzo

Default Buying books

I have another question, haha.

I was looking at drewbooks.com, and it doesn't seem like any of the textbooks that are being sold are the correct editions I need, according to the bookstore. Is there really a big difference between 1 or 2 editions of the same textbook? In other words, would it matter if I bought the 6th or 7th edition ('cause it was cheaper) when I was supposed to get the 8th?

Also, is the bookstore correct in listing only one book for Intro to Psychology?
Old 08-05-2006, 05:08 PM
Ranger Cub

I wrote an email to the OC about a month ago and they said it's probabaly a good idea to wait and buy books after you get to school and that way ur moved in and know for sure what books you need.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:48 PM
Dia O'Neil

hrm...i'd stick with the edition listed, sadly enough. with fields like soc and psych and anth, especially, you're going to have lots of new field data and case studies in the newer editions - especially when the publishing dates are five and ten years apart. i know it's painful, but check out amazon and ebay and half.com and you SHOULD be able to find the books for at least slightly less than the cover price.

as for waiting, there are pros and cons to that strategy. pros - sometimes professors change what books are needed, and you don't want to end up buying more than you need. this hasn't ever happened to me, but i know people it has happened to.

cons - if you wait TOO long, the cheap books will have all been scarfed up and you'll end up paying full price anyway. or they won't arrive until a week or two into classes, and in many classes, you'll need all your books from the first day onward. i prefer to start early and grab all of my books for ridiculously low prices. and remember - when you're done with them, you can always sell them [but NEVER to the bookstore unless you want to be royally ripped off]. also, rest assured knowing that, unless you're going to be a science major, prices for books generally go down the higher level classes you take. intro level classes want you to have textbooks that cost a fortune - upper level classes generally require one or two $15 novel-length books. as with many things, it gets easier as you go along
Old 08-05-2006, 07:24 PM
Camille Gallo

I used Amazon. I saved a bit of money. But some books I got from the bookstore
Old 08-05-2006, 07:43 PM
Dia O'Neil

see above post. only use the drew bookstore as a last resort.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:56 PM
Squirrel

Should we wait to get our books when we are in orientation or should we go to Drew with them in hand?
Old 08-06-2006, 12:41 AM
Zachary C. Kanfer

You can get your books during orientation, or even after. There's certainly time. IIRC, the bookstore is open extra hours for a few days, to let people get books easier. Of course, if you buy them from the bookstore, you will be paying extra as compared to amazon or half.com or barnesandnoble.com.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:22 AM
David C. Flores

Just a little advice... I've had pretty good luck at getting the right books for classes ahead of time. What I usually do is go to drew.bkstr.com to find out what the title and author of the books plus the edition of the book I need for the class. Once I have the name of the the book and the author I head to amazon.com and search using the book title plus the author's name. Once you are there just look for the appropriate edition. Once you find the book look for the ISBN number. This is very helpful since you can search for books at half.com by just searching via the book's ISBN number. The ISBN number is specific to the edition so there is no reason you should get an earlier editions in your searches. I suggested half.com cause they seem to have the cheapest prices but at www.cheapestteextbooks.com, it will search different websites that include amazon.com and half.com so you should be able to find a good priced book. I know this is a little complicated... but it has worked for me.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:02 AM
Stacy Lewis

Hi everyone,
I was told by many ppl to use amazon.com, and I'm DEFINITELY glad I did. I bought all my books used from amazon, and ended up paying only $79.95 for 15 BOOKS!!!! I'm trying not to be too excited, b/c I'm sure that this just means next semester I'll be spending about $500 on texts. I guess I just lucked out this time. I would recomend that everyone check out the used sellers on amazon. After you type in the books you need, there will be a link that shows how many copies are available used from amazon-approved sellers. The great things is you can order from as many different used sellers as you want, and you only give your credit info to amazon, which then distributes all the seperate payments. That way, you don't have a bunch of small businesses all over with your credit info. Just thought I'd share... -stacy
Old 08-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Ranger Cub

Heyyy, I have a question. I went to drew.bkstr.com and entered the division, department, course, and section of my class (Engl 9, section 2), and it said there was "no information received for this course," but then I searched section 1 of the same course, and it had books listed...are the books the same for each section or do I have to wait until all sections have their books posted to be sure?